FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2013 2:58 PM  #1

Raymond_B's 66 Coupe

My first car was a Wimbledon White 1966 coupe that I bought in 1983. Complete with blown up 289, wiring issues, and a hole the size of a softball in the pass floorboard. Back then all I cared about was how fast it would go. But boy aftermarket parts weren't near as plentiful for Fords as they are now. Anyway I hotrodded the heck out of it, swapping out C4s and rear ends regularly before finally getting a small bellhousing C-6 and a 9". I even notched the shock towers and had a 460 sitting in the bay, but never got it running. After a while other things in life took priority and I left it at a buddy's shop. He got tired of keeping it inside and rolled it out back. I didn't know the windows were partially down.... It sat out there for a looong time and was ravaged by the weather. I got it back in my garage, but it seemed too far gone and I sold everything for something like 800.00 several years ago.

Then about a year or two ago I got the itch to get another coupe and restmod it with my son. I looked around and thought I made a decent purchase of another 66 white 6 cyl coupe for 6800.00 that came with a ton of extra parts. I found Steve's site right after that. I drove the car for a few months every so often and was having fun with it while I collected parts to swap it over to a healthy 351w, 9", COBRA Brakes, etc, etc. Just a while back I was looking at a paint bubble in the right rear quarter, well I looked closer and closer and found layer after layer of Bondo. Seems I pretty much bought my old 1st car back.....

Anyway since the car seems to have been encased in a Bondo shell I have stripped it completely and will start from scratch. The only silver lining is that I don't feel bad about modifying the car now.

Added some pics (thumbnails, click to see larger):

This is it coming home

Terrible previous rear quarter repair

A door made of Bondo

Stripping

Epoxy

4/10/2013 10:13 AM  #2

Re: Raymond_B's 66 Coupe

Looks like quite a project.  I'm encouraged by the progress you've made with the body work.  Looks good so far.

I'm getting closer and closer to the realization that I'll need to completely strip my 67 cpe to bare metal. 

Wish me luck.

4/10/2013 12:37 PM  #3

cgomate wrote:

Looks like quite a project. I'm encouraged by the progress you've made with the body work. Looks good so far.

I'm getting closer and closer to the realization that I'll need to completely strip my 67 cpe to bare metal.

Wish me luck.

Good luck!! And thank you. You know in the end it will be nice knowing that the car was completely taken down to the bare metal. At that point you know **exactly** what kind of foundation you have. No guessing. That's me trying to see the silver lining

4/28/2013 7:03 PM  #4

What stripper are you using?

4/28/2013 8:31 PM  #5

cody251 wrote:

What stripper are you using?

I used some from Home Depot, don't remember the name, but it was the most agressive stuff they had. Definitely not the organic orange product. After I washed it down and nuetralized it I DA'd the car with 80 grit. I also learned the lesson that cheap Harbor Freight sandpaper = more work! I changed to 3M gold DA discs and it was like night and day. Much easier and the discs lasted a lot longer.

7/08/2013 4:17 PM  #6

FYI

the chemical  stripper works a ton better if you scuff the panel with sandpaper beforehand.  It gives the stripper a path to lower layers of paint.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.