FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2013 5:37 PM  #1

"How-To" modify 65/66 GT tailpipe tips to fit 2-1/4" tailpipes

Pictures tell the story:

2-1/2" JBA tips (too big)
1-7/8" stock GT tip (too small)

Cut off the tip at the 2-1/4" diameter point in the taper.  A piece of 2-1/4" pipe slipped over it makes this real easy.  Just mark where the pipe stops on the taper.

When you cut it, you will wind up with an inner and an outer section

Hammer the louvers in as far as you can.  This will allow room for the cutoff wheel to fit inside the tip.

Once the louver is flattened out, use a cutoff wheel to cut the ID of the tip to remove the louver.  Be careful, you are cutting thorough only the first layer of a double wall pipe!

Once the louver is removed, tack weld the two pieces of pipe back together

Clean up the welds, then weld a section of 2-1/4" tube to the tapered tip.  I have found that 2-1/2" is so big, the welds end up too far towards the big end of the tip and can show through the hole in the valance.  If you are using 2-1/2" pipes like on my 66, take the 2-1/4" tube to a muffler shop and have them expand the 2-1/4" tube so it fits over a 2-1/2" pipe.  That hides the welds behind the expanded part so you get a clean look.

Finished result.  You CAN weld these in place so you don't have to have a helper run along behind the car to hold them in position.  When installing these, get all the hangers in place and weld the tips last so you can get a perfect fit.

2-1/4" open through tip (just right!)

If you take the extra time to get everything squared up and equal height, your exhaust system will look alot better.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/07/2013 2:11 PM  #2

Re: "How-To" modify 65/66 GT tailpipe tips to fit 2-1/4" tailpipes

nice Tips Steve ever considered making and selling them??

jimmy O

9/08/2013 8:56 PM  #3

I doubt anyone would pay for all the effort it takes to make them.  I figure I have about $500 in the pair considering I bought a new pair of concours tips and modified them, including all the time I spent on them.

Scott Drake makes a set now with 2" pipes that they say can be expanded to 2-1/4", but they still have the louvers in them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2021 7:11 PM  #4

I WISH ALL THE PICTURES WERE STILL THERE.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.