FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2021 10:27 PM  #1

Am I the only one that appreciated guys like Mickey Thompson (revised

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mickey-thompson-427-ford-hemi.1217234/page-2

Seems like Mickey T was.......... the "Smokey Yunick" of Pontiacs butt especially all-things-FoMoCo
To bad he came to such a tragic and early end of life. (A story worth reading)
Take a look at this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^thread^^^ and look at the cutting-edge stuff on this FE engine.
Amazing!!!

I would bet this 63 would be worth millions!!!! (Can hardly wait for the video of when they fire-it-up!)
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/19/2021 6:47 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/12/2021 6:10 AM  #2

Re: Am I the only one that appreciated guys like Mickey Thompson (revised

Smokey had a great deal of respect for MT.  He discusses his experiences with him at length in his autobiography.  Smokey penned a whole section about guys he felt never got their due, as well as the truth about a lot of racing legends, and you know Smokey always told it the way he saw it.  MT was brilliant in both engineering and business.  Truly a shame. 

1/12/2021 7:45 AM  #3

His son Danny lives about 25 miles south of us.  He hosts a little car show every year to help fund his B-Ville efforts.  He went 450.909 in '18...in Mickey's old car, worked over, of course.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLgPyKwJbuAhUJHs0KHZN3BjcQwqsBMAN6BAgFEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCi6GYi8S-2Q&usg=AOvVaw2N2hl9OdV1nR65hQd4tLbF

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/12/2021 10:21 AM  #4

Too bad we couldn'ta met him at the bash!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/12/2021 11:07 AM  #5

My recollection is the same as the others as to his skills as an innovator and business man.  However I also remember that he was kind of a sleazebag.  Wheeler-dealer and easy with the finances.  It was a shame.

I once got a hands on (touching only) experience with his stream liner when it had the 4 Pontiacs in it.  I was thrilled.  It was at Lions dragstrip one Saturday night when Tommy Ivo, Stones-Wood-Cook, and others were there too. One of the happier days in my life.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (1/12/2021 11:08 AM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/12/2021 11:31 AM  #6

No Sal, you're not.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/12/2021 4:45 PM  #7

lowercasesteve wrote:

I once got a hands on (touching only) experience with his stream liner when it had the 4 Pontiacs in it.  I was thrilled.  It was at Lions dragstrip one Saturday night when Tommy Ivo, Stones-Wood-Cook, and others were there too. One of the happier days in my life.

Maybe I could kiss-that-hand?!!
6sal6

1/13/2021 12:22 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

Too bad we couldn'ta met him at the bash!!!
6sal6

Hey Mike...I delivered a genni original GT500, 427 side oiler for your viewing pleasure.  What else do ya need?  I mean...jeeze.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/19/2021 6:39 PM  #9

Easy a multi-million dollar car. (Sure sounds like a million to me!.....I think I just pee'd a little when he rev'ed it up!)
6sal6

https://youtu.be/xtY7OMT49CE?t=168

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/19/2021 6:44 PM)

1/20/2021 12:08 PM  #10

I just wish I was introduced to the car scene much earlier than I was or to have been born earlier.  I think those years with all of the legends were days of racing that will never be repeated.

1/20/2021 5:02 PM  #11

RTM wrote:

I just wish I was introduced to the car scene much earlier than I was or to have been born earlier.  I think those years with all of the legends were days of racing that will never be repeated.

Yep!!!...........Boomers set the bar for cool.
   Maybe its 'cause I'm old butt....it seems like the greatest time to have been alive in the US.
"and the worst of times"
6sal6

1/21/2021 6:40 AM  #12

Its mainly that racing was very different back then.  The face of racing was changed drastically when corporate sponsorship got involved.  Watch Days of Thunder and realize how much different NASCAR is today, and that film was made in 1990.  Without corporate sponsorship the personalities were a lot different, because they weren't beholden to anyone. 

The increased class structure and rules also play a part.  In the early days there were no rules, so you saw tremendous innovations and a lot of crazy cool cars.  As everything struggled to get to a point where it was "fair" the craziness was killed off.  Its not that guys aren't innovating today, its that those innovations are a lot harder to see and much harder to understand.

1/21/2021 10:23 AM  #13

I quit watching NASCAR years ago. I'm sure for some its just as trilling with speeds they go and closeness of the races. But I miss  being able to see at a glance what brand of car is running where. I loved the competition between hemi,  427 ford and big block chevy. I know showing my age oh well.

1/21/2021 12:43 PM  #14

pbrownrk wrote:

I quit watching NASCAR years ago. I'm sure for some its just as trilling with speeds they go and closeness of the races. But I miss  being able to see at a glance what brand of car is running where. I loved the competition between hemi,  427 ford and big block chevy. I know showing my age oh well.

YEP!!..............Me too.  See my above post!

I have found NASCAR is a great sedative on a Sunday afternoon right after a nice tofu & hummus meal...Pretty boring. Obvious how its manipulated to  have a BIG TIME FINISH!!  "It looks like a real drag race to the finish guys....these neck-to-neck races these professional drivers is a real nail biter....Boogity-boogity-boogity..." Crappy!!
Don't-get-me-started!!!
Mickey.....Smokey.....Big Daddy....Jenkins....Dyno Don... They wrote the book!!!
6sal6

1/21/2021 2:10 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

pbrownrk wrote:

YEP!!..............Me too. See my above post!

I have found NASCAR is a great sedative on a Sunday afternoon right after a nice tofu & hummus meal...Pretty boring. Obvious how its manipulated to have a BIG TIME FINISH!! "It looks like a real drag race to the finish guys....these neck-to-neck races these professional drivers is a real nail biter....Boogity-boogity-boogity..." Crappy!!
Don't-get-me-started!!!
Mickey.....Smokey.....Big Daddy....Jenkins....Dyno Don... They wrote the book!!!
6sal6

Yep, bunch of big money cars with not even a single fastener the same as what you can buy off the showroom floor.  Rules designed so the cars are basically the same.  Remember when drivers used to race NASCAR in hopes of getting to race Indycar?  Today they leave Indycar to make more money in NASCAR.  Its pretty weak racing IMO.  Cars used to be stock wit only safety upgrades and what a clever builder could get through tech.  The heyday was honestly a different sport.  Today its not stock car racing; its NASCAR.  The teams don't even build their own chassis anymore they buy them from NASCAR. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.