FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2021 9:30 PM  #1

WHAT MUFFLERS ARE YALL RUNNING AND PIPES EXHAUST TIPS ON GT VALENCE

WHAT TIPS ARE YALL USING ON YOU GT VALENCE? I DONT REALLY LIKE THE TRUMPETS. I FINALLY THINK I MAY HAVE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE VIBRATION IS. ONE OF MY HANGERS HAD BROKE AND IT WAS CAUSING TAIL PIPE TO VIBRATE MOST NOTICEABLE AT 60-70 MPH. THE MUFFLER GUY SAID YOU NEED A SMALLER TIP. HE SHOWED ME WHERE BOTH TIPS WERE RESTING ON THE VALENCE. I HAVE 2 1/2 INCH TAILPIPES AND THEY ARE MANDREL BENTOVER THE REAREND SO DONT REALLY WANT TO CHANGE THEM BUT NEED A SLIMMER TIP TO WHERE IT HAS A LITTLE MORE FLEX. I STILL AINT MASTERED THE ART OF POSTING PICTURES.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/21/2021 8:34 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/02/2021 9:40 PM  #2

Re: WHAT MUFFLERS ARE YALL RUNNING AND PIPES EXHAUST TIPS ON GT VALENCE

GT trumpets, cut at 2.5” diameter part of the taper, welded to 2.5” pipe.  Louvers hammered in, then cut out by cutting the I.D. with a small cutoff wheel.

There are lots of tips available so you can find what you like.  I just prefer the original look. Plus, they fit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/02/2021 10:00 PM  #3

I WILL LOOK INTO THOSE TOO,

upload image free

3/02/2021 10:02 PM  #4

I WILL TAKE A PICTURE OF MINE TOMORROW I GUESS I CAN POST A PICTURE LOL.

3/03/2021 9:35 AM  #5

Josh just put these on the MTFB.  I think they fit quite well.

3/05/2021 10:05 AM  #6

1966 Mustang Coupe w/ 5.0 Swap, T5z

upload

https://www.jegs.com/i/JBA/578/40-2653/10002/-1?msclkid=769adfa5c4101e32fee7bfe792705253&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BSC%20-%20Vendor%20Only%20Searches&utm_term=4579328492864412&utm_content=JBA

They look great.  Had to fight with the incompetent exhaust guy who said they wouldn't fit.  I can find some better pictures if you'd like.

3/20/2021 8:49 PM  #7

THEY LOOK GOOD.

3/21/2021 8:31 PM  #8

THINKING ABOUT TAKIG THE 18 YEAR OLD 40 SERIES FLOWMASTERS OFF AND TAKET THE 2.5 TAILPIPES AND GO TO 2 INCH PIPE FROM MUFFLER BACK TO QUITEING IT DOWN AND GET RID OF ANY DRONE. NOT SURE WHAT MUFFLER TO GO WITH.

3/22/2021 1:15 AM  #9

BILLY, I put Walker Quiet Flows on mine with 2-1/2 inch pipes all the way through. No drone on my car.
The car sounds tough on acceleration and has a nice note on idle, but on the interstate, it's not obnoxious and there is no drone.
Before the Walker Quiet Flows, I used to have cabin noise and drone.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/22/2021 5:15 AM  #10

JBA shorties to an X-pipe I modified (part JBA, part Magnaflow) to Magnaflow exhaust ending in factory style GT rolled lip stainless tips I modified to make to a 2-1/2" exhaust pipe.  I built hangers for the tailpipes that allowed me to adjust where they go side to side and up and down so the tips hit the cutouts in the valance perfectly.  I have a '67, so its a bit easier than the earlier cars. 

3/22/2021 8:47 PM  #11

Toploader wrote:

BILLY, I put Walker Quiet Flows on mine with 2-1/2 inch pipes all the way through. No drone on my car.
The car sounds tough on acceleration and has a nice note on idle, but on the interstate, it's not obnoxious and there is no drone.
Before the Walker Quiet Flows, I used to have cabin noise and drone.

I WILL LOOK INTO THE WALKER QUITE FLOWS. HAD BEEN CONSIDERING THE FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES,

3/23/2021 12:58 AM  #12

I can't offer comment on Flowmasters BILLY. MS recommended the Walker Quiet Flows to me and shared his experience, so I listened up and took his advice. I love my exhaust system and having conversation while zooming down the freely is no problem for me either.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/23/2021 8:17 AM  #13

I used to have flowmaster 50 series on my car.  They were quiet and drone-free on the highway.  Nice powerful sound when accelerating. Only reason I removed them was they are so heavy, and I was chasing the ever-present resonant vibration.  Removing them did not remove the vibration.

Then I found the Quiet Flow mufflers.  They are great, but you do give up a few HP.  NO CONCERNS OVER THAT, though. The sound is perfect.

3/23/2021 8:28 AM  #14

I have Flow Master 50s on mine. Nice sound and no interior noise. They’re over 10 years old and the sound has gotten better over the years. They really sound good when I stomp it!

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/23/2021 9:24 PM  #15

I AM INTERESTED IN THE WALKER  QUITE FLOWS.....WHERE YALL BEEN BUYING FROM?

3/23/2021 11:37 PM  #16

I purchased mine from Rock Auto. I think it was the cheapest price at the time.

3/24/2021 6:30 PM  #17

MS wrote:

I used to have flowmaster 50 series on my car. They were quiet and drone-free on the highway. Nice powerful sound when accelerating. Only reason I removed them was they are so heavy, and I was chasing the ever-present resonant vibration. Removing them did not remove the vibration.

Then I found the Quiet Flow mufflers. They are great, but you do give up a few HP. NO CONCERNS OVER THAT, though. The sound is perfect.

I SAW  A PICTURE OF YOUR MUFFLER ON THAT POST WHERE YOU WERE SHOWING THE SCRATCHES WHERE YOU BACKED OFF THE DRIVEWAY,

IT IS A WALKER QUITE FLOW 3   21856 CADDILAC MUFFLER.  $58.99 EACH AT SUMMIT

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/24/2021 7:30 PM)

3/26/2021 9:31 PM  #18

ORDERED 2 WALKER QUITE FLOW 3  MODEL NUMBER 21856 MUFFLERS OFF AMAZON FOR $58.78 EACH WITH FREE SHIPPING WHICH MADE THEM CHEAPER THAN ANYWHERE. ALSO ORDERED A PAIR OF THE GT STYLE TRUMPET EXHAUST TIPS. I AM GONNA GET MY OLD SHOCKS, STOCK  4 LEAF SPRINGS WITH 2 INCH LOWERING BLOCKS OFF AND PUT MY NEW REVERSE EYE 5 LEAF SPRINGS AND NEW BILSTEIN SHOCKS ON AND THEN PUT MUFFLERS AND TIPS ON MAY HAVE TO REDO TAIL PIPES A LITTLE I AM SURE IT WILL SIT A LITTLE DIFFERENT BACK THERE.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/26/2021 9:32 PM)

3/26/2021 9:37 PM  #19

WELL I COULD HAVE SAVED ABOUT 7 DOLLARS GETTING THEM AT ROCKAUTO ....WEBSITE CRASHED BEFORE I COULD CANCEL

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/26/2021 9:43 PM)

3/27/2021 5:37 PM  #20

I was out on the freeway the other night BILLY and was reminded how much I love the Walker Quiet flows on mine. Sounds great on acceleration and its pretty quiet as I cruise along at speed.
Let me know what you think when you get them fitted.

3/28/2021 9:52 AM  #21

MAYBE I WILL HAVE MY SPRINGS AND SHOCKS ON THIS WEEK.

3/28/2021 4:57 PM  #22

You could just forget the valance with holes in 'em and make some 1/2 holes "eye-brows"!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/28/2021 4:59 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/28/2021 5:14 PM  #23

HOW DID YOU DO THAT ?? I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TOO.

3/28/2021 7:28 PM  #24

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.