FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2021 1:38 PM  #26

Re: Heres a new topic to discuss!!!

IF.........the level was a little lower we could see just how much it was flowing!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/18/2021 4:34 PM  #27

Flowing very well, as it should

9/19/2021 7:49 AM  #28

6sally6 wrote:

IF.........the level was a little lower we could see just how much it was flowing!
6s6

The level is 1" below the bottom of the neck.  In that video it appears to be higher

9/19/2021 9:13 AM  #29

Looks good to me.
Throw a new or tested 16# cap and it will find it’s level with or without an overflow tank.

Did you verify the fan blade orientation as mentioned earlier?

9/19/2021 11:50 AM  #30

yes, the airflow is correct!!

9/19/2021 12:01 PM  #31

years ago when I first started following MS I had over heating issues in my 64 falcon. I opened up the radiator core support, installed a 24" radiator, it helped, but then when I added air conditioning, over hearting again. at that point I added a fan shroud, that helped but what really fixed it for the last time, was a 7 blade fan (mopar) I found as I was leaving pate swap meet. made it fit, zero over heating issues now setting in traffic with the air on. just a .030 over bored 302 W

9/20/2021 8:49 AM  #32

Can't really comment as I've haven't looked at mine.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/21/2021 12:28 AM  #33

Hearing about overheating issues always intrigues me. I often hear about people putting on electric fans and alloy radiators to fix this issue.
It makes me wonder if overheating was always an issue for the old Fords, Chevy, Chrysler...? I can never understand why all of a sudden there are so many stories on the internet about these things overheating.
Personally, I only ever had one time where mine overheated and that was due to the radiator needing to be properly flushed out by a shop. I've never had an issue since and I still run the 4 blade fan and copper/brass radiator.
I don't like the electric fan and alloy radiator concept myself and I try to trust the old Ford Engineers had it sorted out.
I will be adding a fan shroud soon though.

Last edited by Toploader (9/21/2021 12:28 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/21/2021 9:51 AM  #34

I cut my 69  out and added a fox body champion 5.0 radiator along with a Derale dual fan. It really moves
some air while at idle. I do agree with MS I do have something wrong with my block or heads that makes it hear up quickly also.   

9/21/2021 10:00 AM  #35

val fulesday wrote:

years ago when I first started following MS I had over heating issues in my 64 falcon. I opened up the radiator core support, installed a 24" radiator, it helped, but then when I added air conditioning, over hearting again. at that point I added a fan shroud, that helped but what really fixed it for the last time, was a 7 blade fan (mopar) I found as I was leaving pate swap meet. made it fit, zero over heating issues now setting in traffic with the air on. just a .030 over bored 302 W

With that 7-blade fan whirring away under the hood.....you prolly picked up a little on your top speed!
(think-about-it!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/21/2021 10:16 AM  #36

I don't really have over heating issues (butt-eye I also DON'T have AC neither!!)
One thing to consider is......when pulling all that heat from the radiator.....it blows super heated air across the engine.
This super heated air...along with very hot headers....along with heat normally generated from the IC of the engine..really adds up in the BTU's load. This along with a tight fitting/cramped engine compartment (underneath a fiberglass insulated hood!) during a high humid/high temp (100+) day........it really adds up!
Part of the over heating issue 'could' be... no place for the hot air to escape. Hood scoops don't REALLY help that much on a street driven Mustang. They do give a little boost when approaching top speed but how often is that?
Scoops and the old Shivel-lay cowl induction hood do offer an escape route for under hood generated-heat.
Remember back in the 60's?.........All the Super Stockers and A/MP drag cars had the back of their hood raised up about 6"!!
Not because the engine was too big to fit but.......to let the heat OUT from under the hood!
Neither of these options will work on our lil street-rod Mustangs(prolly butt.........letting the heat OUT is a big part of the answer to this over heating problem!
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (9/21/2021 10:17 AM)

9/21/2021 12:57 PM  #37

6sally6 wrote:

val fulesday wrote:

With that 7-blade fan whirring away under the hood.....you prolly picked up a little on your top speed!
(think-about-it!)
6sally6

Thank you, Mike....giggle for the day!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/21/2021 2:08 PM  #38

Toploader wrote:

Hearing about overheating issues always intrigues me. I often hear about people putting on electric fans and alloy radiators to fix this issue.
It makes me wonder if overheating was always an issue for the old Fords, Chevy, Chrysler...? I can never understand why all of a sudden there are so many stories on the internet about these things overheating.
Personally, I only ever had one time where mine overheated and that was due to the radiator needing to be properly flushed out by a shop. I've never had an issue since and I still run the 4 blade fan and copper/brass radiator.
I don't like the electric fan and alloy radiator concept myself and I try to trust the old Ford Engineers had it sorted out.
I will be adding a fan shroud soon though.

The cars haven't changed, but traffic sure has.  These cars weren't meant to be creeping along for hours at a time.  I see what's happened to the area where I live just in 25 years.  Main routes that used to have 2 traffic lights now have 6.

Another thing to consider is that power creates heat.  The cooling system was adequate for a stock engine, but when you replace that with one that makes twice as much power and don't upgrade the cooling system you're asking for trouble.  Then add AC on top of that and it gets worse. 

The reason the OEMs went away from copper/brass and mechanical fans is that aluminum and electrics save weight and allow them to run the engine hotter without fear of overheating.  Both of which improve economy and power.  To me it doesn't matter what you run, so long as it works.  Like most things a lot of cooling system horror stories involve cheap, low quality parts and bad installation. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.