FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2022 3:46 PM  #1

What was life BEFORE The Mustang??!!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/10/2022 5:38 PM  #2

Re: What was life BEFORE The Mustang??!!!

Suzanne Somers in a porthole topped baby bird looks pretty fine to me. 

5/11/2022 4:52 AM  #3

Looks like a car my Dad had when I was about 4.  Interesting that my Dad, pretty much a self professed Chevy guy, owned a '55 T-Bird and a '70 something Torino...

5/11/2022 5:37 AM  #4

Take away the blonde hair, the bombshell looks, the beach boys song, and the pretty car with it, she's just another  chick  in an old Ford.     .   

Actually surprised she didn't wind up as Princes Leah.   Then she would have graced a Falcon.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/11/2022 5:43 AM  #5

I cannot IMAGINE what music was like pre-BEATLES, either.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/11/2022 6:13 AM  #6

Die hard ford guy but to me ford dropped the ball with the two door bird.  The vet was a much better looking car.

5/11/2022 2:48 PM  #7

MS wrote:

I cannot IMAGINE what music was like pre-BEATLES, either.

Big Band still I think.  Swing Music as well.  Or you could go to the other side of town and listen to Blues or Jazz, though you'd have stood out in the crowd I think

5/12/2022 4:31 PM  #8

Have no idea can only imagine 😔 😢  I was born in march 1990. At my High School there weren't many car guys either.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/12/2022 4:31 PM)

5/12/2022 7:49 PM  #9

True74yamaha wrote:

Have no idea can only imagine 😔 😢  I was born in march 1990. At my High School there weren't many car guys either.

1990? Hell I've got shoes older than you. True story.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/13/2022 4:43 AM  #10

Bearing Bob wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

Have no idea can only imagine 😔 😢 I was born in march 1990. At my High School there weren't many car guys either.

Guess I'm no longer the young guy here...

Not sure about shoes, but definitely some shirts I think. 

5/13/2022 5:30 AM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

Have no idea can only imagine 😔 😢 I was born in march 1990. At my High School there weren't many car guys either.

One of my daughters were born in 1990. First car I got her had a stick in it. She came home one day and told me, "most of the guy in school don't know how to drive a stick.

Last edited by wsinsle (5/13/2022 5:31 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/13/2022 6:50 AM  #12

My daughter had the same comment, Walt.  And she was born in '76. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/13/2022 7:19 AM  #13

Its funny, I've had this discussion with my son who's now 10.  He's like "I don't think I want a car where I have to shift the gears."  I said "3 of our 4 tagged vehicles are stick, so you're going to learn how to drive a manual no matter what, and I also thought I wanted an automatic until I really learned to drive." 

5/13/2022 7:41 AM  #14

Both our daughter learned and tested on 79 mustang hatchback stick car. The oldest special ordered her BMW with stick when she was in Germany and still drives it today. The youngest would today yet, but there not many stick cars to found on the lots that are affordable.

5/13/2022 7:56 AM  #15

I taught all three of my girls to drive in five speed Mustangs. My technique was to make them keep their right foot back by the seat.  When they could master getting the car moving at idle and shift to second gear with the car rolling along, then downshift and repeat the cycle from a dead stop, only then were they allowed to use the gas pedal.  Worked great!

5/13/2022 9:41 AM  #16

I taught both my young'un to drive a 5 speed (77 Toyota Corolla!) and one of my nieces. They all still get a big grin on their face when they see a stick shift car.....
I learned to drive an old 3-on-the-tree 53 Ford station wagon in some of the hilliest parts of SC !

The hill in front of our house was soooooo steep (how steep was it Uncle Sal!?) it was almost impossible to ride up it on a bicycle. (remember those?)
My Dad made me stop on the hill and kill the ignition and then start up again without rolling back.
  Lotsa hot clutch and high reving before I managed to do it! (and yelling!!!)
Sure came in handy on many occasion.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/13/2022 10:22 AM  #17

Begs the question:

Who has automatic?  Who has manual?  In their classic car.

5/13/2022 10:25 AM  #18

Manual in the 69.

Ya, good memories of teaching my daughter on a 96 Mustang, my two boys on a Dodge pickup, and my brother's boy on his 69 Mach 1 SCJ. My oldest brother taught me in a 64 Olds F85 when I was 15 unbeknownst to my dad.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (5/13/2022 10:26 AM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/13/2022 11:48 AM  #19

Mt dad "taught" me by leaving me on a hill at the house with a '90sish Ford ranger that was stick and telling me to drive home when I was like 13 or 14. 

'67 started as a C4 car, converted it to a T5 some years back.  In the current stable:

Stick:
'07 FJ Cruiser, '02 WRX, '89 GT, '86 IROC (converted from a 700R4 to T56), '76 CJ5, '67 Bronco (converted to floor shift from 3 on the tree)

Auto:
'06 F250, '87 K5 Blazer, '18 Model TT (that's 1918)

My John Deere tractor is hydrostatic drive, so kind of an automatic though there are no actual gears or clutches.

Last edited by TKOPerformance (5/14/2022 6:29 AM)

5/13/2022 11:58 AM  #20

Auto in my 1966 Ranchero. Bad back, once operated left knee won't tolerate clutch work. 

Last edited by pbrownrk (5/14/2022 9:18 AM)

5/13/2022 3:25 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Who has manual?  In their classic car.

Prime example of an oxymoron!
6sally6

5/14/2022 1:05 AM  #22

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

How old are you TKO if you dont mind me asking?

5/14/2022 5:37 AM  #23

67 coupe T5  5 speed
1954 Farmall 300       5 speed

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

5/14/2022 6:28 AM  #24

True74yamaha wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

How old are you TKO if you dont mind me asking?

44 until December. 

5/14/2022 9:20 AM  #25

Lots of kids here.😁

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.