FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2013 9:00 AM  #1

Fuel Line and Tank

I'm installing the fuel line and new tank on my 66 coupe, 289. I'm using a 1 piece 5/16 line. Right now I have it running up the tunnel, it bends down about where the rear of the transmission is, follows the outside of the frame rail and into the engine compartment in front of the shock tower. I'm at the rear of the tunnel now, and I was going to straight back where it curves up above the rear axe back to the tank. I haven't seen any pic that show it that way. My question is there a reason I should not go this direction. If so what is a better way. Any comments or pics would be helpfull.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/22/2013 9:13 AM  #2

Re: Fuel Line and Tank

A picture from you might help as well.  In this area I suspect you have to be concerned with axle movement and proximity to exhaust.  Is there a reason you don't want to use the stock location?

4/22/2013 9:49 AM  #3

The fuel line should go over to the driver side frame rail staying clear of mufflers.  It stays along the rail and then goes over towards the tank sender.  Uses about 2" of rubber tubing for the final connection.  Be sure to make a small bubble flare on the end of the tubing so it won't cut the hose.

If I can find some batteries for my camera, I can take some pics since my car is on the lift.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/22/2013 10:07 AM  #4

GPatrick wrote:

A picture from you might help as well.  In this area I suspect you have to be concerned with axle movement and proximity to exhaust.  Is there a reason you don't want to use the stock location?

I just didn't know the stock location couldn't find any good pics. Pretty must bought the car striped and in a box. When I get back at it I'll try and route it as Steve suggested

4/22/2013 11:46 AM  #5

I've got a couple of pics as I've been redoing all my brake lines, don't have a good one of the tank area though. This was orginally a single exhaust C-code.

At the back of the tunnel:

Cuts over to the left heading for driver's side frame rail:

Last edited by McStang (4/23/2013 10:19 AM)

(Pinto!)

4/23/2013 10:18 AM  #6

Snapped a couple more around the driver's side framerail and tank.

(Pinto!)

4/23/2013 11:41 AM  #7

Go with 3/8 line as many aftermarket fuel pumps and fuel senders are 3/8 inch.
IMHO
Howard

4/23/2013 12:42 PM  #8

Thanks for all responces guys I think I have a handle on it. Thanks McStang for taking the time for the extra pics I think that may also save a brake line post because that will be next. Hmartin I was going to purchase 3/8 inch line until the guy at the parts store pointed out the short piece I had with me going to the carb was 5/16. I'm kinda glad I went with the 5/16, it will work fine with my mild build 289 and was easier to word with the long 1 piece under the car. Thanks again.

4/23/2013 8:35 PM  #9

Don't forget to use Green Stripe Ethanol safe fuel line. Ethanol fuel eats up hardens and degrades regular fuel line.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/24/2013 9:43 PM  #10

I heard people are running the fuel line from 1969 mustang. I guess it will clear the subframe connectors and exhaust.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.