FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2021 2:31 PM  #1

Driving other members Mustang

While at the Bash, Lt Dan and I were talking and he wanted to drive my 67. No problem, let's go. So we did. My seats sit pretty low and Dan could have used a "Booster Seat", but he managed just fine. After Dan's loop around Rockwall we then took his for a spin with me in the drivers seat. Not long after we returned from driving each others car I talked Bolted to Floor into letting me drive his 67. 
So I was able to drive 3 classic mustangs at the bash; Mine, Lt. Dan's and John Dixon's 67. Dan's sports a FI 5.0, 5 speed and cable clutch. I don't remember what he has for brakes. John's sports a ??? CI FE, 5 speed, hydraulic clutch and some fancy big brakes. Mine sports a 292, 5 speed, Z-bar clutch and factory power disc brakes with drums in the rear. 
Clutch feel was similar amongst the cars. Brakes all worked the same (at the speeds we were driving). Throttle was the same whether FI or Carbureted. The big difference was Dixon's FE had some real nice stump pulling torque. 
Basically they all drove very similar to my 67 and since mine is the only classic mustang I have had the chance to drive it was nice to know that my 67 drives just like it is supposed to.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/22/2021 3:45 PM  #2

Re: Driving other members Mustang

Thanks again Gary, your car drives and looks great.

Makes me think about carbs again and I’m not talking donuts either.

It was nice to see the differences between our cars.
Especially between the clutch, brakes, exhaust system, seats, and interior noise.

I was really interested in your stock clutch setup with the bearings.
Operation was smooth yet firm and positive engagement.

Brakes were similar at the speeds we were going…aka traffic.
Maybe next time we can do some high speed stops for comparison.😁
I have stock 2016 GT brakes front and rear.

I have the Mustang Steve roller bearing clutch pedal, brake booster, with 2001 Mustang v6 master cylinder.
BTW, it worked really well with my Granada brakes and stock drums when I had the 289/C4 combination.

Maybe next year we could test drive a 427W fastback.🤞🏼🤞🏼

Last edited by Nos681 (6/22/2021 9:26 PM)

6/22/2021 5:35 PM  #3

Ask Mr Tim why that is probably not going to happen.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/22/2021 8:43 PM  #4

Nothing fancy about the brakes on mine. 08-15 GT brakes front and back with the MS brackets. Since it was a convert from manual brakes, it got a brake booster and pedal from MS as well.

I don’t like panic stops. I tried it one day when it wasn’t an emergency situation. It wanted to swap ends!!

Steve Buzek’s is the only other car I’ve rode in. His has the Mustang 2 front end. It didn’t have the squeaks that mine does! I’ve been curious about others and if I expect too much of mine

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (6/22/2021 8:51 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/22/2021 10:24 PM  #5

So when did all this swapping take place? I'd have played along.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/23/2021 9:55 AM  #6

Bearing Bob wrote:

So when did all this swapping take place?.......

I'd have played along.

NOW........you tell me!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/23/2021 12:35 PM  #7

Pretty sure yer legs ain't long enough to reach the pedals Sal. No adjustment on my seat.

6/23/2021 1:18 PM  #8

MS wrote:

So.....there must be a story behind this comment? Inquiring minds want to know....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

6/23/2021 3:34 PM  #9

Y’all can drive mine any time, no need to talk to Tim bout it!😜

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/23/2021 4:56 PM  #10

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

So.....there must be a story behind this comment? Inquiring minds want to know....

Yes, inquiring minds do want to know.

6/23/2021 5:42 PM  #11

Bearing Bob wrote:

So when did all this swapping take place? I'd have played along.

As I recall we did this right before lunch. We would have let you play.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/23/2021 8:15 PM  #12

After lunch Gary.
I would have needed a booster seat and stilts to reach Bob’s gas pedal and clutch.🤣

6/23/2021 9:10 PM  #13

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Yes, inquiring minds do want to know.

I'm putting together Mr. Tim, JKB's car, and comments about a F100 at the next t bash.?????? Hmmmmm
But so far I know nothing.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/25/2021 9:55 AM  #14

The way I see it, if you want to drive a mustang, drive the one you own.

If I wreck or damage mine, so be it. If I wreck or damage yours, I'll likely have also damaged or wrecked our friendship....

6/25/2021 1:54 PM  #15

I spose hammering a 427 car after only driving 200 6 might be a recipe for disaster.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/25/2021 3:07 PM  #16

All good points guys.

I asked because I was interested in differences in steering, suspension, engine, transmission, and general layout of a different model.

Also interested in what combinations of engine, driveline, and suspension work well together in real life and not just on paper.

30 years ago I sat in a 69 Grande and just didn’t get a good vibe due to my height. Could I have changed things yeah, but that was beyond my knowledge of how to modify stuff.

Could I do it now, more than likely.

I can only speak for myself, but I treat other peoples’ property with respect.

I have no desire or intentions of damaging someone’s hard work, time, and money.

That’s for the social media idiots out there breaking stuff on nice vehicles just to get ratings, subscriptions, and popularity.

I guess I have older values like my dad.
My dad was born 1920 and as my little brother said…”he skipped a generation.”  Dad was as old as most of our friends’ grandparents.

Who could predict a wheel bearing seizing up or something like that while on a test drive.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.