FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2021 2:43 AM  #1

back to basic or not . riddle /shine a light

Hello guys , attempt to understand sniper efi comes out someting riddle , i'm lost ....please shine a light ! 
Efi system needs clear 12v input from coil , 
Ford has " pink wire " that drop 12v to 7v , not good as input signal to efi .
Efi system support magnetic pick up from MSD  ,, but seems pertronix 1 ( same thing) burn efi ecu .
without add new distributor and ignition  what can i do ? Return to pointer and condenser ? 

Is possible to upgrade points to full 12 volts instead run the pink wire ? 
Do not look to add hei distributor , msd injection or timing control . just the easy plug and play . 
thanks ! 

6/24/2021 6:22 AM  #2

Re: back to basic or not . riddle /shine a light

Maybe change to the older Ford Duraspark ignition system.  They are apparently fairly inexpensive and abundant, though finding one in Italy may be a problem.  Maybe you could find a distributor and module on ebay.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/24/2021 10:12 AM  #3

Alessandro wrote:

Hello guys , attempt to understand sniper efi comes out someting riddle , i'm lost ....please shine a light ! 
Efi system needs clear 12v input from coil , 
Ford has " pink wire " that drop 12v to 7v , not good as input signal to efi .
Efi system support magnetic pick up from MSD  ,, but seems pertronix 1 ( same thing) burn efi ecu .
without add new distributor and ignition  what can i do ? Return to pointer and condenser ? 

Is possible to upgrade points to full 12 volts instead run the pink wire ? 
Do not look to add hei distributor , msd injection or timing control . just the easy plug and play . 
thanks ! 

You need to run a wire from the ignition switch to thee distributor.  The pink part of the pink wire doesn't begin for a couple of inches coming out of the switch, so you can tap into it right where it exits from the switch.  Run it to the distributor instead of the pink wire. keep the pink wire going to the coil.

(actually, the best approach is to get a 12 volt coil and completely replace the pink wire)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

6/25/2021 10:13 AM  #4

I put a Pertronix module in my 66/289 over ten years ago and never had a problem. I used a stock distributor, Pertronix wires and Pertronix Blaster coil.  I replaced the pink resister wire to the coil with non resistive wire ( plane old piece of wire). No EFI. Edelbrock carb and manifold.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

6/25/2021 12:04 PM  #5

You're going to have many questions and potential issues with that efi system.
If you haven't done so already, best initial advice is go to the sniper efi form and do a lot of reading  and searching first. I say to do that first because if you ask a question that's been addressed multiple times already, there are a couple of really crusty dudes that will reply unkindly. They aren't as friendly as FYIFORD!

Most problems are due to not following the initial set up process so, again, read and research this carefully.

I considered purchasing that efi system but, it seemed more problematic then I was willing to deal with.

Of course, your results may vary.

Good luck...

6/25/2021 1:35 PM  #6

josh-kebob wrote:

You're going to have many questions and potential issues with that efi system.
If you haven't done so already, best initial advice is go to the sniper efi form and do a lot of reading and searching first. I say to do that first because if you ask a question that's been addressed multiple times already, there are a couple of really crusty dudes that will reply unkindly. They aren't as friendly as FYIFORD!

Most problems are due to not following the initial set up process so, again, read and research this carefully.

I considered purchasing that efi system but, it seemed more problematic then I was willing to deal with.

Of course, your results may vary.

Good luck...

First , thanks for all help ... really appreciate ., yes , you are right , have spend days and night looking for info on holly forum and e mail also . i 'm sorry to ask again same questions , but i can't know it before .   Second : holley gives many application , but with old ford , is more complicated if want use oem distributor . When i bought sniper efi thought was "plug and play " with nothing to add , and is not . Was basic knowing it before ... There are many add to choose , and this create a cascade of question and doubts for and which , what is necessary or not . Sniper efi instruction don't even shows a ford application with oem distributor . So that my doubts . Need a new distributor ? Which one ? Holley hyperspark ? is enough or need also coil driver and ignition module ? Same question for holley dual sync distributor and msd /mallory / etc . This variable "add on " provide from 100 to 500 usd budget + 30% tax . Just the half of sniper basic kit . So instead of 1000 i need to spend other money to let it work . This really upset me .
i want run sniper efi without add other stuff but seems impossible on ford . The odd thing is that : if you already have pertronix pointerless inside your distributor this  don't work with efi system and need to go with basic point and condenser. that' s funny and tragic . Old ford pink wire ballast resistor has great influence in all this story. ..    money money money...  they don't grow on my garden trees ... 

6/25/2021 5:12 PM  #7

I can't imagine the Sniper will not work with a stock distributor and Pertronix.  My FiTech FI has no problem that way.  But others should chime in here.  I do not know.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

6/26/2021 2:53 AM  #8

lowercasesteve wrote:

I can't imagine the Sniper will not work with a stock distributor and Pertronix.  My FiTech FI has no problem that way.  But others should chime in here.  I do not know.

For what i can understand the magnetic pick up comes in different ways  " sine wave " and square signal . this is the main difference from pertronix , that is sine wave . This input is low at idle and seems  not welcome to sniper efi
Holley knows perfectly this issue regards RFI and ecu  . That's why they prefer "hall effect trigger " because this eliminate a variety of issue that regards pertronix and set up
The issue of burning ecu seems related to yellow wire to coil -   handheld set up need to be corrected with this related specs. . 
what i found helpful was one guy that set the handheld with " coil " instead of "magnetic " . He sayd that works ! . 

Again holley do not have any interest to magnetic , they prefer sell hyperspark and other stuff .. 

There is Huge documentation regards sniper efi , needs time and know how !   

I think Holley should be more clear about  trigger choice ( this is the main thing) . 
Many years passing by so i am waiting a brief that told newbie : do this  and   don't do that . 
When choice are multiple ( distributor and ignition )  holley should be more clear and write " sniper efi for dummies".
thks 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.