FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2021 7:21 AM  #1

6sal6 slow day topic - Is traction control the AutoTune for drivers?

For any that may not have heard yet, there is a piece of equipment that can put any singer in perfect tune called Auto-Tune.  So singers don't have to worry about drifting off key.  Auto-Tune on Wikipedia (As a side note, this technology was developed as part of earthquake research)

So do you think that electronic traction control to keep a cars wheels stuck to the road is sort of like an Auto-Tune for drivers?  A really good singer is a singer that stays on key without electronic help.  Likewise, don't you think a really good driver can keep the car under control without electronic help?

Last edited by Rufus68 (8/10/2021 7:22 AM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/10/2021 8:08 AM  #2

Re: 6sal6 slow day topic - Is traction control the AutoTune for drivers?

No amount of electronic assistance would help my singing.
As it seems to me that drivers are worse now then when I was growing up, so electric traction control would certainly help these drivers.  But it would help most drivers, as most drivers are not experienced enough with their vehicle to identify when things are going wrong and then correct for it.
Interesting, I remember reading when BMW was trying out their auto-lock brake sytem on taxi cabs in Germany.  They found that these cars were involved in more accidents.  Why? ... drivers were taking more risks then they normally would!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/10/2021 10:17 AM  #3

I'm not saying that a lot, if not most, of the current street drivers need electronic assistance to keep their cars under control.  Actually, I sadly think this is the case.  I'm just saying that traction control in cars will make a lot of drivers think they are better skilled than they actually are.  I'm sure these drivers will be surprised at the difficulty of driving unassisted cars if and when they ever drive one of these.  Probably they would blame the cars for the loss of control instead of even realizing that they only survive in the traction control cars because of the traction control.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/10/2021 10:57 AM  #4

I have not sang publicly since grade seven when I performed at a high school talent night, LOL😂 Micheal Buble your job is safe.
As for driving I recently got a new DD because it had all of the latest driving aids.
5 years ago I would not have said this but like it or not, the fact is that sadly,  driving skill and ability does diminish with age.😞

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/10/2021 11:05 AM  #5

At least you had those skills to diminish.  Do you think the drivers growing up with traction and braking control will ever develop those skills in the first place?  Probably not unless they have an older car to drive in. 

8/10/2021 11:19 AM  #6

I think there's some nuances to this dicussion.

There's factory traction control which is a safety feature and then there's the performance application of traction control. They are different and in the latter case a method to see some of the very fast times being put down in a lot of drag racing classes. Racers using technology is nothing new, yeah maybe it's all chips and transistors now instead of swiss-cheesing a chassis or moving weight forward, but at the heart it's all technology and engineering.

Or maybe I am full of it and embrace technology too much! Seems to me when you have 800+ horsepower on street legal tires and are either trying to get down the track or 'ehem aggressively accelerate down a freeway on-ramp I'll take the help!

Edit: I am literally wiring up my Lightning to make use of the Megasquirt's traction control offering

Last edited by Raymond_B (8/10/2021 11:20 AM)

8/10/2021 1:23 PM  #7

Anything that would have helped to not get visitors like this at my house is welcome:

8/10/2021 1:40 PM  #8

They crash into your yard from both directions.  Why is that?

8/10/2021 2:05 PM  #9

Hakan wrote:

Anything that would have helped to not get visitors like this at my house is welcome:

THEY DONT SEEM TO BOTHER YOUR CAT......LOL

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/10/2021 2:56 PM  #10

Rufus68 wrote:

I actually have no idea, but even the local newspaper made sort of fun out of it. A locally very well known Swedish coffee company uses the phrase "when you get unexpected visitors" which was used as the caption under the pictures they published.

8/10/2021 3:16 PM  #11

Hakan wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

I actually have no idea, but even the local newspaper made sort of fun out of it. A locally very well known Swedish coffee company uses the phrase "when you get unexpected visitors" which was used as the caption under the pictures they published.

.lOL, residuals?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/10/2021 5:08 PM  #12

Hakan wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

Hmmm, what can distract drivers when no other reason is apparent....  you don't have a female that could possibly be distracting them do you? 

8/10/2021 5:12 PM  #13

Rufus68 wrote:

Hakan wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

Hmmm, what can distract drivers when no other reason is apparent....  you don't have a female that could possibly be distracting them do you? 

A cell phone would...

8/11/2021 5:27 AM  #14

I've missed singing in choir these past 18 months.  A real singer sounds great no matter where they are and without any electronic crap.  My metric was always something like Saturday Night Live.  If they sounded good on SNL I knew they had talent because the acoustics there are terrible and its live so they can't use electronic help, unless they lip synch and that has proved disastrous for several acts over the years. 

Are drivers today worse, or are there just so many more cars on the road that the incidents of wrecks has increased due to volume?  Definitely they are distracted to a degree never seen before.

In general though the OEMs definitely keep making cars safer so people can continue to be idiots.  BUT, most people have no idea what to do in a dangerous situation because they've never trained for it.  We teach people to drive assuming all is well, and spend almost no time on what to do if its not.  The extent of avoidance training is typically the instruction saying "remember, if you start to slide steer into the skid".  You learn to fly they spend most of the time teaching you how to recover from bad situations.  We would have much better drivers if we adopted a similar approach. 

8/11/2021 6:46 AM  #15

With the increased usage of dash cams, we have lots of material to show new and existing drivers.  Watching these make me cringe.  Speed is often a factor.  Over reactions by scared drivers is also a common cause of accidents.  Anyway, this huge pool of real world current accidents caught on camera really shows how dangerous driving can be even in perfect conditions\

Here's one video:

8/11/2021 8:40 AM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

BUT, most people have no idea what to do in a dangerous situation  The extent of avoidance training is typically the instruction saying "remember, if you start to slide steer into the skid". 

Bill Cosby had a funny bit on steering into the skid. "What, that's like leaning into a punch. For you youngsters, Cosby used to be a stand up comic, before he was a felon.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/11/2021 4:02 PM  #17

Bearing Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

BUT, most people have no idea what to do in a dangerous situation The extent of avoidance training is typically the instruction saying "remember, if you start to slide steer into the skid". 

Bill Cosby had a funny bit on steering into the skid. "What, that's like leaning into a punch. For you youngsters, Cosby used to be a stand up comic, before he was a felon.

I was heartbroken when all that stuff about him came out.  I must have watched his standup routine Fatherhood 200 times.  He was definitely funny, just apparently also a piece of #$%^.

8/14/2021 9:53 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

BUT, most people have no idea what to do in a dangerous situation The extent of avoidance training is typically the instruction saying "remember, if you start to slide steer into the skid". 

I was heartbroken when all that stuff about him came out.  I must have watched his standup routine Fatherhood 200 times.  He was definitely funny, just apparently also a piece of #$%^.

He's out now!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/15/2021 7:36 AM  #19

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

He's out now!!
6s6

Yeah, never count on justice for a celebrity from the American justice system.  I agree with the reasoning behind why they had to release him, but its unfortunate he's not going to get his just deserts in this life.  I suppose that's why there's always the next life...

9/02/2021 6:33 PM  #20

Just my two cents

My BMW 430i X-drive has all wheel drive and traction control.  It really comes in handy on rainy days when I need to accelerate and turn onto the highway coming out of my subdivision.  I just punch it and the car goes.  Way better than any of my other rear wheel drive cars.  Are my skills diminished?  You bet, but just plain old.  acceleration works better with all the electronics working.

427 powered 66 fastback on any dry road.  Let ‘em burn as much as possible!!!  The latest technology on that car is the Eaton Tru-Trac that definitely launches straighter than the old traction lock ever dreamed of.  I will take that technological breakthrough any day!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/03/2021 5:28 AM  #21

I'm confused why you would need AWD and traction control.  AWD is traction control.  My WRX doesn't have traction control, but it has AWD.  Rain, snow, etc. there is zero issue controlling the vehicle.  Plenty of grip so long as tires with good wet weather performance are used (i.e. NOT the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s).  In the dry you would have to try really hard to break the tires loose, and then it wold be the front left only.  A well designed AWD system doesn't need electronic trickery.  Subaru, Nissan, Audi, Porsche, and others have designed totally mechanical AWD systems that work exceedingly well.  The question then becomes does AWD make you a less skilled driver?  Are rally drivers less skilled?  Me thinks not. 

9/03/2021 6:55 AM  #22

I posed the question, for fun, not to bring any insult to the use of electronic driver aides on the public roads, but because of the parallel I could see with these electronic devices and the electronic corrections Autotune provides to singers.  Actually, if I'm out driving on the roads I appreciate that I might be saved from the other drivers by them having electronic aides.  But also, if I'm going to be listening to anyone sing, I'd rather have them singing on key with the help of Autotune if they can't stay on key naturally.  It's just a parallel. 

9/03/2021 2:20 PM  #23

Oh, I think we all get it.  There sometimes needs to be a sarcasm font or something, because it doesn't always come through in typing. 

The electronic nannies are here to stay, and anything that keeps another vehicle from hitting mine is welcome for that other driver.  I think we all also realize that the attempt to idiot proof something typically underestimates the idiot, and lament that instead of training safer drivers OEMs try to make the cars do the work for them. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.