FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2021 7:54 AM  #1

Work light

Looking for first hand recommendations for a rechargeable,  LED work light. Prefer one of average size and that holds a long charge.

Currently using a compact style that's just ok but the battery life seems short.

Previously had one from NAPA that was rather good...so good, it must have grown legs cause it's gone.

Thought I'd ask here first before I spend any of my meager pension funds on a replacement!!

Thanks

8/11/2021 8:21 AM  #2

Re: Work light

I've bought this rechargeable streamlight work light and have been very pleased with it.
It's a little small compared to most work lights, but it's very bright.
It's a little pricey, but I've been very satisfied with streamlight products in the past.  They have a lifetime warranty, which I have used more than once on some of my other streamlights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084SWJJCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8/11/2021 8:24 AM  #3

This Cat light is daddy oh, and one I highly recommend. The only negative is it's bright as hell if you happen to shine it towards your eyes.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (8/11/2021 8:32 AM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/11/2021 8:43 AM  #4

This might be too big for what you're wanting, but I love it.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/Specialty-Lights/2125-20

8/11/2021 8:53 AM  #5

The last 5 years I've been buying Dewalt 20V tools.  I bough a Dewalt LED light that works pretty well and I have like 10 20v batteries.  It actually works about 7 hours of with a battery charge.  I have a really nice LED like BB has but the battery only keeps a charge an hour tops.  Then I have to plug it in to charge it up.

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (8/12/2021 8:56 AM)

8/11/2021 9:02 AM  #6

That brings up a good question.  What brand of cordless tools are you using?  I'm sure you have several batteries for these.  Perhaps that brand offers an LED work light to work with those batteries.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/11/2021 9:14 AM  #7

Rufus68 wrote:

That brings up a good question.  What brand of cordless tools are you using?  I'm sure you have several batteries for these.  Perhaps that brand offers an LED work light to work with those batteries.

Yeah that's an important point, if you're invested in a particular brand of batteries, chargers, and tools that will most likely dictate your decision.

8/11/2021 1:41 PM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

This Cat light is daddy oh, and one I highly recommend. The only negative is it's bright as hell if you happen to shine it towards your eyes.

That's what I have.  Lasts 6-7 hours and is very bright.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/11/2021 1:45 PM  #9

Bearing Bob wrote:

I've never had to charge this more than once thru the night for a full day's use. My buddy bought this at Costco, and I've seen a cheaper looking version around.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/11/2021 1:50 PM  #10

Rufus68 wrote:

After years of buying Craftsman stuff I have converted to Bosch cordless. Now looking at adapting  the Bosch batteries to my Craftsman tools.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/11/2021 2:42 PM  #11

The CAT lights are pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.  I have seen other brandings of the exact same light.  I have 3 of them.  Small but bright, have good battery life.  I have had one go for a swim in ATF.   All of a sudden the light under the car turned red.  

IMHO most of the cordless tool lights are bulky and expensive.

8/11/2021 5:10 PM  #12

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/Task-Lighting/2354-20

This is the flashlight that I use at work.
Has 3 modes of operation.
Spot (1 LED), Flood (4 LED), and Full ( spot and flood on at same time)
Between the battery base, flat bottom, and swivel head makes it quite versatile.

Kinda big for small tight quarters,  light weight, and batteries are great. Durable too..kicked off transformer a few times by accident..

It can be used  with any of the Milwaukee 18 volt lithium batteries.

Flood is my favorite, really lights up an area.
Reflecting off walls or ceilings works well too.

For the late night/early morning power outages, we have a couple of the stand lights….put out a lot of light but get the largest battery pack if you expect long usage on stand lights.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/Task-Lighting

Last edited by Nos681 (8/11/2021 5:13 PM)

8/11/2021 5:58 PM  #13

Thanks for all the replies.

For our 38th anniversary, MrsJKB gifted me with a new Ridgid 18v cordless tool set.

Today I did a little searching and decided to purchase one of their lights. This one has a long,flexible neck so, it can be made to fit in tight spaces if necessary. Plus, having 3 batteries in my kit means no chance of going lights out while working on the stang.

I'll try it out tomorrow....too darn hot to be turning wrenches today...

8/11/2021 10:35 PM  #14

Bearing Bob wrote:

I second the vote for this light. Also got it at Costco a couple of years back. Great light, charge lasts a long time, had a very handy retractable leg for standing it up or hanging it up, and even has a USB port to charge a cell phone, etc

Last edited by Ron68 (8/11/2021 10:36 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/12/2021 9:01 AM  #15

Ron68 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

I second the vote for this light. Also got it at Costco a couple of years back. Great light, charge lasts a long time, had a very handy retractable leg for standing it up or hanging it up, and even has a USB port to charge a cell phone, etc

I got a Costco membership a few years back.  Ill have to look for this light next time I go in there.  You never can have enough Light when working under a car. 

8/12/2021 9:04 AM  #16

Bearing Bob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

I've never had to charge this more than once thru the night for a full day's use. My buddy bought this at Costco, and I've seen a cheaper looking version around.

Mine is a cheaper version for for sure that I bought a Menards.  Im going to check out Costco next time Im there for this one.  I like lots of lights when Im doing a project. 

8/12/2021 9:07 AM  #17

I'm old school with just a touch of new.  Meaning inside my shop I use an old fashioned trouble light.  The touch of new is that I have a 100w equivalent LED bulb in it so the metal reflector and cage doesn't heat up and burn my arm if and when I roll over against it.  Nothing used to make jerk that arm back quicker than pressing my triceps against that burning hot trouble light.  Ouch.

Now when I'm not in my shop, a battery light for sure.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/12/2021 11:59 AM  #18

Steve69 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Mine is a cheaper version for for sure that I bought a Menards.  Im going to check out Costco next time Im there for this one.  I like lots of lights when Im doing a project. 

You might also try home depot.  They carry CAT tools.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/12/2021 12:32 PM  #19

These are cheap and never runs out of power:

8/12/2021 1:01 PM  #20

Are you saying the wax doesn't burn up?? 

8/12/2021 2:36 PM  #21

Rufus68 wrote:

I'm old school with just a touch of new.  Meaning inside my shop I use an old fashioned trouble light.  The touch of new is that I have a 100w equivalent LED bulb in it so the metal reflector and cage doesn't heat up and burn my arm if and when I roll over against it.  Nothing used to make jerk that arm back quicker than pressing my triceps against that burning hot trouble light.  Ouch.

Now when I'm not in my shop, a battery light for sure.

yes I too have a corded trouble light with LED lamp on a 50 reel right next to the lift. Then I have 2 of these little battery lights with EBL AA rechargeable. I can get most all of my work done with one of these guys and then charge it up that night.
Light    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895NG6JW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DRZEHG5TEPSFVWN9P98K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
battery/charger  : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842LLCMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NPJ3ZNSQXNGWSW4XZ8VK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/12/2021 2:37 PM  #22

Hakan wrote:

Not true I had one burn down to the end and wouldnt re light    lol

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/14/2021 9:41 PM  #23

Cab4word67 wrote:

Hakan wrote:

Not true I had one burn down 

Do candles "burn up"??....or burn down??? ...
Wax runs down but candles burn UP??...
Wouldn't the wax run up IF the candle burned down??
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/15/2021 1:00 PM  #24

I kinda wish I hadn't started this post...

8/15/2021 2:10 PM  #25

josh-kebob wrote:

I kinda wish I hadn't started this post...

6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.