FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2021 1:49 PM  #1

Welders

Just looking for some opinions based on real life experience.

I was all set to buy a new Miller 211 mig welder, roughly $1600, but a buddy got me connected with the Miller Rep for this area and he can get me a Miller 200 mig/tig/stick demo unit for $1500.

The Miller 200 runs about $2600 new, it is 120/240 just as the 211.

Anyone have any experience with either of these machines or comments?

Thanks 

9/22/2021 2:17 PM  #2

Re: Welders

Don't own this particular machine butt........It's hard to go worng with a Miller.
(you know what they say........."it's Miller Time"!.         oh wait.........)
I understand some of the big box stores sell welders at a better price than the dealer butt..........the gears are plastic...many of the internal parts are not as high quality as what you get from a dealer.
Sounds like you may have hit the jackpot!!
It's good that you can do all phases of welding with this one machine.
IF.....you were doing a lot of 'heavy welding' on thick stuff then a bigger machine may be in order butt........for what we do  (anything on a Mustang)...this should be fine.
Duty cycle (the length of time you do continuous welding) is very important when doing heavy work butt-chew would be hard pressed to exceed the duty cycle welding the small stuff on automotive or general garage use.
HEY.......it's only pictures of dead presidents!!!  Get it
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/22/2021 3:16 PM  #3

Buy it. That unit is 20 amps less than the 220 multimatic that my Miller rep buddy highly recommended. Demo units are really scarce, even units in stocks are getting harder to find. Multi use welder's used to be not the one to get, but today they are the cat's meow. I tried to get a demo, or even my reps discount, but welders are pretty darn scarce these days. My rep buddy said the welding industry is at the bottom of the list for parts priorities these days, and couldn't even guess when the plasma cutter I wanted would be in if he ordered it. Even with a big discount he recommended buying one off the shelf if I found one, which I did.

So if you have a lead on a demo, I'd buy it. Or better yet, but it for me and I'll pay a finders fee.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/22/2021 3:56 PM  #4

$1600 is a plenty big budget.  How much welding and what max thickness do you plan to weld?  For most DIY welding, there are plenty of nice welders available for a 1/3 that but if you're planning on doing a lot of welding then that's different.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/22/2021 4:07 PM  #5

I agree there are lesser machines that would meet my needs, and like most of us it’s one of those things that will set unused mor than used. But with that said, I have borrowed a buddies Miller so many time over the past 15 years that I need to get my own and I want a piece of equipment that will out live me and my boys can fight over.

I was sold on the 211, until today when the deal came up on the model 200.

9/22/2021 4:50 PM  #6

Don't forget you still have to get a tank and I recommend you get the largest Argon tank you can own without having to lease.  Around here that is the 32" tall 80cf tank.  Reason being that the refill cost is nearly the same as for the smaller tanks but it last much longer.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/22/2021 5:02 PM  #7

I have the 211 and it's great. I am a novice welder and I find it very easy to use. The auto-set feature makes it almost fool proof and very easy to improve your skills.

I would also like to have a tig machine, but I don't use a welder nearly enough to justify buying a separate tig machine.  Truthfully, I don't even need something as big as the 211 for the limited amount of welding I do, but I got a great deal on the 211 and am glad I bought it.

Long story short, if you were going to buy the 211 and can get another machine that also does tig for the same or less money,  I'd buy the machine that does both.

9/22/2021 5:03 PM  #8

Buy it.

I'm going to purchase a 211. Priced it locally for around $1500 last month. Price went up slightly since then, oh well.

Already own my own tank and cart so, that's not an issue for me.

Now that fall is here, I have plenty of welding projects to finish.

9/22/2021 6:24 PM  #9

The 200 and 220 multimatic have lots of useful settings to ease your welding experience. It's a heck of a machine, and light years ahead of the 211, which is a great machine.

Rufus68 wrote:

Don't forget you still have to get a tank and I recommend you get the largest Argon tank you can own without having to lease.  Around here that is the 32" tall 80cf tank.  Reason being that the refill cost is nearly the same as for the smaller tanks but it last much longer.

I agree the bigger the tank the better. Butt... I've got two 125cf tanks, one argon and one 75/25 argon mix, which aren't big enough for my amount of welding. The cost to fill one tank at the local Airgas is $36 (same as the 150cf tank I used to have) plus tax and haz mat.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/22/2021 6:30 PM  #10

Here in TN the bigger tanks have to be leased.  The two gas suppliers just swap the empty tanks for full ones ready to go.  The two suppliers both told me I'd need to lease a 125cf tank if I needed that size.  So I have the 80cf that I own that I swap.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.