FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2021 2:03 PM  #26

Re: Mini Bash Thrash / or... How to convert 1965 6 Cylinder Mustang to V8

You're getting it done faster than Boyd Coddington and probably without all the contrived drama too...

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/17/2021 6:34 PM  #27

Day FIVE
Friday of Week 1

Disc brakes and all suspension are in and plumbed, except master cylinder. Still waiting on booster to arrive. Engine and transmission are bolted in place. Car is sitting on all four wheels.

Now the fun begins. Rewire for one wire alternator and Duraspark ignition. Finish rerouting fuel line.
Decided to go with 1970 20” radiator and shroud.  Have to order those. Need a driveshaft. I will just shorten the one from the Maverick for temporary use.  Since the car was originally a manual trans I-6, the drive shaft won’t tit the 8” rear end. We thought it was an automatic car from new and it would have fit if it was.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/17/2021 8:28 PM  #28

I think I still have the 9" booster that was on the Heap....worked fine just didn't add enough push with the low manny vac that the cam of the moment produced.  I'll ship via high speed means if you get in a bind.  Will verify that I have it tomorrow.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/17/2021 9:08 PM  #29

Is this really happening??? Where’s the pictures??

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/18/2021 6:46 AM  #30

It seems we'll all have to drive to Kansas and see for ourselves!

9/18/2021 8:36 AM  #31

Thanks for booster offer. The one we ordered is scheduled for delivery today from MustangSteve.
It seems nobody carries driveshafts any more unless you want an expensive aluminum one.
I have the Maverick steel shaft I can shorten 2”.    Maybe Summit can get us one.

9/18/2021 6:01 PM  #32

Day SIX
Saturday of Week 1

Made hoses for Borgeson power steering to GM style pump.
Installed correct bolts in bellhousing and motor mounts.
Did front end alignment. Note:  used ascott Drake 1” lowering springs and did Shelby drop.  Still has 2” between tire and fender lip after rolling the car a good distance.
Spent time at OReillys and Ace getting fittings and tubing, new starter, fluids and radiator hoses, etc.  That action just takes alot of time. Ordered from NPD a new1970
20” aluminum radiator, shroud and cap.
We are taking great care to make everything done properly and using correct type bolts, etc.   There was so much rigging done on the car from previous work it was ridiculous.

Day SEVEN
Sunday

MS rested.

9/18/2021 6:25 PM  #33

Took a look through the pile and I do still have that 9" booster...it's even on a low shelf.  Let me know if MustangSteve let's you down.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/19/2021 6:01 PM  #34

Booster arrived Saturday.  It was in my box up at the mailboxes since noon, and I thought it was coming UPS.

We took today, Sunday, off. Needed it!!!

9/19/2021 6:03 PM  #35

It seems nobody sells driveshafts any more!!!!  Looking for stocker for 65-70 with 8” rear…

9/19/2021 6:39 PM  #36

I have a drive shaft in my 66 not sure what shape it is in.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

9/19/2021 7:40 PM  #37

I've got one from my 65 but the shaft is rustier than it should be considering it was garaged since 1975. I am sure it would work fine, and I'd give it to you if you were close, but it's probably not worth the cost of shipping.

9/19/2021 8:21 PM  #38

Pull the one out of the '69.  It won't be going anywhere for a day or so.

BB1

9/19/2021 8:56 PM  #39

The 69 has a shortened shaft in it to fit the T5.  I contacted my friend Jeff who owns Valor Performance. He said he thinks he has one. I will find out Monday morning.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help.

9/20/2021 8:22 AM  #40

Wasn’t the original stock driveshaft two piece with a molded in rubber separating cushion, my 68  was and it weighed a ton. I scrapped it and had a local drive shaft shop build me a new one when I did the 331/AOD conversion.  I got new yokes, uni joints and balanced for about $180.00

Last edited by Rudi (9/20/2021 8:27 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/20/2021 1:00 PM  #41

Day EIGHT
Monday of Week 2

I got a 68 driveshaft this morning. Ordered new ujoints from OReilly to be delivered tomorrow.

9/20/2021 8:53 PM  #42

It is too bad the picture posting situation is what it is. This hread has just about every common mod happening at once and it would have been great to have pics documenting all of the work.

9/21/2021 9:19 PM  #43

Day NINE
Tuesday of Week 2

Turns out driveshaft had been hammered on by some idiot trying to replace ujoints. Included clamping the smooth part of the tranny yoke in a vise adding vise marks and making it not round.
Jose trying to find a shop to make a new shaft tomorrow.  We do have a decent tranny yoke from another shaft.

Got the power brake booster and master cylinder all hooked up and brakes are bled.
Greased the front suspension.

Picked up my 331 block, bored 0.030” and my 305 Mercruiser block, bored 0.030” and crank turned, from machine shop today. Including new bearings for the305,  it was $970.  Kind of expensive, I thought.

9/22/2021 7:27 PM  #44

That does sound high.  But Haven't had one done in a few years.

9/23/2021 8:44 AM  #45

Day TEN
Wednesday of week two

Trimmed core support 1-1/4” each side for the wider radiator.  Reformed the remaining flanges to move the rad forward about 1/4”.  This is a 2-1/2” thick aluminum radiator so it takes up alot of room. Will use a 2” 289 Hipo spacer and a stainless six blade reverse rotation flex fan for now. We bought a 70 shroud but it will need to be trimmed to fit. The plan is to split it on the horizontal centerline snd modify it so it bolts in easily allowing access to fan bolts.  Since no AC yet, it will drive to Kansas and backh no shroud.
Modified the battery tray so it clears the wider radiator. Made custom battery hold down. 
Ordered a new drive shaft from CJ Pony. It should get here Monday next week. Cutting it close now…
Thursday will install electrical for Duraspark ignition system and hook up carb linkage.  It looks like the aftermarket foot feed linkage that has the kickdown lever for the c4 tranny is clocked wrong. No way to adjust it so the cable will ever pull on the tranny lever.
Finished the custom hard lines for the fuel line and got all the fuel connections made.

9/23/2021 12:19 PM  #46

Uh ohh...waiting for a shipment from CJs to meet a tight deadline...now you are rolling the dice!

9/23/2021 7:06 PM  #47

Day ELEVEN. 
Thursday of Week 2

Today Jose removed the rear bumper and valance in prep for the GT exhaust tips.

I removed the radiator to fit the 70 fan shroud. It took four in-outs to get it fitted, including trimming thickness of the shroud and using a torch to heat and reshape the bottom of it to clear the fan.  Found out the bolt circle on a 5.0 water pump pulley flange is different than a 289. Was going to use a 289 HIPO spacer but had to get a generic 2” spacer😖 instead.  So, basically, better than half a day to install a fan shroud.  And a really nice custom battery tray mod and battery hold down.   The price of having one-off, custom items that appear to be stock.

9/23/2021 8:24 PM  #48

Chaplin wrote:

Uh ohh...waiting for a shipment from CJs to meet a tight deadline...now you are rolling the dice!

Was thinking the same, but didn't want to bring it up

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/24/2021 9:44 AM  #49

I've not ever had issues with cjpony for parts or shipping... keep da faith...

9/24/2021 10:08 AM  #50

josh-kebob wrote:

I've not ever had issues with cjpony for parts or shipping... keep da faith...

Not that it mattered but it took 9 months to get the deluxe mirrors I ordered from them.   The biggest issue with them I see is they sell items they don't have on hand and lean on customers good will to wait for backorders.   The pandemic and backlogs that has created has caused quite a stir for them. 

Their business model of sell it even if they don't have it being ethical or not is up for debate.   

I have bought a lot of things from them.   Other than waiting for the mirrors, the only.other problem I've had was the chrome plating on the horn button on the steering wheel kit i bought was horrendous and I told them was unacceptable.   They took care of it immediately and sent me a new one.  I've had good service with them, overall.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.