FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2022 7:28 AM  #1

1965/66 wiper switch

I know there are many who did a wiper delay conversion on their Mustangs.   What I was wondering was did anyone keep their old 2 speed wiper switch and harness around?

1963 Galaxie 2 speed wiper switches are made of unobtainium.  I started wondering the feasibility of meshing a Mustang harness and Galaxie harness together to be able to use a later wiper switch. 

For all the things Ford did to keep some parts universal, wiper switches were not one of them.  Seems like ever model had a different plug at the switch.

So anyone got one laying around they ain't ever going to use?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/15/2022 8:05 AM  #2

Re: 1965/66 wiper switch

Greg, I'll look when I get home Sunday

7/15/2022 8:51 AM  #3

Possibly....I'll take a look in the "left overs box" up in the shop attic later today.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/15/2022 8:58 AM  #4

I pretty sure I have a 66 2 speed wiper switch laying around if that is what you are asking for. The 66 is wired vary odd. Most 2 speed wipers rotate 360 deg and when turned off continue rotating until they reach the start point the shut off. This is park. On the 66 when you turn them off they rotate backwards until they hit park.  Not sure how the 63 Galaxie works.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/15/2022 9:36 AM  #5

Sorry Greg, just went out and rooted through all the left-overs and can't find the stock wiper motor/harness/switch.....Hmmm, don't know what I coulda done with that. 

Edit:  Ya know, I gave or sold very cheaply, a large box of stuff to Gaba back after I finished the "major" on the Heap and was purging.  If Walt, Josh or someone else doesn't have what you need you might want to shoot Gaba a Pm.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/15/2022 9:40 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/15/2022 10:34 AM  #6

wsinsle wrote:

I pretty sure I have a 66 2 speed wiper switch laying around if that is what you are asking for. The 66 is wired vary odd. Most 2 speed wipers rotate 360 deg and when turned off continue rotating until they reach the start point the shut off. This is park. On the 66 when you turn them off they rotate backwards until they hit park.  Not sure how the 63 Galaxie works.

Now that you mention that,  I bet I probably need an early 65 set up.  The 63 motor has the cover plate with the switch in it.

I need to research this more.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/15/2022 10:58 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Sorry Greg, just went out and rooted through all the left-overs and can't find the stock wiper motor/harness/switch.....Hmmm, don't know what I coulda done with that. 

Edit:  Ya know, I gave or sold very cheaply, a large box of stuff to Gaba back after I finished the "major" on the Heap and was purging.  If Walt, Josh or someone else doesn't have what you need you might want to shoot Gaba a Pm.

BB1

BB1, I was sitting hear thinking. If you use your full name, you could be Bullet Robert 1 (BR1)
If Bearing Robert joins in, BR2, they might just think you are both crazy.
But if a third joins, BR3, they might think it's an organization.
If we get 50 BR's to join in, they will call it a movement.
After that, we may get a BR549!
You can get anything you want at Mustang Steve's web site;
I do have a 66 wiper harness, PM me with address if you want me to send it.

7/15/2022 12:31 PM  #8

wsinsle wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB1

BB1, I was sitting hear thinking. If you use your full name, you could be Bullet Robert 1 (BR1)
If Bearing Robert joins in, BR2, they might just think you are both crazy.
But if a third joins, BR3, they might think it's an organization.
After that, we may get a BR549!
You can get anything you want at Mustang Steve's web site;
I do have a 66 wiper harness, PM me with address if you want me to send it.

Walt!!!!!................That cheap Busch beer (when consumed in excess!) has been known to cause
                             strange & weird behavior!!........Jus  say'in!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/16/2022 12:09 AM  #9

BR549! Brahahaha. Thanks Sally.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/16/2022 4:13 AM  #10

I don't know if this would be of interest, but I did an actual schematic for a 66, and the wipers are on page 4. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

Most forums don't allow uploading of large files, so I parked several useful documents on Google Drive. Using the link above, you have free access to all the documents in this directory.

For the unaware, there is a big difference between a wire diagram and a schematic. A wire diagram is very useful to wire a car. A schematic simplifies the circuit so you can see at a glance how it works. I recall one forum member who disliked wire diagrams so much that he referred to them as cave drawings. They both have their uses, and I think you need both.

Note: These drawings were done in an 18 year old CAD program. The only reasonable way for people to view high resolution files is if they are saved as a pdf. However, the pdf in this ancient software can only output in portrait mode. Since most of the drawings are in landscape mode, I had to rotate them 90° prior to saving as a pdf. Just print the page(s) wanted and you will have a full landscape A-size pdf. Sorry for the inconvenience. The Schematics also have a table of contents so you can find the page that holds your area of interest.

7/16/2022 6:09 AM  #11

wsinsle wrote:

I think Walt may need a "movement"....soon. 
Sorry guys....I'm old, I watch virtually NO TV, so I missed the significance of BR549.  Please 'splain to the old man.

7/16/2022 6:24 AM  #12

Jr Samples on HeeHaw, used BR549 as the number to call for his used car dealership

Last edited by josh-kebob (7/16/2022 6:55 AM)

7/16/2022 9:33 AM  #13

josh-kebob wrote:

Jr Samples on HeeHaw, used BR549 as the number to call for his used car dealership

I remember Jr. and I think I might have watched a few minutes of Hee Haw mebby 50 years ago or so.  Wasn't MinniPearl also on that show...and Snuffy Smith?

7/16/2022 9:56 AM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

I remember Jr. and I think I might have watched a few minutes of Hee Haw mebby 50 years ago or so.  Wasn't MinniPearl also on that show...and Snuffy Smith?

Barby Benton is the person I remember from Hee Haw.🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/16/2022 10:44 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Sorry Bob, both of you. Just a twist on Hee Haw and a old Arlo Guyhrie song. The songs still funny, after a couple of those Bush Beers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM 

Last edited by wsinsle (7/16/2022 11:09 AM)

7/16/2022 11:32 AM  #16

Then theres,"Gloom. despair and agony on me. Deep dark depression excessive misery.  If it twernt for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...gloom, despair and agony on me..

Tharmt tune will niw be in your head all day... !!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.