FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 9:34 AM  #1

Summit Racing Manufactured Parts?

I'm needing to change my MSD 6AL and don't feel like dropping $250.  Summit Racing sells their own MSD Box for $100 less.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850610/overview/

Says it does the same thing and has lots of positive reviews.  I don't particularly like paying so much for the MSD (Holley) branding.  Seems overpriced for all that red paint.  Never bought anything directly from Summit Racing though and I don't trust reviews for their own stuff on their own site. 

Anyone replaced after market parts with Summit Racing parts?  (I guess it's all aftermarket regardless but you know what I mean.)

12/05/2019 2:35 PM  #2

Re: Summit Racing Manufactured Parts?

About the ONLY place I have ever bought "hot rod" parts!!  Good quality.....super prices(price match-er)..even military discount.,,,great return policy.
Can't hardly go worng IMHO
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/05/2019 3:41 PM  #3

So Summit doesn't make anything themselves.  They are selling something rebranded.  That said, there's a lot of that in the aftermarket parts industry.  I bought a Milodon water pump once and it looked like a cheaper one I'd seen online so I bought that one too to compare them.  Same exact part (casting numbers, etc. were identical).  Milodon one had a disc spot welded to the back of the impeller.  I copied the disc and sent the Milodon pump back.  Saved at least $40 as I recall.

Now, that said, I have used other manufacturer's ignitions over the years with bad luck.  I have the same MSD-6A I've had for like two decades that still works, but I went through a 6AL and a Crane Hi-6 in only a couple of months.  I think I'd check their warranty policy and see if anyone else chimes in with specific experience with the Summit box before I bought it. 

12/05/2019 3:55 PM  #4

Didja see the $180 6AL i posted in your other thread?

Last edited by 50vert (12/05/2019 3:56 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/07/2019 9:19 PM  #5

Only summit brand stuff I have used was a Foxbody T5 clutch release lever. It was much better quality than the same Ford part for alot less.
Can’t think of anything else I have “taken a risk” on.

At least it has to be better than anything with Scott Drake on it...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/08/2019 6:20 AM  #6

Low bar MS, low bar.

12/08/2019 2:57 PM  #7

Not Summit made, but they sold it me.
In  2005 I bought a complete Crane ignition system for $650.00, box, coil, distributer.
 A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd order a new cap and rotor. 
Well no such luck no stock.
I called Crane and was told no stock,they sold the ignition line to F.A.S.T. 
 Called F.A.S.T. and was told no Stock,  the particular distributer I had was one of the ones they did not carry over.
 So here I am with a $375.00 distributer that useless.
Summit was nice enough offer to sell me another distributer.
 I wonder if a Ford distributer will work with the control box.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/08/2019 3:19 PM  #8

MSD works with Ford distributors.  That probably will as well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/10/2019 2:58 PM  #9

MS wrote:

At least it has to be better than anything with Scott Drake on it...

I absolutely agree with this statement!

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

12/10/2019 4:43 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

In  2005 I bought a complete Crane ignition system for $650.00, box, coil, distributer.
 Called F.A.S.T. and was told no Stock,  the particular distributer I had was one of the ones they did not carry over.

Have you tried eBay?  A part number may or may not help, but with some time searching you'd be surprised what you can find there.  I buy NOS and obsolete parts there all the time for everything from cars to tools to appliances. 

12/10/2019 7:06 PM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Have you tried eBay?  A part number may or may not help, but with some time searching you'd be surprised what you can find there.  I buy NOS and obsolete parts there all the time for everything from cars to tools to appliances. 

I have exhausted all my options, I will try to find out where the product went that FAST did not acquire.

12/11/2019 11:05 AM  #12

Are the Summit reviews by the customers? It might be worth a shot.

From reading different forums, it appears the old MSD stuff was better quality. I’ve read of several like TKO that had parts that’s for years. I know of one guy that carries 2 spare MSD pick-ups for the distributor cause they have gone out on him so regularly.

Rudi wrote:

You might have tried this already. But I have to ask........will a typical Ford cap and rotor work on that distributor. It doesn’t seem cost effective to reinvent the wheel so to speak for a cap and rotor specific to Crane.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/11/2019 12:44 PM  #13

I can get a cap from F.A.S.T. that fits but the rotor is unlike any others I have seen in the past 50 plus years.
 The rotor mount hole is a "D" shape,perfectly round with a flat.

12/11/2019 1:49 PM  #14

I'd see if the rotor is from something else, like a Chevy.  To me its unlikely that they made a specific part for a low volume product.  Its much more likely that they designed it to work with a common part they already had in stock.  Worst case you could probably find someone to 3D print it. 

12/11/2019 4:21 PM  #15

12/11/2019 4:23 PM  #16

I've bought Summit Racing Long Tube Headers 25 years ago and Im still using them.  I bought there gauges and they worked well.   I just bought there carburetor and that works really well.  I might consider there EFI down the road if there bugs are worked out.    Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.