FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2020 11:47 AM  #1

Question on a Mustang II Heidts rack and pinion steering stops

Guy I work with says he just put in a Mustang II Heidts front end in his car 1966 and is concerned that the wheels turn too far and will hit the side of the frame rail.

Is there some sort of steering stops he is supposed to install?

8/12/2020 1:53 PM  #2

Re: Question on a Mustang II Heidts rack and pinion steering stops

Isn't there already a steering stop on the  front  from the factory?  IF so he could just "adjust" that to stop the tires.  Since these classics ARE 50+ years old...........Lawd knows what's been taken off and added to!!! 
If it ain't there.......bet-cha somebody make a very inferior knock-off at an inflated price that he could purchase.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/12/2020 2:12 PM  #3

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

8/12/2020 2:18 PM  #4

Next question, where does this go?

8/12/2020 3:54 PM  #5

You have to pull the rubber boots off the rack housing, turn rack to lock in one direction (the limiter will shorten the travel in the opposite direction) and put the limiter on the rack on the side that is extended.  They will only snap over the correct diameter portion of the rack.  Put the boots back on and put a wire tie around it to keep it in place.

Here is a youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3bH1l_36Y

Last edited by Dkralc (8/12/2020 3:55 PM)

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

8/13/2020 4:57 AM  #6

THank you Dkralc, I will pass all of this on to the guy I work with. Trying to get him onto the forum. He is a crusty old dude. Will fit right in.

8/16/2020 12:32 PM  #7

I never knew they had such a thing.  I wonder if I will need them for my Rod & Custom MII swap.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.