FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2020 7:22 AM  #1

AC Compressor Location

Thinking about next springs project, which will be AC. I would like to locate the compressor on the passenger side of the motor and either raise or lower the alternator as needed with the compressor above or below it. It would seem that this would make the hose routing shorter and more direct, keeping everything on one side. Has anyone done this or seen it done? I'm not scared to make my own brackets.

8/10/2020 7:28 AM  #2

Re: AC Compressor Location

Someone has done it here on the site, but I can’t remember who. Do some searches through the site and you should get some threads with pictures.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/10/2020 9:10 AM  #3

Do a search on VMF, I’ve seen it done there even one on the down low pass side.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/12/2020 2:59 PM  #4

I have Vintage A/C system, compressor on the driver's side.  I believe Vintage offers a passenger side option, check with Vintage.
BTW - the Vintage system works great, but have found that I need tinted windows.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/12/2020 7:04 PM  #5

Ours is on the right side using the "standard" 5.0 two serpentine belt system.  I did modify the AC bracket to move the compressor up and in.  This makes the engine more balanced and gives more room on the right side. This front dress is available on any 89 or 90 CV, TC, or Marque.   The engine is out right now so photos and patterns of the AC brackets would be no problem . 

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/12/2020 7:25 PM  #6

Thanks Bullet Bob,
Any additional photos would be great, this is exactly what I was thinking.

8/12/2020 8:21 PM  #7

kardad wrote:

Thanks Bullet Bob,
Any additional photos would be great, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Keep in mind that this isn't "drop on".  You would do best to bone yard the entire front dress from one of the cars mentioned.  It's a fairly ugly system as it comes from the factory but by making a couple of pieces it cleans up okay.  You will need the four bolt type dampener and front pulleys, water pump pulley...it's a normal cw water pump, and the pulleys for the alternator and PS pump if used.  You may also need to get or make an idler to replace the Thermactor pump on the right side (smog pump).
It was fairly easy for me as I used an 89 TC as a donor. 
If you are still interested PM you email addy and I'll shoot you some pix, etc.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/13/2020 7:48 AM  #8

Sent you a PM BB

8/13/2020 8:48 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ours is on the right side using the "standard" 5.0 two serpentine belt system.  I did modify the AC bracket to move the compressor up and in.  This makes the engine more balanced and gives more room on the right side. This front dress is available on any 89 or 90 CV, TC, or Marque.   The engine is out right now so photos and patterns of the AC brackets would be no problem . 

BB1

Is that an Explorer intake?  You said stock not “bone stock” 😁

8/13/2020 9:09 PM  #10

Yes, Exploder intake.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.