FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2020 4:44 PM  #1

Gotta call BS...

Had a weak moment yesterday morning as I enjoyed my first cup of java. Made the mistake of watching an episode of Fantom Works. The boys were messing with an AC system that required R12. When the customer came in for the bill, good ol Dan said, Do you know how hard it is to get R12 and what it costs? Why it's $500 to $1000 per pound! Gee Dan, I've got a few pounds of the stuff I'll sell you at half price.....and I see it for sale on Craigslist all the time.

Needless to say, I won't be tuning in again to that show...

10/31/2020 5:22 PM  #2

Re: Gotta call BS...

So the 30# bottle, new and unused, sitting in my garage is worth 15-30 thousand dollars! Sweet.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/31/2020 6:54 PM  #3

RV6 wrote:

So the 30# bottle, new and unused, sitting in my garage is worth 15-30 thousand dollars! Sweet.

Glad I could help Gary!

10/31/2020 7:08 PM  #4

Yep

And they use hardware store bolts on engines, too.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2020 5:52 AM  #5

Some of those shows are ok,But I think most make it look easy. And it is not a fast process.

If its worth doing do it right !

11/01/2020 7:55 AM  #6

My favorite are the continuity errors, where you'll see something completed in one scene, then 20 minutes later its not done.

Ah, for these guys its a business, and that's exactly what reality TV is.  Its TV, but its not very real.  They monkey with stuff in editing, they build fake suspense and drama, and yep, they stretch the truth.  Without that it would probably be boring to watch for 90% of their target audience.

I look on the bright side though, it does attract the younger generation, and if that's what gets them into the hobby I'm okay with it.  They've time later to learn that a lot of the time the guys on TV are full of #$%^, or just selling product.  If nothing else its a middle of the road genre of shows I can watch with my sons.  The talking dogs and the stuff on YouTube gets old...

11/01/2020 8:46 AM  #7

josh-kebob wrote:

Had a weak moment yesterday morning as I enjoyed my first cup of java. Made the mistake of watching an episode of Fantom Works. The boys were messing with an AC system that required R12. When the customer came in for the bill, good ol Dan said, Do you know how hard it is to get R12 and what it costs? Why it's $500 to $1000 per pound! Gee Dan, I've got a few pounds of the stuff I'll sell you at half price.....and I see it for sale on Craigslist all the time.

Needless to say, I won't be tuning in again to that show...

Phantom Works is here in Norfolk and I’ve seen and spoken to Dan at a car show. He’s one of those guys that is your best friend if you’ve got a ton of money to spend but won’t give you the time of day if you just want to talk cars or ask a question. That said he has some very talented guys working for him and has a very successful business. Those guys are why I watch the show.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/01/2020 1:42 PM  #8

As with ALL these shows, the contrived drama and they're ALWAYS under the gun time wise to "finish this build" and everything just falls off the car and magically installs with no issues is just BS. I wish just once they could make an hours long show revealing just how long this stuff actually takes and how many small problems have to be handled to get the final result. I guess that's why they call it "entertainment". And I can't stand Chip Foose's ugly wheels.....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/01/2020 5:07 PM  #9

Ron68 wrote:

As with ALL these shows, the contrived drama and they're ALWAYS under the gun time wise to "finish this build" and everything just falls off the car and magically installs with no issues is just BS. I wish just once they could make an hours long show revealing just how long this stuff actually takes and how many small problems have to be handled to get the final result. I guess that's why they call it "entertainment". And I can't stand Chip Foose's ugly wheels.....

X2 on those wheels.  Every car doesn't need 22" rims!  I'm also not a fan of the 8-10 color paint jobs.  I hope those cars never get in a wreck because the whole car will end up having to be painted. 

And yeah, you can't work 90 hours a week every week.  You'd end up addicted to coke or meth, or have some kind of psychotic episode.  Maybe both...

11/09/2020 9:22 PM  #10

Ron68 wrote:

Roadkill Garage is slightly better about that.  They have no problem telling you it took them 3 months to do a small item of the build.  It makes me feel better when they show their extreme frustration about something rather than all the parts falling into place.

Last edited by bigred (11/09/2020 9:22 PM)

11/10/2020 3:52 AM  #11

David Frieburger probably shaped how I feel about cars and the hobby more than anyone else.  I used to read Car Craft and 4 Wheeler religiously, back when they were good magazines.  I was psyched to see him come to TV, and his lunatic cast of characters is also quite entertaining.  6BT Cummins in a Cadillac was probably my favorite episode. 

11/10/2020 6:50 AM  #12

anyone else notice a "new build" comes in, and in the back ground is a car that was finished and sent home last year.

11/10/2020 7:02 AM  #13

Yeah, the continuity is off on that too.  Episodes air out of chronological order. 

11/10/2020 7:48 AM  #14

If you look this kind of templated show is everywhere. Take a look at the "home improvement/flip" shows (This Old House stands apart). Same thing, pretty much just an infomercial with some fake drama thrown in. You see the same rush, poor quality, dishonest timelines, brand pushing theme in them. Now they have cabin builds, off the grid builds, etc, etc. It's all just for brand placement and pushing consumers down to the store...

11/10/2020 9:10 AM  #15

At times you get some interesting ideas from those shows, but mostly, yes, they paint a picture of the construction industry that is largely inaccurate.  I think the decline of print media has led to this.  Prior to being mostly forgotten magazines started doing the same thing.  Its why I stopped reading them.  I couldn't see spending money for what was basically glorified advertisements.  They should be giving it to me for free, or honestly some of it was so bad they should have paid me to read it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.