FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2013 7:04 PM  #1

Shelby Steering Linakege

Two years ago when I changed my steering box I was talked into going with a rebuilt stock 19:1 box instead of a 16:1 box. After being on the track a couple times this year I am regretting that decision. I want to add the Shelby quick steer linkage. Is adding the linkage comparable to updating to a 16:1 steering box?

How many turns is a 16:1 box? 19:1 box?

I am hoping the kit will help in the hair pin turn at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

7/23/2013 7:13 PM  #2

Re: Shelby Steering Linakege

IIRC the Shelby quick steer linkage (is PS linkage?) isn't stand alone, is ment to be used with the 16:1 box.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

7/23/2013 7:22 PM  #3

Tubo wrote:

IIRC the Shelby quick steer linkage (is PS linkage?) isn't stand alone, is ment to be used with the 16:1 box. 

Didn't the Shelby's come with manual steering?

Last edited by ponyboy66 (7/23/2013 7:23 PM)

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

7/23/2013 7:41 PM  #4

The Shelby 65/66 quick-steer linkage consists of a longer pitman arm and idler arm.  It is designed for manual steering, and it doesn't kow the difference in the box ratio.  It fits either box.

When these were readily available, they stated manual steering olnly, but I have heard of some who fitted them to p/s cars.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/23/2013 7:53 PM  #5

I am  saying, "If I Remember Correctly" the Shelby quick steer linkage IS PS linkage. Ya gotta remember Ole Shel didn't have stuff made up special, He used OTS when ever he could.
However I have been to sleep several times since I heard or read of that, and it could have been a dream.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

7/24/2013 6:25 AM  #6

Tubo wrote:

I am  saying, "If I Remember Correctly" the Shelby quick steer linkage IS PS linkage. Ya gotta remember Ole Shel didn't have stuff made up special, He used OTS when ever he could.
However I have been to sleep several times since I heard or read of that, and it could have been a dream.

Tubo

I don't think so in this case, Tubo.  A p/s and a m/s pitman arm are normally the same animal.  Shelby had them made longer just for his purpose.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/24/2013 7:02 AM  #7

I've heard that when you install the shelby pitman & idler the steering no longer centers its self when you let go of the wheel..

It's hard to type "funny"

7/24/2013 7:22 AM  #8

I have the shelby quick steer on my car.  I have not noticed whether or not the steering centers but since I have not noticed I am guessing that it does center itself.  I don't recall having to turn and also turn back.  One would notice this on a manual steer car I think.  Next ride out I will pay closer attention.

7/24/2013 4:51 PM  #9

From what I've read you can't use the quick steer pitman/idler on the factory PS cars because the longer arms move the center link forward far enough that the ball pivot at the centerlink end of the ram doesn't have enough travel range to accomodate the increased angle between the ram and centerlink. I suppose if the mounting point for the ram at the frame end could be moved forward you could make it work.

To the original question - the quick steer kit with the 19:1 box would pretty much get you to the same overall ratio as the 16:1 box with stock pitman/idler (see the the following quote that I found on another site that explains why the 16:1 and 19:1 are often referred to as 22:1 and 27:1 respectively).

The 16:1 box should be about 3 3/4 turns LtoL (typically cited as 4) and the 19:1 about 4 5/8 (typically cited as 5).

Quote:

The boxes have either a 16:1 (Power steering, manual with handling package) or a 19:1 (standard) ratio, so one turn of the steering wheel turns the pitman arm shaft 1/16th of a turn. The standard pitman arm is about 5" long and the Shelby version about an inch longer, while the steering arm on the spindles is about 7", so there's another 7:5 or (7:6) ratio, making the overall ratio range from 19 x 7/5 = 27:1 (standard) to 16 x 7/6= 19:1 and the GT and power steering cars in between at 22:1 (with the quick steering box, but the short pitman & idler arms).

I have the Shelby steering arms with a bearing in the idler arm, which really makes a difference in steering effort. I found the stock rubber bushing to be so stiff, that it didn't twist but instead the teeth on the inner sleeve were chewing away the washer that holds in in place, which I think explained my somewhat erratic straight ahead steering (sometimes it pulled a little to the left and sometimes to the right...)

The main improvement I made to the steering system though, was pumping the box full of grease, which probably cut steering effort in half. See www.stangerssite.com for instructions. The steering is now a pleasure, instead of being very heavy without any precision or feel as it used to be.

Using the formulas above your overall ratio with the 19:1 box and quick steer kit would be about 22:1 vs. 19:1 with the 16:1 box and quick steer kit which is a pretty good improvement over your current setup at 27:1 overall ratio so maybe that'll get you to where you want to be without having to replace the box.

(Pinto!)

7/24/2013 9:07 PM  #10

So, in reading all the posts, I still do not come away with a clear understanding if the Shelby steering arm will work with the factory 16:1 steering box?  And if it would work, do you need to change the idler arm, as well?  Would this require, at least, a new tow in/out alignment?

I think it would be great to be able to reduce the lock to lock steering on my '65 convertible.

Last edited by boomyal (7/24/2013 9:11 PM)

7/24/2013 10:24 PM  #11

Thanks McStang! This is exactly what I wanted to find out. I can keep my rebuilt 19:1 box add the Shelby quick steer and end up with a 16:1 steering ratio, perfect. My steering effort is fine now so this change should work for the street as well.

boomyal, the Shelby steering arm will work with a manual 16:1 steering box, but you better have ripped forarms to park the car. I believe that is the combo Shelby used on his 65 and 66 cars

7/25/2013 9:01 AM  #12

ponyboy66 wrote:

.......boomyal, the Shelby steering arm will work with a manual 16:1 steering box, but you better have ripped forarms to park the car. I believe that is the combo Shelby used on his 65 and 66 cars

What I failed to say is "will it work with a 16:1 box that has factory powersteering?"

7/25/2013 9:19 AM  #13

boomyal wrote:

ponyboy66 wrote:

.......boomyal, the Shelby steering arm will work with a manual 16:1 steering box, but you better have ripped forarms to park the car. I believe that is the combo Shelby used on his 65 and 66 cars

What I failed to say is "will it work with a 16:1 box that has factory powersteering?"

According to what McStang said, no.

7/25/2013 3:08 PM  #14

boomyal wrote:

ponyboy66 wrote:

Hey Boom,

When you put the longer quick steer pitman & idler arms on the car the result is that the whole center/draglink is moved an inch forward (towards the oil pan). From what I've read, this means that the power ram angle in relation to the centerlink is increased as the mounting point for the other end of the ram at the framerail hasn't moved forward. Apparently the issue is that the range of travel that the pivot at the centerlink end of the ram has isn't enough with the increased angle to prevent binding of the pivot against the ram body when you turn the wheels all the way to the right (when the ram is the shortest) and the pivot can/will break. Bad stuff there.

Stands to reason then that if you were able to move the frame mount for the ram forward (don't know if it would need to be the full inch or not) to reduce the angle between the ram and centerlink that it would work fine. Seems like a well made custom bracket for the frame end of the ram would be a doable thing and not too tricky.

(Pinto!)

7/25/2013 8:14 PM  #15

McStang wrote:

boomyal wrote:

ponyboy66 wrote:

Hey Boom,

When you put the longer quick steer pitman & idler arms on the car the result is that the whole center/draglink is moved an inch forward (towards the oil pan). From what I've read, this means that the power ram angle in relation to the centerlink is increased as the mounting point for the other end of the ram at the framerail hasn't moved forward. Apparently the issue is that the range of travel that the pivot at the centerlink end of the ram has isn't enough with the increased angle to prevent binding of the pivot against the ram body when you turn the wheels all the way to the right (when the ram is the shortest) and the pivot can/will break. Bad stuff there.

Stands to reason then that if you were able to move the frame mount for the ram forward (don't know if it would need to be the full inch or not) to reduce the angle between the ram and centerlink that it would work fine. Seems like a well made custom bracket for the frame end of the ram would be a doable thing and not too tricky.

I'll have to study up next time I have the car up in the air.  IMHO, the 16:1 w/ factory power is unnecessarily over powered.  I think that with a slightly smaller steering wheel AND the increased ratio, all would be quite comfortable.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.