FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2023 4:14 PM  #1

Brakes not working very well

Hey guys,

Im helping my son get his 68 Mustang on the road.  He has Granada brakes on the front and ford explorer disc brakes on the rear.   We figured out he must of had some bad front Granada Calipers.  We got another set and now the rotor does spin freely and seems to work how it should.  Seems like the first hit of the brake pedal and it goes down to far.  The second and third hit and pedal is more where it should be at.   I think there might still be air in the system.  We do a have a disc/disc 2000 mustang master cylinder.   Another thing I was going to check is the rod going to the master cylinder to make sure its long enough and making contact right away.   Any other things to be looking for?  

Thanks
Steve69

11/21/2023 6:10 PM  #2

Re: Brakes not working very well

Make sure the calipers are on the correct side - i.e. the bleed port on top. Having to pump the pedal seems to me that  there is air in the system. Did you properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installation? Do the brake bleed procedure again.  Right rear, left rear, front right, front left.
I have Granada (Monarch) front brakes on my 68 and 2003 V6 Mustang master cylinder with 1996 V6 Mustang rear disc brakes. I also have a 1995 Mustang GT brake distribution valve. The brake booster is a stock 67-68 Bendix booster. What booster do you have installed?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/21/2023 7:16 PM  #3

Do you have the correct brake pedal? I made that mistake way back when.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/21/2023 7:57 PM  #4

What vacuum booster is he using?

11/21/2023 10:38 PM  #5

Ron68 wrote:

Make sure the calipers are on the correct side - i.e. the bleed port on top. Having to pump the pedal seems to me that  there is air in the system. Did you properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installation? Do the brake bleed procedure again.  Right rear, left rear, front right, front left.
I have Granada (Monarch) front brakes on my 68 and 2003 V6 Mustang master cylinder with 1996 V6 Mustang rear disc brakes. I also have a 1995 Mustang GT brake distribution valve. The brake booster is a stock 67-68 Bendix booster. What booster do you have installed?

ACTUALLY… If you put the bleeders on the top, pointing up, when installing Granada brakes, you will never get the air out of them. The bleeders must point to the rear.  If they point up, they are on the wrong side of the car.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/22/2023 12:17 AM  #6

Doh! Thanks MS for clearing that up. Your picture is correct of course. I was trying to say that there is a right way and a wrong way to mount the calipers, and I had a brain fart and got it backwards.

And thanks for that ACTUALLY.........:-)

Last edited by Ron68 (11/22/2023 12:18 AM)

11/27/2023 11:03 AM  #7

Thanks Guys, 

Ill check this out and make sure the calipers are the right direction.  Try bleeding again.  We have a MS booster and pedal. Along with a MS cable clutch. 

11/27/2023 3:13 PM  #8

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks Guys, 

Ill check this out and make sure the calipers are the right direction.  Try bleeding again.  We have a MS booster and pedal. Along with a MS cable clutch. 

You sponsored by him? I didn't see any decals on your car.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/27/2023 3:49 PM  #9

Wow I don’t recall that about those calipers and I had them on my old 65 fastback.  I either got lucky or knew what I was doing and just forgot about it.

11/28/2023 2:52 PM  #10

RTM wrote:

Wow I don’t recall that about those calipers and I had them on my old 65 fastback.  I either got lucky or knew what I was doing and just forgot about it.

Only those of us who have screwed it up and put them on the wrong side are aware of the problem it creates.

11/28/2023 5:22 PM  #11

Here, a picture is definitely worth a thousand words.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/29/2023 3:00 PM  #12

Rufus68 wrote:

See post #5 above.

5/02/2024 3:00 PM  #13

After taking the car for a alignment we had the shop owner look everything over for safety issues.   The calipers were on the wrong side.  My son switched them and we bled the brakes and now the pedal is working how it should.  

You guys called it!

Steve69

5/02/2024 9:18 PM  #14

Outstanding.

5/02/2024 9:22 PM  #15

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

See post #5 above.

What a Dumas comment by me. I now see Rufas was referring to Steve's son's caliper. Sorry for being a dummy Rufus68.

5/03/2024 1:15 AM  #16

Steve - I hope the brakes don't.....stop.....your progress on completing the car....

5/06/2024 7:53 AM  #17

Ron68 wrote:

Steve - I hope the brakes don't.....stop.....your progress on completing the car....

lol.  He drove it over 250 miles this last weekend.   More than I drove mine all last year...LOL  

5/06/2024 8:02 AM  #18

5/06/2024 1:38 PM  #19

Wow - where have I seen that car before? This was taken many years ago when I had the Maier Racing cowl induction hood and different wheels.

Last edited by Ron68 (5/06/2024 1:39 PM)

5/06/2024 1:45 PM  #20

Ron68 wrote:

Wow - where have I seen that car before? This was taken many years ago when I had the Maier Racing cowl induction hood and different wheels.

That does look similar to my son's!   

5/06/2024 10:10 PM  #21

Great decision to swap out those wheels, Ron!!!

Note to all:
If you get a chance, check out the detail of Ron’s build on this car. You won’t be disappointed.

5/06/2024 11:26 PM  #22

Thanks MS! Yeah, those old wheels and that cowl induction hood definitely had to go! I originally had the hood because I had a 250 six in there with a two barrel Weber carb on a hand built adapter that put the carb up too high to clear the hood, so thus the cowl induction hood. Live and learn! Thank God the six spun a rod bearing at 650 miles. I pulled it and installed the 351W and never looked back. Didn't need the hood any longer, so ditched it and those funky 15" wheels.  Like you said, experience is gained by making mistakes, and I made a lot - and learned the hard way.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.