FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2024 11:09 PM  #1

GT style dash for 65

OK quick queston on the gas gauge. I have a 65 coupe an switched over from the stock dash to the GT dash from a 65. Will the gauge read the same. I used to go into the E line and still have 2 gallons left. Just wondering if this will be somewhat the same. I am getting very close to the line and will carry 2 gallons of gas just so I dont run out but I want to know where really low is and hope its close to the same place. Not that I drive on E all the time but I just want to know when its hits E will I be out in a couple miles or am I on a small reserve. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/14/2024 5:46 AM  #2

Re: GT style dash for 65

Cab4word67 wrote:

OK quick queston on the gas gauge. I have a 65 coupe an switched over from the stock dash to the GT dash from a 65. Will the gauge read the same. I used to go into the E line and still have 2 gallons left. Just wondering if this will be somewhat the same. I am getting very close to the line and will carry 2 gallons of gas just so I dont run out but I want to know where really low is and hope its close to the same place.  

Electrically, yes.  The gauges operate the same.  The new gauge may be adjusted slightly differently though (there are mechanical adjustments on them).  If possible, check the "new" gauge against the old gauge by making sure the new gauge reads the same as the old gauge with given levels of fuel in the tank.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/14/2024 7:55 AM  #3

John Ha wrote:

Cab4word67 wrote:

OK quick queston on the gas gauge. I have a 65 coupe an switched over from the stock dash to the GT dash from a 65. Will the gauge read the same. I used to go into the E line and still have 2 gallons left. Just wondering if this will be somewhat the same. I am getting very close to the line and will carry 2 gallons of gas just so I dont run out but I want to know where really low is and hope its close to the same place.  

Electrically, yes.  The gauges operate the same.  The new gauge may be adjusted slightly differently though (there are mechanical adjustments on them).  If possible, check the "new" gauge against the old gauge by making sure the new gauge reads the same as the old gauge with given levels of fuel in the tank.

Another issue that would impact the reading is the CVU.  These units regulate the voltage to about 5v, but there can be minor variations that could affect the gauge reading.  

Last edited by BobE (4/14/2024 7:56 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/14/2024 8:57 AM  #4

My last build, many years ago.  I converted my 65 to the 66 gauges.   I recall some of the engine wiring being different.   Maybe it was just the alternator?

4/14/2024 5:02 PM  #5

Strongly encourage conversion of the AMP gauge to VOLTS. hookup is simplified and more useful information comes from the gauge.

You need to change OIL pressure sending unit to gauge type.
The FUEL and TEMP gauge should read same using existing wiring and senders. Like John Ha mentioned, some variation might occur.  If gauge reads different, try using the 65 CVU to see if it corrects it

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2024 10:26 PM  #6

Perhaps some of these pictures may help…maybe not.

This is a factory 65 5 gauge panel with inductive ammeter (deluxe interior).
Ignore the white speaker wire going through the ammeter loop…it was a temporary repair of 25 years.

4/15/2024 6:57 AM  #7

I believe another difference is the stock 65 dash has a single light for both left and right turn signals.  I believe the GT dash has separate lights for these (like the 66 dash), so a wiring change would be necessary. 

4/15/2024 9:10 AM  #8

BobE wrote:

I believe another difference is the stock 65 dash has a single light for both left and right turn signals.  I believe the GT dash has separate lights for these (like the 66 dash), so a wiring change would be necessary. 

Just split the two wires from the single bulb to a L and R wire.

4/15/2024 9:18 AM  #9

In 66, Ford cut the bottom of the opening larger in the dash to make it easier to get the gauges in. I did not cut it in Cara’s 65 when I converted it to 66 gauges, but I plan to do it on my 65 convertible.

4/16/2024 7:36 AM  #10

MS wrote:

In 66, Ford cut the bottom of the opening larger in the dash to make it easier to get the gauges in. I did not cut it in Cara’s 65 when I converted it to 66 gauges, but I plan to do it on my 65 convertible.

Interesting, I had the cut that half-round section to fit the 66 dash into my 65.  The 65 opening was basically flat across the bottom.  

4/19/2024 3:43 PM  #11

OK got my results. Needle will go into E and just as it is leaving the mark I still have 1.5 gallons left. Prety much as the stock dash one. This gives me piece of mind knowing that when getting close to E and fill up I will still have 2+ gallons in tank.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.