FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2024 2:20 PM  #1

Where have people located the main module for the cruise control

I want to install the system before Bash in October but really can't find a decent location. Where have others mounted it succesfully?

4/26/2024 2:46 PM  #2

Re: Where have people located the main module for the cruise control

On a 65/66...like mine and Sal's...you can neatly install the servo at the right end, behind the dash, right next to the glove box.  Then let the cable make a nice clean sweep up over the glove box, behind or above the radio,to the firewall.  Only thing you see under the hood is a short piece of ball chain. If your unit has a little stick-on button cluster for controls, you can buy a Rostra "slip-over" stock from Summit and attach it to the turn signal lever (gotta cut the lever).  This may require changing one or more dip switches in the servo.
I think Steve and Glen B also mounted the servo unit from a Rostra electronic cruise control in this same location on Steve's 67.  I think they mentioned that the electric servo makes a clicking noise that is annoying.  May be they use a "duty cycle" motor on those.  The old skool vacuum servo I have is dead quiet....not that my ears would notice.
Also, you will want to get a late 80's /early 90's ford VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and a speedo cable that will also connect to the VSS.  That is unless you already have an electronic or GPS speedo.  Don't mess with the magnets on the driveshaft method.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/26/2024 4:57 PM  #3

I mounted mine in the engine compartment where the stock window washer fluid  bag goes.  I figure I needed access in case I mess up the set up codes.   Yep I did go figure.

4/26/2024 8:25 PM  #4

Although I do not have cruise control, I did have a custom speedometer cable made for my needs.

Cable has threaded connection to factory gauge and foxbody push-in do hickey at transmission.

Factory EFI uses vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for deceleration and cruise control.

60” cable works for me.

‘65 speedometer (5 gauge)
‘92 T-5 transmission
Foxbody vehicle speed sensor (VSS)

This is who made my speedometer cable:

https://speedometercablesusa.com/

upload

4/27/2024 2:26 PM  #5

On my 65 stang I mounted it just in front of the DS shock tower. On my 67 C10 I had to mount it on the kick panel behind the dash because of my tilt hood. I cant hear it mak any noise, but then I cant here anything unless you open up the headers. Both are Rostra although the one in my truck is from Dakota Digital its the same. Both have the slip on turn switch controls and I just run the wires in through the colum. My truck uses the dakota sender for the dash and I JB welded the sencor on the drive line for the mustang many years ago. I also used there zip tie and wraped it with ele tape. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/27/2024 7:19 PM  #6

I put my Rostra servo mechanism on the sloped side of the passenger floor board on the outside of the floor panel.
Of course, I did make all of the necessary splash shields and waterproofing of the unit.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/01/2024 3:33 PM  #7

Rudy that location is looking like the only available real estate I have left. 

5/01/2024 4:15 PM  #8

The unit I  have has a really long cable and could not bear having an ugly cable coiled up under the hood.
I marked the location from inside the car and used steel riv- nuts to mount the unit.
The company, Rostra, said the actuator cable was no shortanable, is that even a word!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.