FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2024 3:16 PM  #1

Alternator choice

What have you guys successfully used for a one-wire alternator conversion on a 65?  I put a 3g on my 66, so that is one option.  Any horror stories on various brands?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/02/2024 3:49 PM  #2

Re: Alternator choice

If you think you might install EFI in the future, the 3G is an excellent choice.  It provides full voltage down to idle and the voltage is stable and noise free.  Some of the 1-wires, even from the bigger suppliers, struggle to provide 12 volts at idle and they are often "dirty".  So, even without EFI, the 3G is a good choice.  I run a junkyard pull in my truck and bought a new one for the Mustang.  Most parts houses will have 3G's in stock.  I ended up pulling wiring from a variety of mid-90's Fords for the 3G.  I used a power distribution box with a mega fuse from a Ranger on the Mustang and I used a factory fusible link assembly from one of the mini vans on the truck.  Both work well.

5/02/2024 6:22 PM  #3

I have Delco 10si  on my Galaxies.   I have the same on the convertible engine.   All set up as 3 wire. 

As about as reliable as one can get.  Easy to modify, and clock to fit if need be.   Wiring schematics all over the internet.   Still works with the gen light using a resister/diode.   Probably not enough juice for a car with all modern ammenities, but more than enough for these old cars.   Used to be super dirt cheap, but not as much anymore like everything else.   Oh, and the 3 wire plug used to be in every "help" section of every parts store.   

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but that's what is on my cars, and what will be on the Devil car if it ever progresses forward again.I

Edit:  fix autocorrect mistakes

Last edited by Greg B (5/03/2024 9:02 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/02/2024 7:21 PM  #4

Why deviate from the tried and proven 3G?
The only downside for the 130 amp. may be two v belts, not an issue with serpentine.

Last edited by Rudi (5/02/2024 7:46 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/03/2024 12:15 AM  #5

You can get a 3G alternator with the v-pulley on it.  If you search for "ALT-1807" on eBay you will see the alternator.  If you click on the listing and look at the fitment you will see the list of vehicles that used these alternators.  This will provide you with vehicles that might help to find a cheap used alternator if you choose this route.  Though I'm sure you probably have plenty of v-belt pulleys you can swap to any 3G alternator.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

5/03/2024 3:01 AM  #6

You can get a 1 wire conversion for a 3g .... butt eye wouldn't handicap it like that. 

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/03/2024 5:12 AM  #7

50vert wrote:

You can get a 1 wire conversion for a 3g .... butt eye wouldn't handicap it like that. 

My thoughts exactly.  I think the 3G is definitely the best option for these cars (Fox cars too IMO), but I always want a proper feedback loop for the regulator, even on an internally regulated alternator. 

5/03/2024 7:08 AM  #8

I've had a Delco 10SI self-exciting unit on my convertible for about 20 years and have had no issues.  They are reliable, easy to clock, don't need maintenance, allow you to have minimal wiring, and eliminate the need for a separate regulator.  I've had 3 GM vehicles in the past that used the same Delco units (although not self-exciting) and over the 30 years of ownership and over 400,000 miles combined, have never had a problem - electrical or mechanical.

Last edited by John Ha (5/03/2024 7:09 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/03/2024 8:11 AM  #9

I have the Delco 10SI 3-wire alternator (I wanted to have an idiot light).  I had to replace the internal voltage regulator once as it was charging at 16-18 volts.  I did have to drill out the mounting pivot hole to accommodate the 7/16' bolt.  
I caution anyone about installed a high amp output alternator without also installing the proper protection in these older cars.  The 130amp models can do a lot of damage (read fire) if proper protection isn't provided. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/03/2024 1:11 PM  #10

I have a PowerBastards unit on my Lightning and it's great if you're looking for more oomph over stock, hate the name though... Main thing with modified units is like GPatrick said, make sure they supply you with info on what and where the alt outputs it's rated amperage.

5/03/2024 4:36 PM  #11

Raymond_B wrote:

I have a PowerBastards unit on my Lightning and it's great if you're looking for more oomph over stock, hate the name though... Main thing with modified units is like GPatrick said, make sure they supply you with info on what and where the alt outputs it's rated amperage.

Wait, that's really the name?  I though you were taking a shot at PowerMaster. 

5/03/2024 9:55 PM  #12

I ordered a brand new stock 3g like I have on my 66.   Can’t mess with success. I do have an extra 289 hipo pulley to put on it, just like on the 66.  It fits with a .050” spacer to keep it from rubbing the front of the alternator body.
$95 shipped

5/04/2024 7:00 AM  #13

I read a post by a guy on VMF that is a well known tuner and has worked on 100s of EFI conversions. He claimed that most of the problems with aftermarket EFIs were related to "noisy" power (spikes and dips on the power output), and said that one wire alternators were often a problem.
I recommend a 3G. Converting to a 3G can be a problem for some of us, particularly 67/68 cars with an alternator warning light, because apparently there are no wire diagrams for a 67/68 tach car. Does anyone have access to such a wire diagram? I posed this question of two other forums with no luck. I even found an article in Mustang Monthly also claimed the same problem- no diagrams for 67/68 cars with alternator warning lights (tach cars).

5/04/2024 10:36 AM  #14

Rest assured, there won’t be any problems with EFI on my carbureted car!

5/04/2024 7:51 PM  #15

Not been tested.. but 3g alternator that can be modified for 1 wire if wanted with adding an additional connector on the back side of the alternator. I'm unaware if adding the connector on the back of the alternator eliminates the signal wire to trigger the dummy alt light on gauge cluster.

I used a 1995 ford Taurus alternator. The lower alternator bracket will need to be extended slightly to give enough belt tension. The alternator will also need to be opened and re clocked.
To correct position. I havent decided if I want serpentine belt set up. I went with a new pulley as the stock one doesn't fit. A new beleive that is a gm pulley fits.

5/04/2024 7:52 PM  #16

GPatrick wrote:

If you think you might install EFI in the future, the 3G is an excellent choice.  It provides full voltage down to idle and the voltage is stable and noise free.  Some of the 1-wires, even from the bigger suppliers, struggle to provide 12 volts at idle and they are often "dirty".  So, even without EFI, the 3G is a good choice.  I run a junkyard pull in my truck and bought a new one for the Mustang.  Most parts houses will have 3G's in stock.  I ended up pulling wiring from a variety of mid-90's Fords for the 3G.  I used a power distribution box with a mega fuse from a Ranger on the Mustang and I used a factory fusible link assembly from one of the mini vans on the truck.  Both work well.

Pics of fuse box please

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/10/2024 8:54 PM)

5/04/2024 8:27 PM  #17

I modified a 1964 1/2 harness to give me factory firewall connections. It gave me green wire I used for electric choke. The other connection gave me green/red wire. I re pinned the firewall connector and ran longer wires to go to the alternator and to the carburetor for electric choke.  The green/ red wire goes to the alternators green/red wire to give signal for the dummy light for the sweep syle gauge cluster. I know your cluster is different and I don't believe you have a dummy light. The separate connector can be bought. It removes the green/red connection from the 3g alternator. You'll also need to buy two other connectors for the alternator. One is the white/black stipe wire. And the other is the plug connector for the alternator. The Yellow wire gets looped over to the 12v lug on the alternator the main plug has a white/black stipe wire that splices into the other white/black wire plug connector you'll need to buy. Beside that the alternator needs 12v mega fused connection.

I used a 1995 ford Taurus Alternator reclocked the alternator used a gm vbelt pulley and bought a extra alternator tensioner bracket to extend old bracket.

If planning on using LEDs for all cluster lights relay will have to be used to power the cluster alternator dummy light.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/06/2024 9:44 AM)

5/04/2024 8:37 PM  #18

Not letting me post pics

5/04/2024 8:46 PM  #20

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/self-exciting-one-wire-regulator-for-3g-alternator?srsltid=AfmBOoqQVW5pELLwHMO9DERIk8lPuJDgtNoTHB84QOYUNRqk06JG2G2L1yA
Buy a 1wire 3g conversion and it doesn't need exciting wire. My green/red wire goes to My alternator is the exciting wire.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/06/2024 9:36 AM)

5/04/2024 8:48 PM  #21

I know green/red wire from the relay goes to the alternator and powers my dummy light. Believe it was Bullet Bob who helped Me with the wiring for the alternator dummy light with relay. I wanted to use led light

5/04/2024 9:00 PM  #22

5/05/2024 7:55 AM  #23

Mach1Driver wrote:

I recommend a 3G. Converting to a 3G can be a problem for some of us, particularly 67/68 cars with an alternator warning light, because apparently there are no wire diagrams for a 67/68 tach car. Does anyone have access to such a wire diagram? I posed this question of two other forums with no luck. I even found an article in Mustang Monthly also claimed the same problem- no diagrams for 67/68 cars with alternator warning lights (tach cars).

I Googled "alternator warning light wiring diagram for 1967 ford mustang", and found this hand made sketch, hope it helps.
https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/alternator-warning-light-for-67-mustang.181720/
This wiring sketch is typical of any warning light circuit.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/05/2024 12:58 PM  #24

BobE wrote:

Mach1Driver wrote:

I Googled "alternator warning light wiring diagram for 1967 ford mustang", and found this hand made sketch, hope it helps.
https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/alternator-warning-light-for-67-mustang.181720/
This wiring sketch is typical of any warning light circuit.

Thanks, I know how it works, but I have been looking for a published wire diagram that shows all the plugs, where the splices are, with the wire numbers and colors. There are schematics in the charging section of the shop manuals but they don't get updated every year and a schematic is not a wire diagram. A schematic does not show plugs and the colors if shown are often out of date. Thanks for the effort. 

5/05/2024 6:02 PM  #25

TKOPerformance wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Wait, that's really the name?  I though you were taking a shot at PowerMaster. 

Ha, yes truly the name. Been a good alternator though.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.