FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2024 5:13 PM  #1

SSBC disc brakes dragging

bought a 67 cpe, 289, C4 a couple months ago.  A previous owner installed the SSBC power disc conversion kit (A132-A). 
https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a132-a?rq=yr_1967~mk_ford~md_mustang~ha_base
The guy i bought it from hasn't used it much in the past 4 yrs..  Now I'm battling some front brake drag.  The fluid was badly contaminated so i flushed it thoroughly with a pressure bleeder.  It is now clear & bright at all 4 corners (factory drums still on the rear).

I've also removed both calipers, disassembled the piston (single) and used 600 & 1000 grit wet sand paper to clean up the cylinder and bore.  I've done similar work to the slide pins.  This past weekend, i disassembled the master cylinder and cleaned out the bore like I did with the calipers.  

Even though I had a great 20 mile test drive on Sunday, the problem came back again today.  I had to slow down to about 35mph to ease my way home this evening.  

I checked the temperatures after I got home and the discs were both hot (300+ deg), but at least they were only about 10 degrees different so i don't think the calipers are hanging up otherwise one would probably have been much hotter than the other.

So... Before I just start replacing parts (calipers & master cylinder), is there anything else to look at?  Could the power booster hang up somehow?  The distribution block appears to be original.  Rear drums are working fine.

As always, any input is welcome. 

5/02/2024 5:24 PM  #2

Re: SSBC disc brakes dragging

Check clearance between booster output shaft and master cylinder piston. Shaft might be adjusted too long.
Another possibility is internally swollen hoses.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/03/2024 7:59 AM  #3

Re: SSBC disc brakes dragging

If you didn't replace the caliper piston "quad-rings" in the calipers, they maybe be sticking.  I had this happen on my rear disc brakes.  I purchased a rebuild kit, and only replaced the quad-rings (the old ones showed no sign of defect), didn't do any polishing of the caliper bores, and haven't had an issue since.
My friend who has a repair shop told me that it he's dealt with this before. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.