FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2024 6:39 AM  #1

66 Convertible front end is mostly good except for 2 gaps

Short story long. Using Mustang Steves framing jig. Almost everything on this front end is falling into exact place with exception of these two big gaps that are between the firewall and the left/right fender aprons. 
Both Left and Right side full shock towers and aprons were bought already welded together from CJ. Where they fit onto the framing jig and into the floor frame connectors are dead on. I have the export brace mounted to the shock tower tops and to the cowling and firewall. All of the holes are lining up almost perfectly. Where the firewall and the frame rail butt up against each other are almost perfect. The radiator support is installed and fits in with a little hand slapping. Everything is clamped down. Nothing from the A-Pillar and windshield area is loose and unwelded. 

The issue is the two gaps that are between the firewall and the aprons. One side is 3/4 inch the other is 1/4 inch. 
What am I missing?
picture upload sites

5/03/2024 8:56 AM  #2

Re: 66 Convertible front end is mostly good except for 2 gaps

5/03/2024 8:57 AM  #3

Different computer, and different web browser finally let me upload the rest of the pictures.

5/03/2024 12:22 PM  #4

I think I’ve seen the rear replacement panels not fit well before.  I would get some reference measurements from the firewall to the core support just to make sure is good, if you haven’t already.  I would also try to get measurements from the firewall to the hood hinge mounting points.   Maybe see if there’s a better rear replacement panel.

5/03/2024 3:27 PM  #5

RTM wrote:

I think I’ve seen the rear replacement panels not fit well before.  I would get some reference measurements from the firewall to the core support just to make sure is good, if you haven’t already.  I would also try to get measurements from the firewall to the hood hinge mounting points.   Maybe see if there’s a better rear replacement panel.

Good advice for sure. I too remember reading about that panel to firewall fit bring off.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.