FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2024 8:25 AM  #1

Article - Pro Touring 1966 Mustang Convertible

This Mustang has several of the modifications that have been the topics in recent posts.
Probably could have bought several new Mustangs for this must have cost to build.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1966-ford-mustang-convertible-pro-touring-351-windsor-engine/?eml=organic%3Aeml%3Abrz%3A20240502%3A1966-ford-%3Aarticle%3Anwsltr%3Aowcst%3Amt&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mtod_newsletter

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/03/2024 4:34 PM  #2

Re: Article - Pro Touring 1966 Mustang Convertible

All that and its an automatic.  What a waste.

5/03/2024 5:08 PM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

You are not giving much consideration to the owner who is 78 yo. 
Who  knows what physical restrictions he has to require an automatic.
I personally know that there is no way I could handle a manual like I used to in the past.

Last edited by Rudi (5/03/2024 5:37 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/03/2024 9:58 PM  #4

A351w fits a flat hood just fine. That car just doesn’t look right to me for some reason.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/04/2024 12:13 AM  #5

Those rear view mirrors just aren't making it for me. They don't look right at all. I agree about the hood. Ram air and cowl induction together?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/04/2024 6:20 AM  #6

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

You are not giving much consideration to the owner who is 78 yo.
Who knows what physical restrictions he has to require an automatic.
I personally know that there is no way I could handle a manual like I used to in the past.

Well, as grandad used to say: "Getting old is terrible, but it beats the alternative."  I'm finding he was a wise man.  Maybe one day I'll no longer be able to do the things I used to, but I'm not there yet.  I do feel for those who are.

I take two issues with this car being an auto.  First, its billed as a pro touring car, which means a canyon carver, which is incompatible with an automatic.  Sorry, race cars have manual transmissions for a reason.

Second, where there's a will there's a way.  There are A LOT of options today for a manual transmission that isn't an old clutch on the floor, shifter on the hump setup.  Yes, such setups are expensive, but consider the money in this car.  IMO if the owner wanted a proper transmission he had the financial means to make it happen.  I'm not a fan of paddle shifters, BUT if its paddle shift or an auto I choose paddle shift 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. 

I'm reminded of a story about an old NHRA racer who was in a wreck and got hurt to where he couldn't move the shifter of is 4 speed forward anymore.  A lot of guys would give up or switch to an auto.  Instead, this guy had his crew put the trans in first, and rigged up a setup that pulled the shifter into 3rd if he let go of it.  He could shift 2nd and 4th on his own.  How did he do?  Well, Jerry Hemingson went on to found Jerico Racing Transmissions, pretty much the gold standard in racing manual transmissions.  Where there's a will, there's a way. 

5/05/2024 9:24 AM  #7

BobE wrote:

This Mustang has several of the modifications that have been the topics in recent posts.
Probably could have bought several new Mustangs for this must have cost to build.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/1966-ford-mustang-convertible-pro-touring-351-windsor-engine/?eml=organic%3Aeml%3Abrz%3A20240502%3A1966-ford-%3Aarticle%3Anwsltr%3Aowcst%3Amt&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mtod_newsletter

I don't think that can even be considered a classic Mustang any more.  There's really nothing left of the original car other than a few body panels. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/05/2024 2:39 PM  #8

John Ha wrote:

BobE wrote:

I don't think that can even be considered a classic Mustang any more.  There's really nothing left of the original car other than a few body panels. 

I gotta agree with that.  My buddy had a door car (tube chassis race car) at one point that was a '92 Firebird.  About as much of that car had once been a '92 Firebird as of this car had been a '66 Mustang. 

5/05/2024 3:59 PM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

X-TWO !!!!
Maybe "his-wife" TOLD him to ....just in case she wanted to drive it once !?! J/K
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/10/2024 12:19 PM  #10

There are a lot of aspects of the car to like. Yes, it's more of a custom than a Mustang, that's true. The stance, the Ford in a Ford (have you seen that one all out "Mustang based" custom with the LS in it? Oy) the front valence, the overall fitment. Sure the seats, the hood the mirror are all odd choices. But, give the guy credit, he took a 66 convertible and built a wild custom that he drives. 

On the subject of automatic, I have a 360hp sedan that has a 6 speed auto in it. It has a full manual option and it provides a solid "driver's car" type experience. It's not a terrible option. 

1969 SCJ Mach1 Acapulco Blue/Black - Ram Air - 4 speed - 3.91 1965 C Code Fastback 422W C4 9in

5/10/2024 2:36 PM  #11

The thing is with a manual transmission is that you have to shift it, no if’s and’s, but’s or maybe’s.
An  auto with manual control or paddles you have an option.
I have  a vehicle that has an 8 speed auto with paddle shifters that are occasionally used but “drive” is the usual modus operandi.😎

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/11/2024 7:22 AM  #12

To each his own.  The transition away from drivers cars is why I have no interest in newer vehicles.  Electronic nannies everywhere, pig heavy, WAY too much technology.  I remember years ago when some designer was asked why Porsches didn't have cup holders and he was puzzled by the question.  Of course, now Porsches have cup holders as they caved to market demand, and even started building SUVs for God's sake.  There was something to be said for doing one thing, and doing it very, very well.  Now its just another case study in how the love of money is indeed the root of all evil. 

One of the last real driver's cars (maybe THE last) is my '02 WRX.  3,000lbs, 300HP (227 stock I've got some bolt ons and tuning), 5 speed manual, a simple yet highly effective AWD system, a right pedal still connected to the throttle body, great brakes (with some aftermarket parts), and it handles like a slot car (better sway bars, everything else is stock).  I was die hard American muscle growing up.  Swore I'd never own a Japanese car (I now own two).  One test drive on a twisty back road changed my mind forever.  They got that car really, really right.  I've spanked a lot of guys in far more expensive and powerful cars with it, and all that is done on a 205 tire.  218k miles and I'd go drive it to Florida or Maine right now without so much as checking the oil.  Oh, and 22MPG around town and 35 on the highway running 80MPH. 

5/11/2024 10:06 AM  #13

Boy, as much as I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man, I pretty much agree with you TKO. It seems every big company has become all things for everyone. Tacos at burger joints, burgers at taco stands. Ridiculous.

If that WRX is so reliable, drive it out here to the Bash in October.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.