FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2014 5:43 PM  #1

Finaly got some painting done

Its not perfect, but its pretty good for my 1st time spraying a car. I managed to stick my foot into the dash while I was turning around putting a 2nd coat on the interior. Sanded it out nice, but orange pealed it with primer cause I didn't get the gun set right. Sanded it out again and had help tweaking the gun and laid down a couple decent coats.....K, I haven't shot the outer shell yet...figured I would surely put a scratch or 10 in the new paint during assembly if I painted the whole car. What I did do is epoxy prime and paint the wheel wells and front black. the engine bay, interior, dash, trunk, door and window jams as well as insides of the doors, trunk lid inner, and interior  1/4 panels, door hinges, and steering column Performance White. Forgot to block off the spring holes in shock towers and got nice white overspray on my coil springs...their getting changed out anyway. Paid a guy to knock out the exterior shell bodywork so when I do get it assembled there shouldn't be much more than scuffing before I'm ready to paint. What do ya think?

Last edited by mainiac1 (1/07/2014 5:45 PM)

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

1/07/2014 6:25 PM  #2

Re: Finaly got some painting done

Looks really good ! I like your shock tower notches. Did you make them yourself or are they ah kit?

It's hard to type "funny"

1/07/2014 6:55 PM  #3

I like your color coordinated engine compartment.  It is a good time to get some roller perches and relocate them outward, 3/4".  Your picture is great to show the bind the coil has with the stock location.  With a perch relo, that coil would be straighter without the curvature that you see now.  It would be a much more natural alignment.

Last edited by boomyal (1/07/2014 6:59 PM)

1/07/2014 6:59 PM  #4

I did them myself, but I wouldn't do them again....way lotta work to try to get extra room for the headers on a 351W that was in the car....didn't get me any real room where it counted, but does look pretty cool now all painted up.I put in way too much bodywork time in that area...hence why I jumped on an offer for a real body guy to do the outside. Friggin weather here is so cold can't get my garage warmed up enough to work out there! This Florida, not Maine!

1/07/2014 7:31 PM  #5

Boomyal....I'm trying to start assembling the car so my son can drive it before he graduates this spring...don't give me any tempting ideas that will slow that process down anymore than it is now or cost me any more money Please!      it is tempting and I might buy a set frome Daze when my budget catches back up. as I plan to replace the springs shortly anyway. Are both holes drilled outboard 3/4 to 1" or just the front one? Couldnt tell from the pic I found online.

1/07/2014 9:22 PM  #6

The original recomendation that I saw was for 1", front and rear holes.  I thought that might be excessive so I made a template at 3/4".  After having done the Arning Drop and having my front end lower than was commonly advertized, the 3/4" proved to be perfect.

Here is the total result of the Arning Drop, the 3/4" perch relo, all with stock springs.

After the Arning Drop but before the perch relocation.

This one is after the perch relocation @ 3/4".

[url=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Boomyal/media/P1000231.jpg.html]

I wish I had a picture of the spring/coil after the perch relo.  You would see that the spring was more relaxed and came straight down from the tower without the inward arc.[/url]

Last edited by boomyal (1/07/2014 9:29 PM)

1/07/2014 9:35 PM  #7

Thanks for the info and the pics. Already did the arning drop, but springs that came with are wau too tall even w the 351w that was in the car when I got it,

1/07/2014 10:32 PM  #8

Paint looks great !!!  I have a suggestion, though.  Replace the UCA bolts with a couple of thick stainless washers and flanged stainless bolts so wrenching doesn't mess up the paint.  Or, do you have all you adjustment set up on the LCA now?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/08/2014 5:56 AM  #9

Great idea...don't they need to be grade5 or something? Not set up yet...in my haste to notch the shock towers many moons ago, I pulled off both UCA's and didn't pay attention to which shims went where....you notice my tag line right...Speaking of front suspension stuff...thats a heck of a nice How To write up you did Steve on installing the LCA camber kit. I might have to install a set when I pull the springs out to replace them. How long did that take you to do? If you have the LCA adj kit installed...do you/alignment shop need to pull the coil springs in order to set the LCA camber/make adjustments using the provided shims? Will I need to buy a set or bring shims with to the alignment shop for the UCA camber adj if I don't install the LCA adj kit?

Last edited by mainiac1 (1/08/2014 6:11 AM)

1/08/2014 8:07 AM  #10

Skool me a little.............What does moving the spring perches out 3/4" do for height....ride....handleing??
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/08/2014 8:22 AM  #11

Hey, I used Daze"s DIY roller kit it was a no brainer took an afternoon, just wish I had a blast cabinet for final clean up on the small stuff.

P.S. LOVE THEM DOG BOWLS

Last edited by bulletbirdman (1/08/2014 8:24 AM)

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

1/08/2014 12:17 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

Skool me a little.............What does moving the spring perches out 3/4" do for height....ride....handleing??
6s6

See my pictures above for height effect.  I do not have a precise measurement but probably around an inch.  As for the ride, it made the front end enjoyably more muscular without making it harsh. By moving the perch outward, and of course using roller perches, you lose a little leverage on the UCA but put the coil in a straighter trajectory as it compresses. It is hard to say on the handling because at the same time the relo was done, I had the caster increased by nearly a degree.  The whole setup makes the car handle extremely well.  I've never enjoyed it as much in the whole 30+ years that I have owned it.

My front end guy was really pleased with the alignment of everything after he affected the perch relo.

Last edited by boomyal (1/08/2014 12:20 PM)

1/08/2014 3:44 PM  #13

bulletbirdman wrote:

Hey, I used Daze"s DIY roller kit it was a no brainer took an afternoon, just wish I had a blast cabinet for final clean up on the small stuff.

P.S. LOVE THEM DOG BOWLS

Ok, maybe I'll but the kit and fab it at work one day at a 1/3 the cost of buying them already done.

1/08/2014 8:43 PM  #14

Looking good.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.