FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2014 8:10 PM  #1

Finally Got My '69 F-100 in My Shop

I finally got through with the '67 Mustang I did a LOT of work on (for hire). It went home to its owner this past Tuesday (Yeah!).

I spent all day today trying to get my disasterized shop back into some form of order. --I still have stuff to straighten up and put away but at least I have some room in there again!

I've owned my '69 F-100 for just a little over 3 years now. Today was the first time it has ever set foot ...errr, tire, inside the shop.

Time to start removing the stock front drum brake/I-beams and install the disc brake/I-beams from a '77 F-100, install the power steering gear box from a '78 F-150 and the 1-1/8" front sway bar from a '78 F-250 Camper Special.

5/24/2014 8:18 PM  #2

Re: Finally Got My '69 F-100 in My Shop

Ultrastang sure looks like you got a real nice F100 to start with.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/24/2014 9:00 PM  #3

wsinsle wrote:

Ultrastang sure looks like you got a real nice F100 to start with.

Thanks. I looked at many trucks for about 5 months before I located this truck, through Craigslist Little Rock. It was located 80 miles away in Pine Bluff, AR, where it had been since new.

It isn't ding or scratch free but is very solid, especially considering trucks generally live a much harder life than a car and the fact that it's a 45 year old truck.

5/25/2014 11:52 AM  #4

Wow - I would kill for a shop like that. Looks like you will have a very nice truck when you are completed with it. How is the Ultrastang doing? Will it ever be finished? (you and Hakan seem to have your cars in the long term rebuild/modify modes, right?)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/25/2014 12:18 PM  #5

Why not just put the CV front end in it?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/25/2014 6:50 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

X-2!!
I feel the "split I Beam" was one of FoMoCo's worstest ideas....disc brakes or not.
Butt-hay...snot my truck!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/25/2014 10:12 PM  #7

Ron68 wrote:

Wow - I would kill for a shop like that. Looks like you will have a very nice truck when you are completed with it. How is the Ultrastang doing? Will it ever be finished? (you and Hakan seem to have your cars in the long term rebuild/modify modes, right?)

Thanks. My shop isn't all swanky or fancy (it was built in 1975). But. It's 30' X 30' with a 12' ceiling and there's a lean-to, about 8' wide with a concrete floor and surrounded with chain link, that runs the full 30' length down the side.

While my shop isn't fancy, it does have a roof, 4 walls with a hard concrete floor that keeps my vehicles out of the weather and gives me a place to work on them and for that I'm thankful.

I'm just a few years away from paying the mortgage off. After that, I should have more discretionary funds to begin work on the '68 Mustang.

5/25/2014 10:22 PM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

The Crown Vic swap requires cutting out and welding in. I don't have everything needed to do that conversion yet. On the other hand, I do have everything to swap the disc/I beams in and those components don't require any cutting, fabricating or welding to install them. They are all bolt on components and they are vastly better than my current stock drums.

I don't want my truck down for a long period of time waiting for all the components and modifications necessary to swap both the front and rear assemblies for the Crown Victoria front end and the T-Bird IRS rear end.

5/26/2014 8:16 AM  #9

I just (mostly) finished installing I-beam/radius arm bushings, gas shocks at four corners, and Moog progressive rate front springs in my "new" '70 F250 and as nice as it rides and feels, my plans for the CV conversion are on hold.  I already had discs and power steering so the mods so far have been minimal.

5/26/2014 10:37 AM  #10

GPatrick wrote:

I just (mostly) finished installing I-beam/radius arm bushings, gas shocks at four corners, and Moog progressive rate front springs in my "new" '70 F250 and as nice as it rides and feels, my plans for the CV conversion are on hold.  I already had discs and power steering so the mods so far have been minimal.

I have a power steering gearbox from a '78 F150 and the power steering pump (C-2 version) and pump brackets from a 300 inline six that was in an '82 model pickup. I also have a factory tilt column that came out of a '78 F150. I also grabbed the air conditioner brackets off the '82 pickup. Now, if I just had the rest of the A/C components that would really make the truck a lot more comfortable --especially here in hot, humid south Arkansas.

5/26/2014 11:22 AM  #11

ultrastang wrote:

While my shop isn't fancy, it does have a roof, 4 walls with a hard concrete floor that keeps my vehicles out of the weather and gives me a place to work on them and for that I'm thankful.

That right there speaks volumes about you ultrastang. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/26/2014 11:49 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

X-2!!
I feel the "split I Beam" was one of FoMoCo's worstest ideas....disc brakes or not.
Butt-hay...snot my truck!
6sal6

The twin I beam came out in 1965 to replace the old straight front axle of the '64-earlier trucks.

In 1980, the twin I-beam continued on in the F-series trucks but the kingpins were replaced by ball joints. The twin I-beam was in use on the small Ranger 2WD pickups through 1997. The twin I beam (2WD trucks) and twin traction beam (4WD trucks) were used on various Ford F-series trucks all the way through 2002.

If you drove an old Ford pickup with twin I-Beams that was hard to hold in the road, it was likely due to component wear; worn or partially missing radius arm bushings, worn inner I-beam pivot bushings, worn king pins or saggy coil springs. If you keep these items in good shape the truck isn't hard to control.

King pins are far more durable than balljoints. Properly serviced (greased--like at every oil change) you could easily get a million miles out of them --assuming the vehicle would last that long. Balljoints would last about a tenth of that distance. Don't service/replace the balljoints and you'll be on the side of the road with 3 wheels still on the vehicle wishing you had serviced/replaced the balljoints sooner. If the king pins get worn, they just make the steering sloppy but the wheel isn't going to fall off.

I grew up driving a truck just like the one I have now so, I know what to expect from the way it handles and steers. But, as I said, if you keep some simple components on the front end in good repair, the twin I-beam drives and handles quite well.

5/26/2014 12:04 PM  #13

rpm wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

That right there speaks volumes about you ultrastang. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight.

I appreciate that.

Don't get me wrong, like most any other gearhead, I wouldn't mind having a blinged out shop with fancy paint on the walls, epoxy paint on the floor, etc. However, fancy, blinged out shops may be pleasing to the eye but, they have absolutely no bearing on the quality of work or craftsmanship being put into a particular vehicle. It's just a nicer looking place to be inside while working on that vehicle.

5/27/2014 10:19 AM  #14

ultrastang wrote:

If you drove an old Ford pickup with twin I-Beams that was hard to hold in the road, it was likely due to component wear; worn or partially missing radius arm bushings, worn inner I-beam pivot bushings, worn king pins or saggy coil springs. If you keep these items in good shape the truck isn't hard to control.

Agreed.  I've been driving my '91 F150 with twin I-beam suspension since I was 16 (I'm 33 now).  It is still my daily driver with 205,000 miles on it.  While it doesn't handle like a sports car, it handles just fine for a truck.

Last edited by Michael H. (5/27/2014 10:20 AM)

5/27/2014 5:29 PM  #15

When I did my stint in the oilfield in 1979, we had a brand new 3/4 ton Ford long bed pickup with twin I beams.  It had less than 100 miles on it when I had to run a hot-shot from Bryan to Dallas and back in the same day.  It was IMPOSSIBLE to hold that truck in a straight line.

My 67 shortbed F-100 with the 240 in it, twin I beams and drum brakes all around, would go down the road straight as an arrow, and I am SURE it had a lot of worn parts.  Go figure...

Anyway, ultra... You will LOVE having the disc brakes and tight kingpins on the truck after having lived with the drums for a while.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/27/2014 5:49 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

When I did my stint in the oilfield in 1979, we had a brand new 3/4 ton Ford long bed pickup with twin I beams.  It had less than 100 miles on it when I had to run a hot-shot from Bryan to Dallas and back in the same day.  It was IMPOSSIBLE to hold that truck in a straight line.

My 67 shortbed F-100 with the 240 in it, twin I beams and drum brakes all around, would go down the road straight as an arrow, and I am SURE it had a lot of worn parts.  Go figure...

Anyway, ultra... You will LOVE having the disc brakes and tight kingpins on the truck after having lived with the drums for a while.

My dad's '68 Ranger (upgraded to '70 interior/exterior Ranger trim) with a 360 big-block, 3-on-the-tree, power nothing (but did have A/C) wasn't really hard to hold between the lines. My truck (currently) can be a handful but, I suspect nothing has ever been replaced on the suspension and the bushings are heavily worn.

With my dad's truck, it didn't matter if is was pulling a load, wasn't pulling load, going up hill or going down hill, it was still only going to get about 10 MPG. Even so, I really hate he sold that truck in 1988. I sure would like to have it now.

Last edited by ultrastang (5/27/2014 5:50 PM)

5/27/2014 6:51 PM  #17

We did the later model disc swap on my son's 72.  Between the discs and the new king pins and  bushings, it made a great deal of improvement.  

5/27/2014 7:35 PM  #18

JamesW wrote:

We did the later model disc swap on my son's 72.  Between the discs and the new king pins and  bushings, it made a great deal of improvement.  

Looks like a nice truck. Are the wheel spacers configured for a 5-on-5.5" to a 5-on-4.5" lug pattern and do you have any more photos of the truck? I would like to see more of the F100.

5/27/2014 8:47 PM  #19

The spacers were 5x4.5... with the plan to put 17" bullet wheels.  We bought larger size tires and the truck never looked right, so we removed the wheels and spacers and went back to the more standard look.

Don't have a website, but just a directory of a ton of photos we took over about a 3 year period....

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/AJ/

Last edited by JamesW (5/27/2014 8:54 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.