FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2014 11:36 AM  #1

Some questions on Air/Fuel gauge sensors

Will this work on Classic cars set up with Carbs?
Should this be a permanent installation or just something you use to set your jets on Carb then remove?
Wide band versus narrowband?
Any good or bad models to buy/avoid?
Is there a handheld model to use for temp use?

When I had my exhaust installed a couple weeks ago I had the guy install a O2 sensor bung and threaded cap. He put it in at no cost.

9/08/2014 3:36 PM  #2

Re: Some questions on Air/Fuel gauge sensors

I have an O-2 sensor in each header that feeds a DPDT mini switch on the pillar pod connected to a wide ratio Autometer AFR. That way I can monitor each cylinder bank on my carbed engine.

Last edited by Rudi (9/08/2014 3:39 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/08/2014 5:10 PM  #3

Mochaman wrote:

Should this be a permanent installation or just something you use to set your jets on Carb then remove?

When I had my exhaust installed a couple weeks ago I had the guy install a O2 sensor bung and threaded cap. He put it in at no cost.

I would say even more useful on ah carbureted car then EFI. The EFI will control it's self, and there's little you can do about it. Where as it's up to you to calibrate the carb. I've also heard of guy's using pyrometers to measure exhuast temps back in the day, although I have no idea why that could be useful. I'll look into it though.

Last edited by Derek (9/08/2014 5:11 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

9/08/2014 5:34 PM  #4

Absolutely yes.

You could, but most leave it permanently.

Wide is the only one to use

I like Innovate, I've used a ton. FJO is solid too.

I haven't seen a kit like that, but I would imagine someone makes one. But the sensor goes in the exhaust, unless you mean the gauge, generally that needs power, ground, etc. Some of the kits have data logging from the controller so you could consider a laptop handheld You could wire everything up, tune and then take it out of you wanted to. But next time you tune you'd have to hook it all back up, bleh.

Last edited by Raymond_B (9/08/2014 5:40 PM)

9/08/2014 5:37 PM  #5

Derek wrote:

I would say even more useful on ah carbureted car then EFI. The EFI will control it's self, and there's little you can do about it. Where as it's up to you to calibrate the carb. I've also heard of guy's using pyrometers to measure exhuast temps back in the day, although I have no idea why that could be useful. I'll look into it though.

People tune all the time with EGT's, especially race cars. They mount the probes in the headers right by the exhaust port and use one per cylinder. You have to make a hole in the header for each probe. For most street cars that's not practical so folks use WB's way more.

9/08/2014 9:01 PM  #6

Well that is cool. Glad I had the bung welded into the Xpipe. Will start looking at some set ups. I like the Pillar picture Rudi posted. I have have to throw a small Tach into something like that.

9/09/2014 8:02 AM  #7

Most racers (including me) use the exhaust gas temp because we love Tetra Eythl Lead in in our gasoline! And that stuff ruins the O2 sensors.

9/09/2014 8:12 AM  #8

Always learning something new on here!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

9/09/2014 1:13 PM  #9

9/09/2014 3:01 PM  #10

I have one on the swap meet page if interested. Let me know

9/09/2014 7:09 PM  #11

Have always used the exhaust gas temp on dyno and in car to get really close and then plug cuts to push the limit. If I am really close to where I want ot be, but need a little more, I will run a plug cut at the end of qualifying to determine if I can lean it a little more. I use a magnifying glass and look at the root of the plug where the insulator meets the body. If it is blackish, I can lean it out. If it is brownish I can lean it out. If it looks like white paint down there you are perfect, but there is a little more. If there are pepper tracks like little dark spots on the white, you are now perfect and on the edge!

OBTW the gas temps at this point are usually between 1200 to 1400 degrees F about an inch from the header flange in the header tube. Remember this is a race car at wide open throttle and near red line.

Last edited by DC (9/09/2014 7:11 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.