FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2014 2:21 PM  #1

Engine won't run on HO firing order

Ia m trying to help out my son who is in the Navy by getting his 1989 Mustang LX Fox body finished. We tried to fire the engine on the HO firing order but it won't fire. Engine has a F303 cam in it with GT 40 upper & lower manifolds, cold air intake, 65mm throttle body24# injectors, MAF sensor calibbrated to 24#s, E7TE heads with stock valves, long tube headers with cat delete, Bama chip to run on 89 octane. ECM was missing and repalced with a A3M1. Will fire on the non HO firing order but runs like crap. Ford racing states that cam has to have the HO firing order to run. Anyone got an idea as to why it will not fire on the HO order?

9/26/2014 4:18 PM  #2

Re: Engine won't run on HO firing order

be sure you know which piston is #1. Ford numbers their engines differently than Chevy or Chrysler. #1 is the right front. Then the others on the right side are 2-3-4. The drivers side are 5-6-7-8. Start with #1 and follow the firing order for a 5.0 HO, putting each wire on 1 at a time. Also the dist rotation counter-clockwise. See this pic:

http://i.imgur.com/1tTQp.jpg 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

9/26/2014 8:46 PM  #3

Did you verify you were at TDC on the compression stroke when you installed the cam and timing set and distributor?

If piston at TDC on cmp stroke, rotor pointing near the #1 dist terminal, balancer near TDC mark and plug wires routed like in the post above, it should fire off.  I always find TDC, then rotate the crank so the timing pointer is lined up at about the 12* mark, and then stab the distributor so the rotor is pointing directly at the #1 terminal.  never had it fail me yet.

Have you checked to see if there is spark?

9/26/2014 11:42 PM  #4

connect your timing lite to number one and check timing while someone turns the engine over with the starter and set it 10 deg btdc.

if you hgave a ford computer distributor, unplug the spout connector then check timing. if you do not do this it will run like c__p if it runs at all.

Last edited by barnett468 (9/26/2014 11:44 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.