FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2015 7:45 PM  #1

'66 doors pop open

Got another here. I've done all kinds of research and worn the heck out of my hands trying to figure this out. I put new door handles on my '66 stang and they pop open slightly when closed. I know it's not the latch spring wearing out becuase one side's latch is new and the other side closed fine before installing the new handels. I greased them, put new rods in and looked at the alignment of the striker bolt and the latch and all looks kosher. Any help is appreciated.

All throttle no bottle

2/05/2015 8:22 PM  #2

Re: '66 doors pop open

Lock isn't fully closing on the stud.  I'd try lubing it first and then, If that doesn't work then the stud maybe needs to be adjusted

2/05/2015 8:30 PM  #3

I am in the process of removing the striker bolt but thing is seized up. Regardless I don't see how to adjust it. Do I have to tap new screw holes?

All throttle no bottle

2/05/2015 9:10 PM  #4

To remove it if you have nice paint don't do this! Use a torch map gas works great or oxyacetylene works if you have it.  If you have map gas have a thing of pb or other fav lube and a wet towel ready. Load up that bolt with heat till red hot then quench it with water and then use the pb.  It will brake that bolt loose if done correctly.  If you have an oxyacetylene torch then probably use an 0 or 1 tip I would probably use a neutral flame and then use the same method. 

If you don't have a torch id use pb or ultralube. I don't care for wd40. It works good to and soak the bolts for a few days and then if you plan on keeping them use a rag and vise grips to remove them.  Or try to lol.   Then if you choose to keep the bolts after cleaning up threads with a wire brush.  You should be good.  I would try lubing the lock clasp.

2/05/2015 9:44 PM  #5

Use an impact driver on the striker bolt screws......wack it with a hammer to loosen the screws.....eat a can of spinach if necessary........

2/05/2015 10:40 PM  #6

That would work.  My strikers were a pain in the a**

2/05/2015 10:53 PM  #7

If it was fine before the new handle, unlatch the operating rod and check that it stays closed.
If so it is not the striker bolt. Then it would be a case of the operating rod being partially activated at rest.
Easy check, and you get to save your paint.

Last edited by 50vert (2/05/2015 10:54 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/06/2015 10:50 AM  #8

also check to see of you're door around the lock's screws are not cracked mine was like this and had is not line up all the way would have it pop open or not latch at all.

Last edited by Xargon321 (2/06/2015 10:51 AM)

2/06/2015 1:03 PM  #9

Are you saying it does not latch at all and pops back when you try to close it?

If so, take a screwdriver and manually open the catch mechanism fully by prying the inner fingers apart.  If that got tripped while fiddling with the lock, it will never catch.  But, by opening the latch up, it will let it get bach synchronized so it will catch the dtrike post when you close it.  You do not have to take anything apart to try this.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/06/2015 8:34 PM  #10

Push door release button when prying the inner fingers apart!
Howard

2/07/2015 4:53 PM  #11

50vert wrote:

If it was fine before the new handle, unlatch the operating rod and check that it stays closed.
If so it is not the striker bolt. Then it would be a case of the operating rod being partially activated at rest.

Ok I pulled the rod while the teeth on the latch are closed and the lock clicks open. I'm confused. What does this indicate exactly?

All throttle no bottle

2/07/2015 6:32 PM  #12

Be sure that what you think is OPEN is not actually LATCHED.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/07/2015 10:56 PM  #13

dwalker2 wrote:

50vert wrote:

Ok I pulled the rod while the teeth on the latch are closed and the lock clicks open. I'm confused. What does this indicate exactly?

Unclip the rod from the handle you replaced, make sure the latch is open, close the door.
Does the door pop open?
If not, with the door still closed, hold the operating rod close to where it needs to be to reconnect to the handle.
Does it line up with the holes without having to pull or push on the rod?
If you have to pull or push on the rod to make the connection, the rod is either too short or too long, and is doing the equivalent of holding the button in halfway while trying to close the door.
Outside handle or inside handle? Either one it will be easy to work out whether it is too long or too short

2/08/2015 5:01 PM  #14

50vert wrote:

dwalker2 wrote:

50vert wrote:

Unclip the rod from the handle you replaced, make sure the latch is open, close the door.
Does the door pop open?
If not, with the door still closed, hold the operating rod close to where it needs to be to reconnect to the handle.
Does it line up with the holes without having to pull or push on the rod?
If you have to pull or push on the rod to make the connection, the rod is either too short or too long, and is doing the equivalent of holding the button in halfway while trying to close the door.
Outside handle or inside handle? Either one it will be easy to work out whether it is too long or too short

The outside door handle rod, when I remove it from the latch and go to close the doors they stay closed. I then lined up the rod (while door closed) and I have to lift on the rod slightly (about 1/2") and it pops backs in. When I go to try to close again the same thing happens. The door doesn't close all the way. Looks like I need to shorten the rod??

All throttle no bottle

2/09/2015 6:49 PM  #15

Adjust the bends in the rod to shorten or lengthen.

2/15/2015 8:51 AM  #16

50vert wrote:

Adjust the bends in the rod to shorten or lengthen.

Got it! I straightened out the rod an extra 1/4" and all is good. Never would have thought this was the issue. Thanks very much guys! Very pleased this got worked out.

All throttle no bottle

2/15/2015 10:36 AM  #17

Glad you got it worked out, probably don't need a door popping open on an interstate.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.