FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2015 4:22 PM  #1

emergency brake cable install

can someone send a picture or tell me how the upper emer. brake cable mounts in the equalizer lever under the trans x-member?  I see how the cable goes through the end of the equalizer, but I don't know or where the ball on the end of the cable goes.  Thanks  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

2/24/2015 4:24 PM  #2

Re: emergency brake cable install

retired 65 wrote:

can someone send a picture or tell me how the upper emer. brake cable mounts in the equalizer lever under the trans x-member?  I see how the cable goes through the end of the equalizer, but I don't know or where the ball on the end of the cable goes.  Thanks  Jerry

the cable from the e brake handle has a ball on it . . it goes in the end of the arm.

Last edited by barnett468 (2/24/2015 4:26 PM)

2/24/2015 5:51 PM  #3

Barrett, where did you get that e-brake pic?  Looks just like the one I just modified for more leverage with the 'Sploder brakes.  I guess I'm not the first one to think of doing that.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/24/2015 6:04 PM  #4

i shamelessly plagarized it from an aussie site i am on, lol.

any idea why it is welded?

2/24/2015 9:37 PM  #5

barnett468 wrote:

retired 65 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I see now where I was going wrong.  I was sliding the cable clear down to the end of the equalizer and the ball kept wanting to pull through the lever.  Jerry
the cable from the e brake handle has a ball on it . . it goes in the end of the arm.

2/24/2015 10:56 PM  #6

no prob . . glad it helped.

now...do you have this spring?

2/25/2015 9:02 AM  #7

barnett468 wrote:

Well, as I said, I added two inches to mine (p-brake lever bar) to get more leverage.  The Explorer p-brakes weren't happy with the stock pull-handle affair so I got 30% more leverage and now it locks up pretty well.

I'm thinking of some kind of compound leverage affair to make it even better but that will have to be a "winter" project some year.  May have to think about one of those electric p-brake actuators.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/25/2015 4:59 PM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

barnett468 wrote:

Well, as I said, I added two inches to mine (p-brake lever bar) to get more leverage.  The Explorer p-brakes weren't happy with the stock pull-handle affair so I got 30% more leverage and now it locks up pretty well.

I'm thinking of some kind of compound leverage affair to make it even better but that will have to be a "winter" project some year.  May have to think about one of those electric p-brake actuators.

BB

I'm working on a 50 buck solution for an electric e-brake actuator to compensate for the original pull out from under the dash. The EPAS neccessitates its removal or PITA relocation.
 I'll post some more on this when I get the prioritized  "honey doo's" done

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/25/2015 10:05 PM  #9

barnett468 wrote:

now...do you have this spring?Yes, I have the spring.  Does the other end of that spring hook into the hole closest to the passenger side of the car on the equalizer bar,  or in the hole that is closest to the drivers side of the car?
Thanks for the info.

2/25/2015 10:36 PM  #10

retired 65 wrote:

barnett468 wrote:

now...do you have this spring?Yes, I have the spring.  Does the other end of that spring hook into the hole closest to the passenger side of the car on the equalizer bar,  or in the hole that is closest to the drivers side of the car?
Thanks for the info.

I thought I was picky about the underside of my car, but I didn't go for the two tone.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.