FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2015 9:49 PM  #1

4R70W swap cross member question

'66 mustang. If the engine and trans were moved forward 7/8" with adjustable motor mounts, would the original C4 crossmember (and drive shaft) fit properly?
I'm not concerned with radiator clearance with a '95 5.0 with short water pump.

4/26/2015 10:33 PM  #2

Re: 4R70W swap cross member question

I guess that would depend on how elongated your trans mount holes are, how much you can stretch them further if needed, and how long your drive shaft is.  I'm probably not telling you anything you haven't already thought of, sorry.  I take it the trans is out of the car?  Long way about it is to do test fitting, I suppose.  Im guessing the engine move just gave you some more room to work with in the trans tunnel.  That new trans is a tight squeeze.     

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/26/2015 11:50 PM  #3

This is a picture of the mount I used in my 68 for the 4R70W install. As you can see it bolts up to the back side of the circumferential rib used to mount the transmission. I reused the C4 mount isolator as it bolted right up to the tailshaft housing of the transmission. I bolted the trans up to a 351W. I used a shortened 1998 Explorer 2wd aluminum driveshaft. Your 66 may be different as I know you have a bracket for the e-brake as part of your old C4 crossmember. This is just an FYI in case it might be something you could adapt or use. ( just re-read you PM to me you sent a while back - that mount in the picture is one of Joe Persad's mounts....)

Last edited by Ron68 (4/26/2015 11:56 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/27/2015 2:13 AM  #4

Yes, just looking for good fit w/o a new custom cross member and keep stock DS. I know it'll be a chore either way, but I just gotsta get to Dallas, an I already have the Ron Morris mounts, and all the Baumann swap stuff.
Thanks

4/27/2015 7:32 AM  #5

Moving the engine forward 7/8 is not a solution,, Cos a 4R70W is 2" longer than a C-4. DS will need to be shortened. I used a SWB Exploder 2door's aluminum DS and had it altered on one end. Works great
There ae 4R70W mounts made, and I think a T-5 mount might work. IF you ccan find one to test fit.

Corky

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/27/2015 5:14 PM  #6

On my 95 5.0 AODE swap, the short pump allowed me to use the 95 electric fan .... just. Its bout 5 1/2" thick.
The 1 ECU controls fan, engine and gearbox.
I used the factory c4 crossmember. I cut out the factory floor support that it mounts to, welded in a new 1 in the correct location. An added benefit of this is more exhaust clearance. Can get the exhaust level with the sump of the AODE.
On a 4R70W, I would change the sump and filter to an AODE sump and filter for extra clearance.

Last edited by 50vert (4/27/2015 5:32 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.