FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2015 9:48 PM  #1

My Duraspark setup

I decided to pick up a Duraspark setup from the salvage yard and here's how I wired it into my harness.  I used MS's Duraspark conversion.  My battery is relocated to the trunk, so I mounted the Duraspark II module where the battery originally was (near a vented area):

Here's a pic of the roughed out Duraspark harness.  Note that the red w/ blue stripe wire from the original ignition/blower harness is run alongside this harness when it's installed in the car:

And here's a pic of the ignition/blowerharness coming out of the firewall.  Note the red wire that goes to the ignition switch is run alongside that harness:

Here's a pic of the red wire going thru the firewall, just above the plug for the ignition/blower harness, on ts way to the ignition switch:

And here's where the red wire connects to the switch:

This above pic was the part that wasn't clear to me from MS's diagram.  To bypass the pink resister wire, I removed the instrument cluster to get at where the wire from the switch connects to the pink wire.  My 65 has the early instrument cluster so the pink wire connects a few inches from the ignition switch.  From looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like in the later instrument clusters that connection is after one of the gages.  I used a solder bullet connector that is 0.180" in diameter to connect to the female bullet connector on the red w/ green stripe wire.  I used these male bullet connectors.  Commonly available crimp on bullet connectors are too small:

I rewapped the original ignition/blower harness and the new Duraspark harness using 1" non-adhesive tape.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/04/2015 7:09 AM  #2

Re: My Duraspark setup

Since I'm in the middle of rewiring the whole car, I am thinking of doing this conversion. The problem is that currently I am running a stock distributor that I had the advance re curved for my motor. It also has the pertronics 2 and runs well as far as I'm concerned. Can I transfer the guts from a dura spark to my current distributor? Or do I need to switch out the whole thing?

6/04/2015 8:34 AM  #3

I knew someone had to make properly sized bullet connectors.  I've opened up the crimp on ones to get a tigth fit, removed the plastic from the crimp part, soldered the wire in and filled the hollow end with solder and shrink wrapped the other end to get a proper fit.  This is a much better solution that will save a lot of time.  Thanks for posting that info!

6/04/2015 12:53 PM  #4

GP 350 wrote:

Since I'm in the middle of rewiring the whole car, I am thinking of doing this conversion. The problem is that currently I am running a stock distributor that I had the advance re curved for my motor. It also has the pertronics 2 and runs well as far as I'm concerned. Can I transfer the guts from a dura spark to my current distributor? Or do I need to switch out the whole thing?

I think they are very similar from the centrifical advance down, so I think that can be done.  It might be easier to just transfer the Duraspark trigger over to your old distributor, but I'm not positive that can be done.  Others more knowledgable in these differences pls chime in.

6/04/2015 11:19 PM  #5

That's what I mean, can I just transfer the trigger so I don't have to Mess with timing and advance?

6/05/2015 9:06 AM  #6

The Ford dist are the same from the advance up. In fact the duraspark from any Ford dist can be transfered.

66 coupe, Now a 11 year garage ornament.

6/06/2015 5:29 AM  #7

GP 350 wrote:

Just wondering why change to Dura Spark if you already have electronic ignition. I don't think there is any gain unless you just want to keep it all Ford.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/06/2015 7:38 AM  #8

Just thinking it through while I'm at it, I'm not sure that I will though. I like the idea of being able to get the parts easily, and I was wondering if it might be a better set up with some small gains?

6/06/2015 8:23 AM  #9

GP 350 wrote:

Just thinking it through while I'm at it, I'm not sure that I will though. I like the idea of being able to get the parts easily, and I was wondering if it might be a better set up with some small gains?

I don't have any experience w/ it yet since my car isn't a runner yet, so hopefully others will chime in.  From what I've read, the Duraspark system works well, at least under 6000 rpms.  My goal was as you noted - having a setup that can be easily repaired w/ a trip to any parts store.  The other thing I like about it is that the pickup is just a trigger so if it does turn out that it has issues above 6000 rpms, I can easily replace the module with something else.

6/06/2015 8:35 AM  #10

On my 65 289 the Duraspark gave better idle and easier start than pertronics...And using small dist cap too.
Just Sayin
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (6/06/2015 8:35 AM)

6/06/2015 3:19 PM  #11

jkordzi wrote:

GP 350 wrote:

I don't have any experience w/ it yet since my car isn't a runner yet, so hopefully others will chime in.  From what I've read, the Duraspark system works well, at least under 6000 rpms.  My goal was as you noted - having a setup that can be easily repaired w/ a trip to any parts store.  The other thing I like about it is that the pickup is just a trigger so if it does turn out that it has issues above 6000 rpms, I can easily replace the module with something else.

I was just wondering why change. I went with the Dura Spark for the same reason you guys stated. Ease to get parts. I figured I could keep a spare box on hand for about $30. Cheer than a spare Pentronix for $80.

hmartin, did you do yours with or with out the resister wire?

6/07/2015 7:44 AM  #12

hmartin025 wrote:

On my 65 289 the Duraspark gave better idle and easier start than pertronics...And using small dist cap too.
Just Sayin
Howard

Do you notice any performance issues like breaking up at higher rpms?

6/07/2015 8:03 AM  #13

jkordzi wrote:

hmartin025 wrote:

Just Sayin
Howard

Do you notice any performance issues like breaking up at higher rpms?

No I haven’t! However doubt it’s been over 4500 revs! Mostly drive conservatively. Have to challenge a ricer occasionally?

8/10/2015 4:12 PM  #14

I have a 67 Mustang, just did the Duraspark up grade. I cut the pink wire fron the switch to about 3 inches and solderes my red wire to it. With the white wire connected to  starter relay terminal "S" The car starts in the run prosition and the started stays ingauged. Did I wire it wrong. Thanks for your help.

8/10/2015 6:46 PM  #15

Little Chevy sounds to me you got the what you have connected with the pink resister wire crossed with the wire going to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid.this would make the car start and run when the key is in the 'run' position.

8/10/2015 9:02 PM  #16

The pink resister is cut short and I ran a red wire from it to the postive side of the coil

8/11/2015 4:49 AM  #17

Ok, you cut the pink wire short and connected a red wire to it. You connected the red wire near the ignition switch, not the fire wall, and ran it to the + side of the coil. Now this red is wire something you added correct, it's not some existing wire on the car you connected to. (Sorry I have to ask these questions to make sure were all on the same page) Now there is a brown wire on the small right hand terminal on the solenoid. This brown wire can be disconnected and taped up, it is not needed because you cut out most of your pink resister wire. If by any chance this brown wire is connected to the small left hand terminal that’s your problem. Now the small left hand terminal on the solenoid should have a RED/blue wire connected to it and you connected the white wire to it. If all this is correct I would try removing the white wire from the solenoid and see if that make a difference. It is just used to retard the timing at start, just a thought it may be getting shorted out somewhere. All these solenoid connections are based on your solenoid being right side up. LOL

8/11/2015 7:42 PM  #18

I connected the red ( wire I added ) near the ingition switch, the brown wire is gone ( cut out of the harnes ), the left terminal has a red/blue wire connected to it and the white wire from the duraspark connectered on the "S" terminal and the solenoid is right side up. Car starts fine with while wire disconnected. Just wondering if I wired it right?

8/11/2015 8:00 PM  #19

Sounds to me you got it all wired right, if the starter is staying engauged maybe the solenoid is sticking.

8/11/2015 8:57 PM  #20

Littlechevy1955 wrote:

I connected the red ( wire I added ) near the ingition switch, the brown wire is gone ( cut out of the harnes ), the left terminal has a red/blue wire connected to it and the white wire from the duraspark connectered on the "S" terminal and the solenoid is right side up. Car starts fine with while wire disconnected. Just wondering if I wired it right?

The white wire retards the ignition during starting.  Once the engine is running, it doesn't have any effect.  Check out MS's Duraspark wiring diagram.  That's what I followed.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.