FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2016 6:32 PM  #1


Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

So I'm deep into body work on my 65 FB and have arrived at the tail light panel.  Is it supposed to be perfectly flat from outside edge (extensions off) to outside edge, or is it supposed to dip in slightly at the gas filler?  Thanks.


Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two
 

1/09/2016 7:07 PM  #2


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

It’s supposed to “curve” toward the gas filler area......

 

1/09/2016 7:51 PM  #3


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

1/09/2016 9:10 PM  #4


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

I have been following Jo Daddy Garage on Youtube. He is doing very similar sheet metal work that I am going to do. This is his video where he shows differences between the Ford Tooling and Tiawan sheet metal fitment where the tail panel is concerned. This slight curve is discussed in this video and how important it is. He has some really good info on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbklLc_zuXE



 

 

1/09/2016 11:12 PM  #5


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

Mochaman wrote:

I have been following Jo Daddy Garage on Youtube. He is doing very similar sheet metal work that I am going to do. This is his video where he shows differences between the Ford Tooling and Tiawan sheet metal fitment where the tail panel is concerned. This slight curve is discussed in this video and how important it is. He has some really good info on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbklLc_zuXE
Well I'm a little confused.  Josh says it's supposed to be curved.  The guy in the Jo Daddy video say at 4:45 that the (initial) panel is supposed to be straight and it was straight but that he started to curve it inward to match the trunk lid.  I did verify that my trunk lid is slightly curved inward to the center. 



 

 


Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two
     •Thread Starter
 

1/09/2016 11:13 PM  #6


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

Thanks, but I'm not replacing the tail light panel - just having to work it a bit and wanted to verify that it is supposed to curve inward about 1/8" at the filler neck opening.
 


Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two
     •Thread Starter
 

1/10/2016 2:20 PM  #7


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

Don't believe everything you see.  The deck lid, taillight panel and the rear bumper on 65-66 all had the same curve from the factory.  If you install one of them with a straight piece, you might as well replace all three so it doesn't show.  If you want it "right", then they all need to have the curve in them.

All replacement decklids are straight.  The Chinese taillight panels I have seen are straight (I used an NOS Ford one with the curve that I found for only $225) and all replacement bumpers are straight.

I have reworked a couple of taillight panels that had dents in them and it is really tough to get them right where they don't "oil can" on you.  It is a lot easier to replace it with a new one than it is to fix dents.  Problem is getting a curved one,

It is more like 3/8" to 1/2" than 1/8".


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

1/10/2016 9:55 PM  #8


Re: Question on tail light panel alignment on a 65 FB

MustangSteve wrote:

Don't believe everything you see.  The deck lid, taillight panel and the rear bumper on 65-66 all had the same curve from the factory.  If you install one of them with a straight piece, you might as well replace all three so it doesn't show.  If you want it "right", then they all need to have the curve in them.

All replacement decklids are straight.  The Chinese taillight panels I have seen are straight (I used an NOS Ford one with the curve that I found for only $225) and all replacement bumpers are straight.

I have reworked a couple of taillight panels that had dents in them and it is really tough to get them right where they don't "oil can" on you.  It is a lot easier to replace it with a new one than it is to fix dents.  Problem is getting a curved one,

It is more like 3/8" to 1/2" than 1/8".

Thanks.  I'm feeling a lot better now.  My deck lid overhang, taillight panel, and bumper are all curved inward.  The left side had a few minor issues, but now all is well.   Luckily I was able to work it out w/out the oil canning.  I remeasured the tail light panel and now with a straight edge across, there's about a 3/8"+ gap at the filler neck entry.  The trunk lid closes with a nice even gap to the tail light panel all the way across.
 


Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two
     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.