FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2013 11:12 AM  #1

Back on the ground!

Finally wrangled all the WYAITs on what started out as a simple front suspension upgrade.

Completed:

Install of Street or Track LCA Coilover front end.
Install of 2012 GT brakes front & rear w/MS brackets.
Install of MS pedal support, Power Booster and cable clutch parts.
All new brake lines & MC.
Rolled inner fender lips front & back.
Buncha wiring repairs and other stuff under the dash and elsewhere while I was in there.
Full rehab/repaint of the dash.

Still need to get the hood back on and dial in the final alignment for some longer drives but after initial 5-10 mile blasts around town I'm very happy with the coilovers, far more compliant than the previous stock (rebuilt) frontend with GT springs (3/4 of coil cut). SOT offers three levels of valving for the Bilsteins including 'Street', 'Sport' and 'Track' - I'm running the 'Sport' and the ride is surprisingly smooth over crappy tarmac. Car goes where it's pointed very well.

Next up: New motor & tranny!

(Pinto!)

6/05/2013 11:18 AM  #2

Re: Back on the ground!

good job............really looks nice......

6/05/2013 12:32 PM  #3

Were there any issues mounting the rear calipers in front of the axle like that?  What did you do for e-brake cables?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/05/2013 2:39 PM  #4

Looks really good 👍👍

6/05/2013 4:59 PM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

Were there any issues mounting the rear calipers in front of the axle like that?  What did you do for e-brake cables?

No issues with the mounting. I fiddled with them mounted both fore & aft and decided that I liked the way the e-brake cables worked out with them in front better. I'm using Ford replacment 2005-2010 cables which fit fine although I haven't installed them yet, just test fit.

The only issue I do have is the brake pedal travel - seems like a lot more than it should be, about 2-1/2" I'd say. Not sure what's going on. Pads are all snug at the rotors (I manually operated the parking brakes a few times on each side in the rear before bleeding to reset the pistons), MC was bench bled, pedal is firm at bottom of travel (brakes don't 'pump up') and the car stops well. I haven't had a chance to get all four wheels in the air with an assistant to look closely at what's happening at the wheels throughout the range of pedal travel. Seems like the brakes start engaging properly at the top of travel but a little hard to tell, I'm getting quite a bit of boost with a solid 21" of engine vacuum. One thing I noticed though is that the engine speed surges sligthly when I step on or release the pedal, like a momentary vacuum leak. Kinda stumped at the moment.

(Pinto!)

6/05/2013 5:01 PM  #6

josh-kebob wrote:

good job............really looks nice......

65svt wrote:

Looks really good 👍👍

Thanks. Took too long with life stuff, eager to put some miles on it!

(Pinto!)

6/06/2013 6:03 AM  #7

Very sweet, I like the black rims with black car and the stance looks great.  Nice job    Mike

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/08/2013 5:38 PM  #8

Are those the 13.2" or the 12.5" fronts?  Are the front wheels 8" wide?  Do they rub?

6/10/2013 12:26 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Are those the 13.2" or the 12.5" fronts?  Are the front wheels 8" wide?  Do they rub?

13.2" in front w/ 17x8 TT M, 4.5" BS. No rubbing but I rolled fenders. It's possible that they would be OK without having rolled the fenders but might be tight. A 4.75" BS would be perfect but that's a custom wheel unfortunately - $$.

(Pinto!)

6/11/2013 2:23 PM  #10

What did you use to roll the fender lips without messing up the paint? I'd really like to do this on the Mach,

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

6/11/2013 3:11 PM  #11

I forgot to say earlier that I think that is an awesome looking car.  Nice job.

6/11/2013 4:16 PM  #12

Mach1_Ron wrote:

What did you use to roll the fender lips without messing up the paint? I'd really like to do this on the Mach,

Eastwood fender roller and a heat gun. Had to cut into the lip on the rears at a right angle from the side of the car with a cutoff wheel to 'section' the lip in order to get it to go. Metal is doubled up back there and it's tough to get it to budge otherwise. Heat gun is important to keep the paint from cracking - wish I'd been able to do it before the car was painted as it is kinda nerve wracking. Much patience required Grasshopper...

Bought the tool from Eastwood's Ebay store for $200. Will be attacking my buddies Falcon with it pretty soon.

(Pinto!)

6/11/2013 4:17 PM  #13

MustangSteve wrote:

I forgot to say earlier that I think that is an awesome looking car.  Nice job.

Thankeee! Now if I can figure out what my problem from post #5 is I'll be all set. Hope to suss that this weekend.

(Pinto!)

6/22/2013 6:42 AM  #14

Love the car and the build. I just ordered the same wheels after figuring out last night my current 17s do not fit on the front.... They will make their way to my f-1 truck build.... I will be calling eastwood to purchase the tool to roll the fenders for that added touch...

1951 Ford F-1//1965 Mustang Fastback 331/AOD//1968 Mustang Coupe//1989 Saleen Convertible

6/22/2013 6:49 AM  #15

What size tire?

1951 Ford F-1//1965 Mustang Fastback 331/AOD//1968 Mustang Coupe//1989 Saleen Convertible

6/22/2013 7:41 AM  #16

Nice looking car there.

6/22/2013 8:50 PM  #17

gt40racing wrote:

Love the car and the build. I just ordered the same wheels after figuring out last night my current 17s do not fit on the front.... They will make their way to my f-1 truck build.... I will be calling eastwood to purchase the tool to roll the fenders for that added touch...

The tool is cheaper, for whatever reason, from their ebay store. Worked great.

(Pinto!)

6/22/2013 8:53 PM  #18

gt40racing wrote:

What size tire?

245/45/17. The TT M will clear just about any brake setup I think, the right backspacing for these older cars but the spokes are moved out towards the outside more than most classic 'hot rod' wheels.

(Pinto!)

6/22/2013 9:23 PM  #19

Looks Great!  I have the same coilover system from Street or Track.  Let me know what you think of the drive?  Is that Street or Tracks shock tower braces?

6/24/2013 1:06 PM  #20

Steve69 wrote:

Looks Great!  I have the same coilover system from Street or Track.  Let me know what you think of the drive?  Is that Street or Tracks shock tower braces?

I installed the coilovers with the 'Sport' valved Bilsteins and I think the ride is better than I thought it might be, handles potholes and the like very well, a definite improvement over the stock setup with GT springs and standard Bilsteins with similar valving that I was running before. Not so much related to the coilovers but it's taking a little getting used to how responsively the car goes where pointed with the wheel/tire upgrade - I was running 15x7s with 205/60s before the swap - and I'm thinking about dialing back the steering pump pressure even a little more than I did when I first put in the Borgeson & Saginaw pump.

The shock tower brace is from Maier Racing. There are a couple of knock-offs out there that are less expensive including one with the front brace bolted in instead of welded but I like the integrity of the welded one-piece part better even if it is more of a pain when removal is required. Hope I don't have to do that too many more times...

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.