FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2013 9:14 PM  #1

The brake saga rolls on...........

Here's another "mindless...I wonder question". When installing the banjo bolts into the brake hoses to the calipers....Do I need to try and align the"hole" in the bolt with the hole in the brake hose fitting?
Also is it a good idea..to use teflon tape on the threads on the fittings? I THINK the flair fitting is suppose to seal everything up butt...wanna make sure.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/06/2013 9:19 PM  #2

Re: The brake saga rolls on...........

sal,
don't need anything on the threads......i've never worried about the bolt hole alignment, just put in in and tighten it down......

6/07/2013 12:36 AM  #3

josh-kebob wrote:

sal,
don't need anything on the threads......i've never worried about the bolt hole alignment, just put in in and tighten it down......

correct. the way those fittings are machined, there is a channel for the fluid to travel around & hit the holes. the copper washers do the sealing...

6/07/2013 1:14 AM  #4

Sal, you need a crush washer on each side of the banjo fitting - you can get crush washers at any auto parts store, they're usually copper but can be made out of other soft metals. You want a washer on both sides of the banjo fitting, so it would be a washer, banjo fitting, washer and then the bolt through all three pieces. The crush washers on either side of the banjo fitting, compressed by the bolt, make the seal - there is no flared seat involved in banjo fitting connections and Teflon tape will do you no good. As Steve S. noted you do not need to worry about lining up the hole in the bolt with anything. Take a close look at the banjo fitting and you'll see that it has a 360 degree groove internally that allows fluid that passes through the hose and into the fitting to get through the hole in the bolt, no matter how it's aligned, and into the caliper.

Last edited by McStang (6/07/2013 1:21 AM)

(Pinto!)

6/07/2013 8:29 AM  #5

McStang wrote:

Sal, you need a crush washer on each side of the banjo fitting - you can get crush washers at any auto parts store, they're usually copper but can be made out of other soft metals. You want a washer on both sides of the banjo fitting, so it would be a washer, banjo fitting, washer and then the bolt through all three pieces. The crush washers on either side of the banjo fitting, compressed by the bolt, make the seal - there is no flared seat involved in banjo fitting connections and Teflon tape will do you no good. As Steve S. noted you do not need to worry about lining up the hole in the bolt with anything. Take a close look at the banjo fitting and you'll see that it has a 360 degree groove internally that allows fluid that passes through the hose and into the fitting to get through the hole in the bolt, no matter how it's aligned, and into the caliper.

Ah...HAAAA! I need a copper washer on EACH side of the banjo!?! Did NOT know that.........butteye doo now!
6sl6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/07/2013 3:31 PM  #6

As already stated, the copper washers do the sealing.

You don't use teflon tape on brake fittings or banjo fittings. The only threads you would put teflon on would be NPT tapered pipe threads.

6/07/2013 9:01 PM  #7

ultrastang wrote:

As already stated, the copper washers do the sealing.

You don't use teflon tape on brake fittings or banjo fittings. The only threads you would put teflon on would be NPT tapered pipe threads.

I should have said 'teflon tape is not only not required but not a good idea' as having any of that stuff floating around inside the hydraulic system would only be bad.

You got those Chebby brakes workin' yet? I know you were asking about what color to paint the calipers a little bit ago and on further reflection I'm thinkin' 'INVISIBLE' would be the right color for those on the Pony.

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.