FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2016 3:09 PM  #1

I do not believe in SNAKE OIL, but...

You may recall I mentioned my rear main seal was leaking pretty bad when I got back from Colorado.  I put some REAR MAIN SEAL REPAIR liquid crapola into the crankcase and drove the car around for a couple of days.

I'll be darned, but the leak is GONE...  So, so far, this was a well spent $8 or whatever I paid for it.  Will give a longer term report after some time and miles pass by.  And I will get the brand name for anyone that wants it.

YOUR results may vary!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/01/2016 3:41 PM  #2

Re: I do not believe in SNAKE OIL, but...

The secret is the long term report.  Products like that typically do work.  They cause the seals to swell.  But what's the long term result of that?  It'll be interesting to hear. 

9/01/2016 3:48 PM  #3

Ill take the brand name!   Thanks

9/01/2016 5:55 PM  #4

OReilly's $14.99

9/01/2016 7:08 PM  #5

MS wrote:

OReilly's $14.99

Thanks!

9/01/2016 9:46 PM  #6

Had a Volvo 245 that I took on a trip to CO and developed a rear main seal leak.  I used something like you did and it worked as well.  Drove it for thousands of miles and the seal never leaked again.  Sometimes you just get lucky.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

9/01/2016 9:57 PM  #7

Ya know.........Blue Devil makes several "snake-oil" type products and my "sentence" I served at Pep Boys I sold several bottles of their stuff.
Guys absolutely swore-by-it! Rear Main Seal......Block Seal.......Head Gasket Sealer..I sold it all and NEVER a come back.
I actually used it on my daughter's Saturn. She ran it hot and the head gasket started leaking.  I put a bottle of the  Blue Devil Head Gasket seal in it and it worked!............................................
For a little over a year.  Then it started running hot again and puking water and smoking(white smoke) and losing power(big time). It even hydro-locked once when she parked it on a slope. Had to pull the plugs and let the water squirt out!!
I drove it to LKQ salvage and they paid  a hundred bucks(I think).
She took that money and money she had put aside that past year and bought a little  Faux-Cuss. That's what she has now.
 The stuff works though!(for a while)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/01/2016 10:35 PM  #8

How does each product know where it needs to seal? How do it know?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/02/2016 4:39 AM  #9

I suppose its a lot like taking an aspiran for a headache.   How does it know your head hurts but nothing else?
A 'shotgun' approach, I think.

9/02/2016 5:40 AM  #10

It doesn't know.  It simply gets mixed in with the oil and finds the place where the oil is leaking out. 

9/02/2016 6:35 AM  #11

its like Imodium   works just  don't ask  

9/02/2016 9:52 AM  #12

rpm wrote:

How does each product know where it needs to seal? How do it know?

I've read that they cause the rubber/neoprene seals to expand a bit, so if that's true, then all the seals are affected.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

9/02/2016 11:01 AM  #13

Don wrote:

its like Imodium   works just  don't ask  

LUV IT!!!!
Right on time Don!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/02/2016 1:37 PM  #14

It says it also seals timing cover seals, so whatever it touches gets affected.  Let's just hope it is in a good way.  Not like that opioid stuff.  I would like to be able to change the oil someday!

9/02/2016 8:33 PM  #15

Isn't that a newly rebuilt 427 MS? Odd that it would be leaking.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

9/03/2016 7:32 AM  #16

his engine should also have the one piece seal which typically works a whole lot better than the 2 piece seals

9/03/2016 8:28 AM  #17

I'm afraid that stuff will swell up and blow out all the rubber gaskets...pan/valve cover... hmmmm....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

9/03/2016 5:04 PM  #18

Not a newly rebuilt 427. It is a brand new Dart aluminum big bore block. No used or rebuilt parts. Keith Craft Racing built the short blocj for me. For some reason, they specifically do not warranty rear main seal leaks.

9/04/2016 5:56 AM  #19

Likely an issue common to aluminum blocks.  Remember they expand and contract a lot more than iron.

9/04/2016 5:00 PM  #20

MS - I had the same issue with the rebuilt engine in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. My son told me about the Blue Devil stuff, and I figured might as well try it because the next step is to drop the transmission. It took about two weeks, but the leak stopped! As was mentioned - we'll see what happens in the long term.....(fingers crossed).

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/04/2016 6:22 PM  #21

You better check that oil again. They say that if it ain't leaking it's cause there ain't no oil in it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/30/2017 7:53 PM  #22

MS wrote:

OReilly's $14.99

This link isn't working for me. Steve, is Blue Devil the brand name of the product? And have you had any I'll effects from using it? I see that the Blue Devil rear main seal product is the same $14.99 that you posted. Thanks.

Bob

Last edited by rpm (4/30/2017 8:01 PM)

4/30/2017 8:14 PM  #23

When installing any seal I always smear a little silicone sealer around or on the gasket as an added measure to try and confront those pesky leaks, I actually have assembled engines and ran a bead of silicone around the oil pan and timing covers and sealed them like caulking a bathtub.

5/01/2017 6:00 AM  #24

I took MS advice and used Blue Devil and it worked.... so far a 90% improvement.......jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/01/2017 9:25 AM  #25

Thanks Joe. I picked up a bottle, sure hope the magic continues.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.