FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2017 7:08 AM  #1

Inertia Switch Wiring

This is an inertia switch I'm using.  It's pulled from 90's explorers from what I understand.  

The two larger wires are pretty obvious...power in power out for the fuel pump power wire.
What's the little wire for?  Can I just not use this wire?

8/01/2017 7:30 AM  #2

Re: Inertia Switch Wiring

The ones I have wired have one wire from power, one wire to the fuel pump motor, and one wire to instrument cluster for a reset light.

8/01/2017 12:07 PM  #3

Yep, the third wire goes to a "Hey, I Tripped" light, location at your discretion.

8/01/2017 12:59 PM  #4

Hey thanks from me too, guys.  The one I used came from an 89 Linc TC....no idiot light.  Normally they trip when you are involved in something traumatic, like being rear-ended.  I guess back in 89 most people would relate one to the other.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/01/2017 2:19 PM  #5

Guys, don't run the power for your fuel pump through that. Use it to interrupt the fuel pump relay (ground trigger), or, in absence of a relay the ground side of the pump.

Here's how I am wiring up my Megasquirt in my Lightning using the Inertia switch.

Last edited by Raymond_B (8/01/2017 2:27 PM)

8/01/2017 2:29 PM  #6

Let me know if that image is not sized correctly, I can post a larger one, but I didn't want to explode everyone's screen with a giant pic

8/02/2017 6:14 AM  #7

Raymond_B wrote:

Let me know if that image is not sized correctly, I can post a larger one, but I didn't want to explode everyone's screen with a giant pic

The upload tiny pic thing wasn't working.  I had to use a link from my one drive.  I'll try and get fix it next time.

8/02/2017 6:22 AM  #8

I used one similar to what BB used.  It is mounted in the trunk on one of the trunk lid brackets and it is wired inline between the relay and the fuel pump, been that way for a couple years and no problems.  I dont need an idiot light telling me its tripped.  If its tripped the fuel pump wont run, if the fuel pump wont run neither will the engine!  If it cranks and wont start that's the first thing you check!

8/02/2017 3:42 PM  #9

TremendousWand wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

The upload tiny pic thing wasn't working.  I had to use a link from my one drive.  I'll try and get fix it next time.

Sorry! I didn't mean you. Reading that again I can see how it looks, but again I was only talking about me

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.