FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2017 12:14 AM  #1

Annoying transmission leak on 4R70W

I seem to have developed a leak in my 4R70W. The fluid is coming out of the forward yoke of the driveshaft. It is leaking by the splines in the output shaft and being flung out all over the bottom of my car. The yoke is one for a T5 and it is installed in an AOD tailshaft housing. There is no seal or plug in the yoke.  The rear seal is not leaking, just the yoke itself. I'm going to pull the driveshaft and seal the aft end of the yoke. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any input on a proper fix?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/18/2017 10:25 AM  #2

Re: Annoying transmission leak on 4R70W

I seem to recall that my AOD output shaft had and O-ring forward of the splines to keep the bulk of the oil from migrating to the inside of the yoke.  Can't recall if the yoke was sealed but I'm thinking it is.  There has to be some amount of oil that gets to the splines so without a plug in the yoke there's nothing to keep it where it belongs.

Post what you figure out 'cause I'll be doing a 4R70W swap one of these winters.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/18/2017 5:35 PM  #3

Thanks Bob. I'll let you know if my fix works.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/06/2018 8:05 AM  #4

Ron68, did you run into clearance issues with the 9 pin connector on the passenger side? I do not have enough space between the floor and trans to install the connector. And If I manage to tilt the trans to get the connector in I believe the top of the connector would be rubbing the floor pan. Running a 351W with 4R70W in a 69 Mach 1

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.