FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2017 9:24 AM  #1

Started my low Passanger side A/C compresser mounting on my 65

I have never liked having an A/C pump on top of the motor blocking the view of the motor on any car.
So its time to up grade the A/C on my 65 mustang with Vintage Air and my plan to find a better place for the A/C pump. Here is what I have come up with so far.

Last edited by mxjeffb (1/10/2018 8:46 AM)

12/29/2017 9:31 AM  #2

Re: Started my low Passanger side A/C compresser mounting on my 65

A Hakken big thumbs up on that piece. Get that thing dressed and chromed  and it will be a show stopper!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/29/2017 10:08 AM  #3

Looks good , I want to do the same thing

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

12/29/2017 2:34 PM  #4

Nice job! I have two questions that are not evident in your photos. First, what do you have planned for a tensioner on the AC compressor? Lastly, In one picture, you show the heater hose cut and plugged. Does this installation require that you abandon the heater or will the hose clear the compressor?

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

12/29/2017 2:54 PM  #5

rhutt wrote:

Nice job! I have two questions that are not evident in your photos. First, what do you have planned for a tensioner on the AC compressor? Lastly, In one picture, you show the heater hose cut and plugged. Does this installation require that you abandon the heater or will the hose clear the compressor?

The heater is just cut off because I'm making two 1/2" SS hard line tubes to run over the intake instead of black rubber hose.  The tensioner will be coming off the front of the water pump pushing up and out on the A/C pump with adjustment just like the alternator adjuster bracket.  I want to do something some what custom with the bracket because I want to mill off the top mounts off of the A/C pump for a cleaner look.

12/29/2017 4:21 PM  #6

The hard lines for the heater sounds great! I was assuming that the tensioner would be something like you describe. Make sure to post more pictures as you complete those items.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

1/10/2018 8:51 AM  #7

Received my March a/c pump fittings today.

1/10/2018 9:42 AM  #8

Very nice.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

1/10/2018 11:00 AM  #9

That's some real nice top shelf fab work there.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/10/2018 6:58 PM  #10

It DOES look wayyyyyyyyy cleaner than the standard "stick-it-on-top-and-live-with-it-look"!
Wonder if you could mount an AC pump to run off the driveshaft?!
Totally out-of-sight!
I like your work!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/14/2018 8:16 AM  #11

Nice work. For those of you that can't do that kind of work Concept One out of Georgia makes a kit that does the same thing with tensioner.  I put one on my 1969 Mach 351. I used electric power steering which really cleans things up. 

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

1/14/2018 10:27 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

Wonder if you could mount an AC pump to run off the driveshaft?!
6sal6

Yeah thatle work Mike, cept when your stuck idleing in traffic 
 Looks like its cool on the Strand today though , no need for A/C.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/05/2018 9:44 AM  #13

Well Guys and gals I have finished the A/C pump brackets and have added a new plan to get rid of the A/C lines under the hood.
First pic is the pump adjusting bracket.
This next two pics are just of the engine bay the way it look with a/c pump mounted

As you can see both the #10 and #8 line coming from the pump are going to the core support.

This is where the change is going to be made,  the #10 line and the #6 line will now go around to the inside of the fender.

The lines come around and up to the dryer.

#10 and #6 lines Run along the top of the fender

Both lines run into a bulkhead at the firewall on the inside of the fender.

The bulkhead comes out just under the stock heater box and the lines run just in front up and behind the glove box.

The two lines will run strait to my rebuilt factory stock A/C evap box

And yes I'm going to build sheet metal covering for all the a/c lines under the fender to protect the from rocks and such.

2/05/2018 1:07 PM  #14

Hi , really nice clean engine ! Nice job !
Please can you tell me the size of your AC belt ?  Is wider than the other as seems to me .

This is the question that mechanic asked me today when i filled up for first time :
" Why are you using a 10 mm belt instead of 12 mm as supposed to be from v groove in compressor.?"
I didnt know , and nothing was cleared on istruction kit for ac

I need to know how width should be  . Thanks !

2/05/2018 1:28 PM  #15

Alessandro wrote:

Hi , really nice clean engine ! Nice job !
Please can you tell me the size of your AC belt ? Is wider than the other as seems to me .

This is the question that mechanic asked me today when i filled up for first time :
" Why are you using a 10 mm belt instead of 12 mm as supposed to be from v groove in compressor.?"
I didnt know , and nothing was cleared on istruction kit for ac

I need to know how width should be . Thanks !

Well, you should ask this in a post I'm not real sure as I have a aftermarket crank pulley and all the groves are all the same size.  I do think that on a stock pulley that the a/c grove is bigger as in that you would need the bigger 12mm v-belt.

2/05/2018 5:22 PM  #16

A fine example of "hot rodding" IMHO!!!! 
REALLY like how most of your "stuff" is hidden.
What about the tensioner/idler pulley(s)?
Nice how you moved the alt. down below the compressor,BTW
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/06/2018 8:00 AM  #17

Nice work! 

Can you post some pics when you fab the heater lines?  I’d like to do the same, but am not sure the best way to go about it and make the various connections.

2/06/2018 8:39 AM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

A fine example of "hot rodding" IMHO!!!! 
REALLY like how most of your "stuff" is hidden.
What about the tensioner/idler pulley(s)?
Nice how you moved the alt. down below the compressor,BTW
6s6

At this point I don't see a need for anything more than the normal V-belt adjustment tension as this pump takes very little power to turn it. 

2/06/2018 8:41 AM  #19

Chaplin wrote:

Nice work!

Can you post some pics when you fab the heater lines? I’d like to do the same, but am not sure the best way to go about it and make the various connections.

Will do,

3/02/2018 11:32 AM  #20

A/C blowing nice and cold

3/24/2018 5:32 PM  #21

Very nice.  I especially like the hose routing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.