FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2018 3:18 PM  #1

Distributor

Ok, so now I need a distributor.   I want electronic ignition and vacuum advance.  I was going to go with a MSD ready-to-run and not use a box, but I understand that the module in the MSD is not replaceable and you have to send in the whole dizzy to have them repair it if it goes bad, which is less than ideal.

I haven’t used a Pertronix before but have read decent reviews. Can the module be easily replaced in the Pertronix?

Suggestions?

3/23/2018 3:22 PM  #2

Re: Distributor

It depends on whether you're talking about a Pertronix distributor or a stock distributor with a Pertronix module in it.  I have no experience with the Pertronix distributor, but on a stock distributor with a Pertronix module, changing the module can be done in a few minutes with just a screwdriver and a .030 feeler gauge (provided with the module)... as easy as changing a set of points.

3/23/2018 3:27 PM  #3

Thanks, I was talking about the Pertronix distributor itself, but I guess a stock dizzy with a Pertronix module is another option to consider.

3/23/2018 3:32 PM  #4

I did a quick google search and found this video on replacing the module in a pertronix distributor.  Doesn't look too bad.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjikvKasoPaAhXBq1kKHUAWAaIQtwIIUjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pertronix.com%2Fsupport%2Fvideos%2Fignitor%2Finstall-i2-billet%2Fdefault.aspx&usg=AOvVaw0II34OtxbsfAEizfGHGiDy

Last edited by Michael H. (3/23/2018 3:33 PM)

3/23/2018 3:32 PM  #5

I've had a stock distributor with a Pertronix module and vacuume advance for about ten years with no issues. I am using the Pertronix coil and bypassed the resistor wire from the ignition switch. Works great and is easily replaced.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/23/2018 3:38 PM  #6

BillyC wrote:

I've had a stock distributor with a Pertronix module and vacuume advance for about ten years with no issues. I am using the Pertronix coil and bypassed the resistor wire from the ignition switch. Works great and is easily replaced.

Same here, except I've had my Pertronix II module about 15 years and I didn't bypass the resistor wire.
I know some have had issues with leaving the resistor wire in place, but it has worked well for me.

3/23/2018 5:52 PM  #7

Pertronix is a very reliable setup.  I run an Ignitor in the stock distributor with 12V keyed going directly to the coil.  I also run their Flamethrower coil, because it has the right resistance value for their setup.  Been very happy with it, especially compared to points. 

3/24/2018 9:48 AM  #8

Noticed no one suggested a good ol'e Duraspark distrib. Modify it with lighter springs and hook it to a MSD ignition box (or make it all Ford stuff) and it should be bullet proof for a street rod!
Cheap too!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/24/2018 11:20 AM  #9

Well, after doing some research it looks like the Pertronix Flamethrower with the Ignitor III will fit the bill. It comes ready to run (no box necessary) with a steel gear, built in rev limiter,  springs and weights to customize the advance curve, vacuum advance, small cap, the module is easily replaced if it takes a crap and the price is not too bad- and probably cheaper than running a rebuilt factory dizzy with a box. So, that’s what I’m gonna order!

3/24/2018 5:30 PM  #10

I second the use of a Duraspark.  If have one on my 65 and it run flawlessly.  If you ever need parts then any auto parts store can provide them for little money.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.