FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2013 7:22 AM  #1

trunk mounted battery and 3g questions

After reading Day's post, I was wondering if I have some 0000 cable, and some 00 cable, but not enough of each to do both positive and negative runs of trunk battery relocation, which would be better for positive side, or is it a tossup? I bought the 00 years ago when it was under a Buck a foot, and friend gave me the 0000 wire. Also, does anyone have any good pictures or diagrams for battery relocation and 3g conversion?  Lost most everything on my computer.....again. thanks, mike

7/12/2013 9:06 AM  #2

Re: trunk mounted battery and 3g questions

On my rear battery set up I modded the O/E battery mount so I could relocate it to the rear.
I ran my cables inside  so there were no wires on the underside of the car. I have some very thick insulation on the floor and the cable war routed right beside the convertables inner rocker panel and the cables don't show underneath the carpet.

With a little persuasion the original brace was a perfect fit

This shows the stiffening support on outside of the trunk panel drop

Here are the cables I used. The starter cable is 1/0 and the one to the alternator is #4 welding cable.

Last edited by Rudi (7/12/2013 9:07 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/12/2013 9:41 AM  #3

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

7/12/2013 10:58 AM  #4

Same schematic I used for mine Daze. Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (7/12/2013 10:59 AM)

7/12/2013 11:05 AM  #5

cougrnut wrote:

After reading Day's post, I was wondering if I have some 0000 cable, and some 00 cable, but not enough of each to do both positive and negative runs of trunk battery relocation, which would be better for positive side, or is it a tossup? I bought the 00 years ago when it was under a Buck a foot, and friend gave me the 0000 wire. Also, does anyone have any good pictures or diagrams for battery relocation and 3g conversion? Lost most everything on my computer.....again. thanks, mike

I just did the 3g conversion on my fox. From what I read, whatever gauge wire you are using for the charging wire, the ground wire must be the same gauge.  Its only fair. Electrons flow in a circle from negative to positive.   Same goes for battery positive cable to solenoid and negative ground cables.

I also read that the megafuse should be rated at the size of the wire that its going to protect.  And the wire size is determined by how much amperage is going to be pushed thru it.  so the first thing to determine is how many amps may possibly be pushed thru that wire.   A 130 amp alternator can push 130 amps or more so it needs a wire that is rated at 130 amps.  A 4 gauge wire can easily handle 136 amps.  Now that you have the wire size, now you need to determine the fuse size.  Then to protect a 4 gauge wire, a 125 amp mega fuse is used.  Fuses don't break the instant it reaches its rating. It can go on for several seconds and maybe even minutes when its well over 130 amps.By that time  damage can occur to wiring and devices. so putting a fuse in thats rated at 175 amps will never blow before the wiring and devices get damages.  

On Daze's diagram it shows 6 gauge wire with a 175 mega fuse. I don't think that matches up well.

The wire that connects the megafuse to the battery ( or solenoid bat terminal if thats where you're going to connect the charge wire) should be the shortes length possible, since that section of wire is really unprotected.  The megafuse only protects the wiring between the megafuse and the alternator, it does not protect the wire between the megafuse and the battery.  By limiting the length of that wire to the shortest distance possible, the risk of that wire accidentally shorting to ground is reduced, and the lenght of wire that will need to be replaced later is less.  

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

7/12/2013 11:38 AM  #6

Both the 0000 and 00 are large enough to carry the current needed for this application. I would use the 0000 for the positive and the 00 for the negitive. Use a small piece of 0000 from the negative battery post to the body of the car in the trunk. from there run to 00 to the front of the car. Where ever you land your ground up front run other grounds to the body and engine as you normally would.This way the 00 wire and the body of the car are both being used as a return for the battery.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.