FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2019 7:44 PM  #1

What did you guys use under your carpet for sound deadener and heat

shield?   I remember MS saying he found something at Home Depot back a few years ago.   I seen this on Ebay and it looks good too. Thought if Im adding AC I should do this.  Did anyone do there doors underneath the panel?   Thanks Steve69
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Deadener-Heat-Shield-Car-Insulation-Sound-Proof-Self-adhesive-Mat-39-x12/163144076504?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

3/28/2019 7:55 PM  #2

Re: What did you guys use under your carpet for sound deadener and heat

I used a product out of Canada called Be Quiet, Steve.  Looks just like the high priced spread but is significantly cheaper.  Lab numbers are nearly identical.  Seems to work.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/28/2019 7:56 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/28/2019 9:30 PM  #3

Steve69 wrote:

shield?   I remember MS saying he found something at Home Depot back a few years ago.   I seen this on Ebay and it looks good too. Thought if Im adding AC I should do this.  Did anyone do there doors underneath the panel?   Thanks Steve69
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Deadener-Heat-Shield-Car-Insulation-Sound-Proof-Self-adhesive-Mat-39-x12/163144076504?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I looked it up and they say it is only compatible in1966 fastbacks and Shelbys.  I did not look up any other years.  But it might be able to be fitted in other models.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/29/2019 1:11 PM  #4

Thanks for the info Guys!

3/29/2019 7:42 PM  #5

Be Quiet, Steve !?! I may see about some of that ...
.I used the Home Depot stick on stuff and I guess.....it works OK.
I would NOT stick anything on the bottom of the door though. Since rain/water drains down through the door via drain holes...keep those open!(maybe even enlarge them a tad)
I DID put the stick on stuff on the back side of the door panels(instead of the plastic vapor barrier) I also covered every single hole in the door.EVERY! Gives the door a heavier feel and does dampen sound .
Put the stick on stuff over the wheel wells to kill sound too!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/29/2019 8:49 PM  #6

The firewall got some can of spray stuff from the parts house. The roof and floors got Lizard skin for sound and heat. The jury is still out on how effective it is.

Factory jute insulation went of the top of Lizard skin / spray stuff for firewall and floors. Factory type insulation was installed for the roof.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/30/2019 2:56 PM  #7

I used  butyl self stick stuff from Home Depot very similar to what you linked. The roll was 12 inches wide and many, many feet long. I installed it in the doors, the floor, the trunk, the backseat panel, well just about everywhere. Once it was stuck it was stuck and takes a heat gun and scraper to get off. I have no idea it it helped as I drive with the windows down everywhere we go. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/30/2019 5:33 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

The firewall got some can of spray stuff from the parts house. The roof and floors got Lizard skin for sound and heat. The jury is still out on how effective it is.

Factory jute insulation went of the top of Lizard skin / spray stuff for firewall and floors. Factory type insulation was installed for the roof.

I am planning on using both the sound deadener and heat insulator stuff from Lizard Skin. But I'd be interested in your opinion, sounds like it did not make the difference you thought it would?

3/30/2019 10:56 PM  #9

I have use the Home Depot butyl stuff, but I have found the Lowe’s  is actually a thicker alum. Backing.  It’s also about 6” wide but about 15’ roll. Can’t beat it for $16. I’ve used it in firewall, roof, floor, doors, and inner fenders.  Stuff is great!
You can find it in the window section. As it is used for sealing the windows before brick or siding.

Last edited by Ozblitz (3/30/2019 10:58 PM)

3/30/2019 11:07 PM  #10

Raymond_B wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

I am planning on using both the sound deadener and heat insulator stuff from Lizard Skin. But I'd be interested in your opinion, sounds like it did not make the difference you thought it would?

It may have, I'm just not sure yet. I have nothing to compare it to, as in riding in other cars.

The third member had bad bearings and they were howling. That will be corrected this weekend.

One window needs adjustment and the vent window seals, so..... there is a lot of wind noise at speed.   

It could be great once I get them lined out.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/18/2019 11:14 AM  #11

I used the following combination: ACC sound dampening ( precut kit for coupe...fastback and convertible available too) and ACC carpet with mass backing ( I went with Essex with mass backing for my restomod).  I can actually hear myself think...when it occurs🤪.  All purchased from Rock Auto with the best prices I could find anywhere.  I purchased two years ago and still available on Rock Auto.  Just keep in mind that some stuff may not be available depending on their supply sources and season.  Sound damping is under Accessories tab and Carpeting is under Flooring tab.  I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase ACC (Auto Custom Carpets....www.accmats.com).

4/18/2019 12:41 PM  #12

Nos681 wrote:

I used the following combination: ACC sound dampening ( precut kit for coupe...fastback and convertible available too) and ACC carpet with mass backing ( I went with Essex with mass backing for my restomod). I can actually hear myself think...when it occurs🤪. All purchased from Rock Auto with the best prices I could find anywhere. I purchased two years ago and still available on Rock Auto. Just keep in mind that some stuff may not be available depending on their supply sources and season. Sound damping is under Accessories tab and Carpeting is under Flooring tab. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase ACC (Auto Custom Carpets....www.accmats.com).

Thanks for the info!

4/19/2019 4:46 PM  #13

I've heard of some people using a product called microspheres and they intermix them into different types of epoxy,paint,primers,and sealers of various types. There was some talk about in on chevy truck forums and others. Saying it works good.

4/19/2019 6:14 PM  #14

I used the automotive stuff under the carpet. And the home depot stuff on the roof and in the truck. Also used the mass back carpet. I used nothing in the doors but think the heavier automotive stuff would be better there.

4/20/2019 10:42 PM  #15

I used mass backed carpet with nothing else and am happy.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/21/2019 5:59 AM  #16

Steve-G wrote:

I used the automotive stuff under the carpet. And the home depot stuff on the roof and in the truck. Also used the mass back carpet. I used nothing in the doors but think the heavier automotive stuff would be better there.

I was considering doing the roof on my 69 but looked at a couple of youtube videos and when they talked about removing windows I said hell no...LOL 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.