FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2018 11:55 AM  #51

Re: Project Deadhorse....

Project Deadhorse LIVES!!!!!!!

The 5.0 mustang roller engine I rebuilt a year ago roared to life (again) today......it's been a long road but man it feels good to have this thing running.

Although there was a lot of anticipation involved, I willed myself to slow my roll and make sure I have all bases covered before I turned the engine over.  Double checked all my work and even doing that I managed to have just one small event...well, actually two.

The first one involved the duraspark set up.  I discovered I didn't have spark to the plugs (glad I checked)...forgot to run the "red" wire per the conversion instructions so, problem solved.
The second issue was minor in comparison,  after I ran the engine I checked for leaks and discovered one hose clamp on a heater hose needed attention.....problem solved.

On this car, the gas tank and fuel lines are all new and I didn't want to use them just yet because with my travel plans, fuel would be sitting in there longer than I'd like.  So, today I purchased a couple gallons of corn juice free gasoline and ran a line from the gas can to the fuel pump.  Placed the fire extinguisher close by too.
Drizzled a couple ounces of fuel in the carb and touched the key........it started right up.
Played with the timing and set it.  
For start up, I ran an oil pressure gauge....60psi on start up.......50 at idle after running it 30 minutes....I'll call that good.

Overall I'm pleased as evidenced by the smile on my face along with my exhaust infused clothing.....I really like the ignition system.  Restarts are quick.....glad I opted for this set up.

Now to install a drivers seat and back this thing out of the garage and put some driveway miles on it......

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/17/2018 6:55 PM)

.......common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden.......

1/15/2018 12:23 PM  #52

Great news Josh. Aint nuthin quite like a first fire up.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/15/2018 1:13 PM  #53

Congrats Josh.  It's nice to have a trouble free start up. Those 2 small events were nothing. I had a ton of negative thoughts running thru my mind when I fired up my last one.

Last edited by rpm (1/15/2018 1:14 PM)

Bob    69 Mach 351w, AOD Build-:http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44555-the--oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--is-back/

1/15/2018 1:32 PM  #54

Gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrate!!!  After reading your post on the Tech forum I was a bit nurval, thought maybe Richard had come by to help.   Butt, you didn't have any issues at all.  I'm really happy for ya, my friend. 

BB

I have found the true secret of life....keep waking up!

1/15/2018 2:15 PM  #55

Thanks guys......glad to see I semi-know how to rebuild an engine.  BB gets credit too for answering my silly questions during the process.
Forgot to say that she's got a mild lumpy sound.....not quite to 6Sal's spec's but it'll do for me.....

Pretty soon I'll be building the 5.0 engine I harvested from an Explorer so I can drop it in the fastback.....

BB.....Richard was and is no where to be found......but, me thinketh Jack may stop by this evening to help me celebrate...

1/15/2018 2:50 PM  #56

A-Ahh... You meant Mr Cranium.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/15/2018 9:00 PM  #57

Way to go Josh.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/30/2018 6:05 PM  #58

Been doing a little more tinkering on the beast and today I was finally able to finish the tailpipe installation.  Was waiting on a Summit order and those parts finally arrived today.  Fabriacated a couple of tailpipe hangers and.......all is well.  I used the GT rear valance from the FB so I could center the exhaust tips. I plan to modify a plain jane rear valance into a GT valance. 
In addition, I fabricated a temporary fuel tank......(I'm thinking about marketing it), and fired up Deadhorse.  WIth little effort, she backed out of the shop for the first time in three years and drove behind the building to idle and bask in the sunshine.......plus, that helps to keep  excess exhaust out of the shop.
Not sure what's next but, I'm sure I'll figure it out soon....perhaps more updates will follow as progress continues....
http://i64.tinypic.com/2cpx9nb.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/zmh2f9.jpg

1/31/2018 10:22 AM  #59

Josh,

Hope your car makes it to the bash.  It would be nice to see a work in progress.

Mustang Steve Bash in Glen Rose, Texas   September 15, 2018

1/31/2018 5:10 PM  #60

almcgee wrote:

Josh,

Hope your car makes it to the bash.  It would be nice to see a work in progress.

Al, 
It'll make it to "a" bash.....just not this year.  
Not so sure we'll be there for this years bash either...

2/03/2018 1:55 PM  #61

Yesterday, I was finally able to work on the new saddles for Project Deadhorse. About a year ago, I scored a set of 2006 GT leather bucket seats that I found at an all Ford salvage yard.  The side air bags had popped but, for $150 it was a good deal.
On Wednesday, I took the seats apart and removed the seat back covers. Then, made a trip to my trusty auto upholstry dude to re-sew the seams.  He said they'd ready 48 hours and he was true to his word. On the way over to the upholstry shop, I picked up a pair of Harbour Frieght hog ring pliers.  Unfortunatley they didn't have any rings so, I thought I'd see if I could purchase a few from the upholstry man.  As it turns out, he just gave me a handful for no charge.

Once home, I started with the passenger seat and layed everything out on my back deck to let Mr Sunshine work is magic on the covers for a little while.  While that was taking place, I stole the electric knife and carved out a clunck of foam to fill the void where the air bag used to reside.  
Putting this all back together wasn't difficult and took about 30 minutes per seat.  IMHO, these are far superior seats than the originals and as an added bonus, I discovered they both are heated seats so, I'll be sure to wire those in and enjoy the additonal comfort.
In addition to this re-cover project, I wanted to raise the seats at least an inch so, I fabbed up some square tubing.  I say fabbed up square tubing becasue I didn't have any on hand but, I did have several hundred feet of heavy angle iron so, I just made my own!  By raising it this high, I was able to install the factory lower side covers on the outside of each seat.....gave me just enough clearance....
Here's a few pic's showing the pre-install set up all the way to the finished product.  They fit nicely in the coupe and are a definate upgrade.....
Check one more item off of the "to do" list.........
http://i65.tinypic.com/2hnqb9e.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2rwufib.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/16jezbd.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/5m01gk.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/zk4cj8.jpg

Last edited by josh-kebob (2/03/2018 1:58 PM)

3/07/2018 12:39 PM  #62

Josh, You will definitely love those seats on a Bash road trip.  Looking good Brother.

5/03/2018 8:48 PM  #63

Josh,
How about an update on your pony.
Haven't heard a word since March '18.
Cman66

5/08/2018 7:03 PM  #64

cman66 wrote:

Josh,
How about an update on your pony.
Haven't heard a word since March '18.
Cman66

Yeah, the coupe is in hibernation for awhile.  I'm currently at my northen michigan home and am now employed as the Marina Director for the city.  Working like crazy to get the place readied for the Memorial Day weekend opening.  I worked here in 2016 but, now i'm the bossman.......wish me luck.  The plan is to build a garage this summer to stable the mustangs and resume work......more on that later......thanks for checking on me....
jkb

5/10/2018 6:23 PM  #65

RETIREMENT It's a beautiful thing,

Cman66

10/17/2018 11:25 PM  #66

Thanks for sharing this post.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.