FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2019 8:46 AM  #1

More Tranny Leakage Issues

A while ago I had some tranny - its a C4 - leakage problems so the local shop replaced the linkage seals and it seemed OK. Then after not driving for 4 or 5 days I had a large puddle on the floor. I went back to the tranny guy and he said the problem was that I don't drive the car enough. He said when it is driven regularly blah blah the pressue that is built up blah blah holds the fluid in the front section blah blah and when the car sits for a while blah blah the pressure bleeds off and it leaks. Well, for a while I did drive it every day or two and no leaks. The weather has been terrible for the last week so the car was parked. Today I noticed a large tranny fluid puddle under the car. Maybe the tranny guy was right but I did not used to have the problem so I have doubts. The car used to sit for weeks with no leaks. Any thoughts?  

11/01/2019 9:11 AM  #2

Re: More Tranny Leakage Issues

The guy is right about sitting and fluid leaks down and rises the level above the linkage. What he didn.t say is his linkage seal fix didn't fix it. The linkage shaft sealing surface may be rust pitted to where new O ring can't seal it off completely.

11/01/2019 11:36 AM  #3

that and the dip stick O ring / gasket are the areas where leaks happen .. esp when they sit and converter starts to drain in to the pan and the level becomes high enough to start leaking again. Happened in my C4 too..

Why dont you do some detective work yourself.. get a couple cans of brakekleen, and spray the crap out of the trans so its fresh and new (any paint will come off so be careful if yours is painted) .. idea is clean it so well that when it leaks you can trace it ..

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/01/2019 11:37 AM  #4

I agree the tranny CAN leak after sitting for a while. Any chance the o-ring on the fill tube is bad or misaligned?  As the torque converter drains into the tranny, over time, it can cause an overfill condition that will leak out the overflow tube seal.  I used to have a 70 convertible with an FMX that was terrible about creating a huge puddle If not driven for a week.  If I used the car every few days, it stayed bone dry.

Not that it is NORMAL for it to leak like that... Surely they did not do it when they were new.  But, there is a weak link there somewhere that needs addressed.  Or, just DRIVE it more!.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2019 11:52 AM  #5

Actually I had previously learned about the filler tube problem. For a couple of months I changed pan gaskets, the pan itself and various other things chasing a leak. I finally noticed that the filler tube was not seated well. Problem solved. I'll get the Brakekleen out this weekend and see if I can isolate the problem. 

11/01/2019 2:01 PM  #6

Spray it with some white powder jock-itch spray from walmart.  Works great for finding traces of any kind of oil leak.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2019 4:40 PM  #7

Thanks Steve. I had just read your recommendation when my wife walked by saying that she was off to Walmart. So I said "Would you please pick up some Jock Itch Spray while you are there". I cannot repeat her response so I'll just say that it did not go well. After 48 years of "wedded bliss" one would think that I would have a better understanding of boundaries. Well, I'm off to Walmart. 

11/04/2019 9:58 AM  #8

LMAO !!!!

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/04/2019 11:06 AM  #9

My original C-4 leaked from the shifter shaft.
 The case was worn to the extent where a new "O" ring was not a fix and  I had to bore out the hole and make a bushing that pressed in to bring the clearance back to where it did not leak.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/24/2020 10:26 AM  #10

I think I may have isolated the leak. I sprayed a bunch of Mustang Steve's Miracle Cure on all of the potential areas and waited. The linkage, filler tube and other "suspects" remained dry. However, just aft of the pan where the extension housing connects to the body there was definitely "seepage". Incidentally, my tranny guy told me that area never leaks. I'm ordering a replacement gasket. My question - Is this something that I (a wannabe shade tree type) could tackle or should I defer to a "pro"? Thanks for any advice. 

1/24/2020 10:44 AM  #11

Did your "pro" tell you that area NEVER leaks?! Jus say'in.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/24/2020 10:46 AM  #12

The extension housing gasket should be easy but you may want to get the back end of the car up high or your'll end up with a lot of fluid coming out.  You'll have to remove the driveshaft but that will give you the opportunity to inspect the slip yoke bushing, the rear seal, and the u-joints while you are there.  Only takes a minute or two and if everything looks good, just put it back together.

Can't remember which thread I mentioned this before but early C-4's tended to have back flow problems when they sit which can produce some pretty big leaks sometimes.  There was a modification around 67 or so in the pump area and into the valve body to prevent oil in the cooler lines from running back into the transmission.  In the case where back flow occurs they tend to leak around the pump, shifter shaft, fill tube etc.  If the leak persists after changing the gasket that is one area I would check.   There are back flow preventers that can be installed in the cooler lines that will often solve the over-full issues.

1/24/2020 11:16 AM  #13

Good point 6sal6! 
WRT the back flow issue, I've had this car for 20 years plus and NEVER had this leakage problem after the car sits for a few days. A few months back I had some minor leakage from the linkage area (not big but irritating) so I had a tranny shop replace the linkage seals. Ever since that was done I've had this problem of a significant puddle of fluid. Everything is fine for 4 days or so and then the puddle appears. Maybe the extension housing gasket will help.  

1/24/2020 7:35 PM  #14

I seem to recall somethin bout a check ball and spring in some C4s. It's easily lost when you pull the valve body.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.