FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2019 10:19 AM  #1

Long slot rocker arms 1.6 ratio

Hi guys,
I'm looking for long slot rocker arms and I found comp cam 1231-16, but I'm not sure to purchase them because only into comp cam  web page is indicated they are long slot, all Others vendors of same article say standard slot.
Appreciated your help.
regards, Marco

I'm looking for no roller and no rail rockers

Last edited by Marco (11/07/2019 10:25 AM)

11/07/2019 10:50 PM  #2

Re: Long slot rocker arms 1.6 ratio

I found these, just a quick search online.
Guessing you have a high lift cam.
The ones you mentioned appear to be rail style as well.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nos681 (11/07/2019 10:53 PM)

11/08/2019 7:01 AM  #3

Thank you!!!

11/26/2019 5:58 AM  #4

My question is: is it possible to install 1.6 ratio rocker arms suitable for chevy (3/8" stud) onto a 289 Ford head?
Studs are same 3/8", ratio is the same, what is the difference? Pivot height with reference to a imagine line between rocker pushrod point contact and valve stem contact maybe?
Marco

11/26/2019 6:58 AM  #5

Marco wrote:

My question is: is it possible to install 1.6 ratio rocker arms suitable for chevy (3/8" stud) onto a 289 Ford head?
Studs are same 3/8", ratio is the same, what is the difference? Pivot height with reference to a imagine line between rocker pushrod point contact and valve stem contact maybe?
Marco

Although they share the same 1.6 ratio the distance from the center of the pivot to the valve stem contact pad and the distance from the center of the pivot to the pushrod cup is different. You can't use the Chevy rockers.

11/26/2019 8:18 AM  #6

Texas! wrote:

Marco wrote:

Marco

Although they share the same 1.6 ratio the distance from the center of the pivot to the valve stem contact pad and the distance from the center of the pivot to the pushrod cup is different. You can't use the Chevy rockers.

yes, sure, I understood. 1.6 ratio is on each rocker applied to its engine.

11/26/2019 9:06 AM  #7

Marco wrote:

yes, sure, I understood. 1.6 ratio is on each rocker applied to its engine.

Just to verify- the rocker ratio is calculated by dividing the distance from the pivot to the valve stem by the distance from the pivot to the pushrod.
Although those distances are different between a Ford rocker and a Chevy rocker they both equal 1.6 when divided.

12/08/2019 2:46 PM  #8

Hello guys,
I bought the long slot roker arm R879 but  i was not able to install it because the piece is not drilled for 3/8" stud. It is for 5/16". I will check again probably the correct one is R879B. Both description for R879 and R879B say will fit on 3/8" stud. I do not understand. Thank you for your help.
​Marco

Last edited by Marco (12/08/2019 2:49 PM)

12/08/2019 4:05 PM  #9

I hate when that happens.  Probably it just wasn't listed right.  Drives me nuts when companies do this.  Its a minor oversight that creates a huge pain for the end user. 

12/09/2019 12:03 AM  #10

That’s frustrating. Hopefully you can get the correct part soon.

12/09/2019 1:40 AM  #11

I think do not exist the right part, fortunately I bought only one piece to try the installation. I think this is not for stud installation.
Now I will procede with camshaft replace, I think it's the best solution to go in one certain direction, have not future troubles and save time.
I would like to make a consideration, I bougth the piece not from summit but from another vendor which have not specify the description, in any case it is probably wrong the description in the summit web page.
Thanks all for supporting. Marco

Last edited by Marco (12/09/2019 1:52 AM)

12/09/2019 6:04 AM  #12

Hmn, I know the non adjustable rockers used a 5/16" bolt.  Can't recall if stock size studs were 3/8" or 5/16". 

12/09/2019 7:34 AM  #13

I understand now that this type is not adjustable. The pivot is tightened to the threaded hole (5/16") on the boss on the head, the pushrod have it's properly lenght so all the geometry is correct once pivot is tightened.

12/09/2019 9:52 AM  #14

AND, big AND here, the rockers are also self aligning and do not use pushroid guideplates, and thus don't use hardened pushrods. 

12/10/2019 1:35 AM  #15

This would not be a problem because 289 my66 heads are self align rockers (no rail), the point where the pushrod pass through the head is slot type not an hole and guideplates do not exist (this is stock configuration).
I thought to modify the pivot, cut the bottom, drill to proper diameter.
Making this the pivot will work like the semispherical piece. but I prefer not to try with experimentation, I have not a spare engine and I would like to save the original components.

12/10/2019 9:05 AM  #16

What cam are you using?
Do you need the long slot arms to work with it?

12/10/2019 4:27 PM  #17

Compcam XE256H-10
valve lift  .477 - .484

12/10/2019 4:44 PM  #18

Marco, I don’t have enough experience with that to advise.
I figured I’d ask the question so more knowledgeable people can answer.

12/10/2019 5:13 PM  #19

Marco wrote:

Compcam XE256H-10
valve lift  .477 - .484

You can use stock rocker arms for that cam.  It is not much higher than stock.  I used  to have an Isky 262 with stock rockers.  It had approximately those lift values.

Just in case, you should try one out on an exhaust valve.    Or call Comp Cams - Yes it is a long way from Italy - 9-10 hours right?

Last edited by lowercasesteve (12/10/2019 5:15 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

12/10/2019 5:48 PM  #20

"Right-you-are-Steve"..........I can't see springing for the 'long slots' with lift under .500. Not needed IMHO
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/13/2019 7:28 AM  #21

I want to belive the stock rockers work without issues with compcam XE-256H.
Future check will be lifter condition and preload, pushrod (not bend) and rocker/stud interference.

...and I have also this question: are the stock lifter suitable for this camshaft?

Last edited by Marco (12/13/2019 8:27 AM)

12/14/2019 8:06 AM  #22

IME there isn't much magic in lifters.  I'm sure a stock style lifter is fine for that camshaft.  Obviously we aren't talking about reusing old lifters on a new cam, right?

12/16/2019 1:38 AM  #23

right, new lifters were replaced when the cam was installed. But due I dont know how the oil pressure reach inside the lifter, I mean timing sequence, it must be always in pressure by the oil, or during the cam is rotating the lifter itself close the oil pressure during the stroke when necessary? I made a research in the web but not found anything, only a sectional view of the lifter with parts description but not a description of how it work in the general, not only about it  functionality.

12/16/2019 6:53 AM  #24

Lifters are oiled from oil galleries in the block.  They are constantly surrounded by pressurized oil, which goes into the lifter through the feed hole in the lifter body.  Then oil then travels out of the lifter and through the pushrod to the rocker arm and splash oils the valve springs. 

12/16/2019 7:08 AM  #25

Thank you, so it is only the check valve that allows the oil to pass.
Ok, I found oil onto the rocker, so the system properly work.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.