FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2013 8:28 AM  #1

Another drive shaft question

I have a 66 coupe with T5 9" rear. The car is sittinng on all 4's. Right now there is no interior, glass or bumpers on it so some weight is missing. Don't know if the less weight makes a difference for my question. What is the minimum distance between the yoke and tail shaft. I guess as long as I'm asking what is the max.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/06/2013 8:52 AM  #2

Re: Another drive shaft question

My local driveline shop asks for the distance from the end of the actual tail shaft (not the housing) to the split on the u-joint mouht on the rear.  They then build a correct driveshaft based on those dimensions.  Any other dimensions are subject to the owners interpretation of where they think things should be.  Contact your local driveline/transmission shop and ask them what dimensions they prefer to work from.  Anything else and you're guessing and murphy comes into play.  If you are trying to fit up your current driveshaft, a lot will depend on the type of seal at the back of the transmission.  I like to see about an inch with the car at normal height.  Much less and you'll bind it up at the limits of suspension travel and any longer they yoke will not be fully seated on the splines and your tail shaft bushing will be doing extra work.  You also need to make sure the yoke you use is correct for the T5 as some are too long and may interfere with the speedo gear.

4/06/2013 9:22 AM  #3

The reason I am asking the question is I have thew drive shaft in the car, there is about 5/8" to 3/4" play between the yoke and transmission.

4/06/2013 9:47 AM  #4

wsin, that is perfect!!!!
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (4/06/2013 9:48 AM)

4/07/2013 11:20 AM  #5

Thanks Howard I feel better now. With all that bouncing around in the rear end I thought that was a little close. I'll probably check again when the car is fully loaded. Thanks again fo the response. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.