FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2020 12:08 PM  #1

Classic Auto Air install into my 67 Coupe.

I have been slowly making progress on installing a Classic Auto Air A/C system into my 1967 Mustang. I have posted in other threads asking about this-n-that but this thread is about the install.

I started on the engine side. I chose to install a new radiator along with the A/C so the first step was removing the old radiator, the grill and the hood-latch support. The grill and hood-latch support are removed to allow installation of the condenser.

The new radiator did not fit as the bottom tank contacted the forward face of the bottom crossmember so a little cutting, repositioning and welding convinced the crossmember to accept the radiator. I hate spot welds.

I drilled out the spot welds and pushed the bottom forward to clear the new radiator.

I welded the crossmember this morning and touched it up with a little paint. It looks great. Radiator and condenser will be installed last.

Now to mount the compressor. The instructions are not great for the compressor mount but I managed to figure out how it all went together. The big problem was that 2 of the 3 bolt holes in the driver side head were stripped. How the frack, or when the frack did this happen? I just happened to have helicoil inserts of the right size.

The HeliCoil repair kit.

I drilled the holes to 25/64 and tapped.

I used my favorite cutting fluid for drilling and tapping the aluminum heads. Diesel works great for aluminum but this stuff works better and smells good too.

A newly HeliCoiled hole.

The compressor loosely bolted in place.

The original crank pulley is a two groove unit. Inside groove for the alternator and outside for the PS pump. Both grooves are 6.125" diameter.

The A/C kit came with a nice looking 3 groove pulley. The two inside grooves measure 6.75" and outside groove for the A/C measures 6.125", the same as the original pulley. This pulley will drive the alternator and PS pump faster at all RPMs. The big problem is this nice new pulley will not bolt to my balancer. The hole spacing is different between the old and new pulleys. A manufacturing oops if I ever saw one. While the difference is small, but enough to not allow the new pulley to bolt on.

The old pulley:

And the new pulley:

I am still trying to get this sorted out with CAA's support department.

More to come.

Last edited by RV6 (1/05/2020 2:00 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/05/2020 12:22 PM  #2

Re: Classic Auto Air install into my 67 Coupe.

It does not matter if the holes are elongated, the pulley is supposed to locate center  on the damper. Something like a hub centric wheel as opposed to lug centric.
 My damper came with various sized adaptors.
 Sometimes a wierd size pulley hole needs a specially made concentricity ring.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/05/2020 12:53 PM  #3

I agree with Rudi.  As long as the pulley is held positively concentric with the balancer center hole, you can elongate the holes and there will not be an issue.  Is the offset of the pulley correct so the belts line up properly?

What radiator did you use that caused a fitment issue?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/05/2020 2:18 PM  #4

MS wrote:

I agree with Rudi.  As long as the pulley is held positively concentric with the balancer center hole, you can elongate the holes and there will not be an issue.  Is the offset of the pulley correct so the belts line up properly?

What radiator did you use that caused a fitment issue?

This is the reason FYI FORD is the best forum for early mustangs. 

My first thought was to enlarge the holes to make the pulley fit, but that did not seem the correct way to go about it. I had another pulley (OEM Ford) that I decided to use instead. It would not fit either! The powder coat on the concentric flange was to thick to allow the pulley to seat into the balance. I filed the powder coat off of the centering flange and bolted it on. 

Now Rudi and MS say as long as pulley is concentric, elongate the holes and bolt it on. I do that this afternoon and see how I like it. 

As for the radiator - New Aluminum from Engineered Cooling Products. A real beauty it is too. Take a look at the photo below and you'll notice the tank sits high compared to the mounting flange. The rear face of the front crossmember leaned towards the engine and interfered with the tank. The radiator support and crossmember came as one piece from Dynacorn. I moved the rear face of the crossmember so it would be parallel to the radiator support. Radiator fits now. 

1/06/2020 7:26 PM  #5

Are you using the original 67 lower brackets for the 24” radiator?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/07/2020 9:30 AM  #6

What kind of bracket system did it come with for the compressor?   Any pics?   I installed the vintage AC last year.  My compressor seems sky high!

Steve69

1/07/2020 10:31 AM  #7

MS wrote:

Are you using the original 67 lower brackets for the 24” radiator?

Steve,
The radiator is a 20".

1/07/2020 1:04 PM  #8

Aren’t the 20 inch rads flange mount?
The 24 inch I have is saddle mount.

1/07/2020 6:40 PM  #9

I realize this is a post about Air Conditioning.
But it did start out discussing radiator Fitment.
For information purposes I purchases a Radiator for a V8 Mustang II.
I know , I know that using Mustang II parts puts me at the back of the line.
But and this is a big but after cutting out the radiator support like the tech article says,
Radiator is a direct bolt in installation.
Core size is 16" tall x 23" wide 2 row. All aluminum rad @ $ 149.95
just my 2 pennies

Cman66

1/07/2020 10:00 PM  #10

Steve69 wrote:

What kind of bracket system did it come with for the compressor?   Any pics?   I installed the vintage AC last year.  My compressor seems sky high!

Steve69

Try turning your compressor 90 degrees so the hoses are on the side. It might look a little more streamlined.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/08/2020 11:33 AM  #11

HudginJ3 wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Steve69

Try turning your compressor 90 degrees so the hoses are on the side. It might look a little more streamlined.

That's a good idea!  Though they did talk about the compressor being straight up and down and not at any angles. 

1/08/2020 9:02 PM  #12

Most round compressors can be turned on their side. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/09/2020 10:19 AM  #13

As per the instructions I mounted the compressor on its side. Here a a couple of bad pictures of the mounting. 

1/09/2020 10:23 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

Aren’t the 20 inch rads flange mount?
The 24 inch I have is saddle mount.

Rudi, you are 100% correct. I have installed a two row 20" aluminum radiator. The fan now sits deep into the shroud which to my understanding is not optimum. I'll just have to see how it works out. 

1/09/2020 11:59 AM  #15

IIRC there are are different water pumps, long and short snout, could it be you have the longer one. . Are you using a fan clutch, that would make it worse.
You probably know that the fan should only go about 3/4” into the shroud, is why you are asking.

Last edited by Rudi (1/09/2020 11:59 AM)

1/09/2020 2:21 PM  #16

RV6 wrote:

As per the instructions I mounted the compressor on its side. Here a a couple of bad pictures of the mounting. 

Thanks for the pics and info guys!

Last edited by Steve69 (1/09/2020 2:23 PM)

1/25/2020 3:53 PM  #17

Update: I think I have the major under the hood stuff done. New radiator, new timing chain, new dip stick tube, new water pump, new hoses, new pulleys..... I think you get the picture. 

I had yanked the original heater assembly a few weeks ago and am now just starting the install of the A/C unit and vents. The defrost vents must be pulled to install the hoses correctly. To get the drivers side duct out requires I remove the gauge cluster. This can wait. The center vent has to have some sheet metal removed from the dash as it is 7/8" wider than the opening. 

Here is the dash partially cut using a nibbler.

1/25/2020 3:57 PM  #18

The nibbler I used to start the cut. Slow but works.

Butt, there is not enough room on the driver side to nibble the dash with the nibbler so the instrument panel must now come out. How I loathe pulling the instrument panel. 

Here's a shot of the engine side of things.
gif pho

1/25/2020 9:54 PM  #19

I used one  of those nibblers so much on my homebuilt in the early seventies it gave me blisters. I upgraded to an air powered one but the old one still comes in handy.

1/27/2020 6:56 PM  #20

Installing the A/C in the Beast is like building a homebuilt airplane. Put it together, take it apart, put it together again and then the hood won't close. Arg! The hood contacts the radiator cap. Nothing a die grinder won't fix but I have to take it apart once again.

Another question. On the picture below the long bolts, 1,2 and 8,9 go on the sides of the water passage. I have seen/read that they are through bolts to the water jacket and need thread sealant. I know for a fact that 2 and 8 are dead ends, what about 1 and 9. Have I screwed myself again and need to remove/seal/install the bolts again? Please disregard the yellow oval. 

The 86 5.0 sitting in my garage all long bolts are dead ends and do not penetrate the water jacket. I assume in 65 this was the case also and what I read on the internet is false. 

Last edited by RV6 (1/27/2020 6:57 PM)

1/31/2020 5:46 PM  #21

The A/C/Heat box is in.

What a pain in the arse this step was. The heater box would not fit between the dash bottom and the firewall by about 1". I tried a couple of times and there seemed to be no way the box was going to go into place. So, I decided to drill out the single spot weld holding the lower dash to the body and replace the spot weld with a bolt. There was also a hole just destined for a bolt and not a weld. Seems easy enough to me!

Before I removed the spot weld I decided to try once again to stuff the box into place. My thinking was that hundreds of these units have been installed and I could find nothing on the web mentioning this problem. So I again crawled in the car and stuffed till I was just about out of stuffing and the box popped in. Holy crap, I'm 1/8 of the way there.
Next came trying to install a 1/4x20x5/8 bolt from the engine side of the firewall into a nutplate on the box. The wife came down to help and we failed at lining up the nutplate with the hole in the firewall. Time to stop. As soon as I lowered the box to crawl out of the car Carolyn said she thought the nutplate was lined up. WTF over! No Way! Well she was right and I was able to thread the nut through the existing hole in the firewall and into the box assembly. A major acomplisment to say the least. 

I then installed the original fastener that holds the box to the cowl vent. We got lucky on this part of the install.

What a pain in the arse this has been to install A/C into my 67 Coupe.

I'm sure more woes of the install will be forthcoming.

Last edited by RV6 (1/31/2020 5:58 PM)

1/31/2020 9:01 PM  #22

Your trials and tribulations make me want to add A/C to my 69.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/01/2020 11:33 AM  #23

Your doing great Gary. Keep at it!!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

2/01/2020 6:45 PM  #24

This thing will get done! Today I spent working on my other constant need project: The Airplane. 

2/01/2020 8:13 PM  #25

The real RV6?

Looks great to me as well!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.