FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2020 6:03 PM  #1

You gotta love this hobby of ours.

The intent: Install A/C in the car.
Snowball starts rolling....
Need new water pump pulley.
Coil needs to be mounted on pax head instead of drivers.
Need new coil bracket as the one I got is probably big block. 
Time for new radiator for A/C install. Old one with 75K miles looks used up.
Replacement front crossmember poorly manufactured but installed anyway many years ago. Now need mods to fit new radiator.
New aluminum 2 core radiator. A real beauty if I say so myself. 
Need new dip-stick tube because new coil bracket is for a 67 and dip-stick is 65 and don't fit the new coil bracket. 
Old dip-stick tube breaks off in timing chain cover.
Remove timing chain cover to punch out the remains of the dip-stick tube.
Find I installed the oil slinger in the wrong position 73,000 miles ago.
Maybe I'll replace the timing chain since I'm in there. 
Decide to replace 25 year old water pump with new since I have it all apart.
New coolant hoses,
New heater hoses. 
Oh, and since access was grand since the radiator and grill were removed, let's upgrade the headlight wiring with relays.

Just one of those days.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/11/2020 6:43 PM  #2

Re: You gotta love this hobby of ours.

You’re doing great Gary!!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/11/2020 6:53 PM  #3

Sad thing is it's par for the course.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/11/2020 7:46 PM  #4

Just another day in the life of a classic Mustang tinkerer, hang in there gary there are better days ahead.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/12/2020 7:37 AM  #5

I have found I can always improve on the improvements I made years ago. It is like my own personal PREVIOUS OWNER SYNDROME. 

JOYS OF OWNING A CAR FOR 28 YEARS!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/12/2020 10:05 AM  #6

sounds like a fun day  Gary,

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (1/12/2020 10:06 AM)

1/12/2020 4:39 PM  #7

MS wrote:

I have found I can always improve on the improvements I made years ago. It is like my own personal PREVIOUS OWNER SYNDROME.

Amen.

1/12/2020 5:04 PM  #8

MS wrote:

I hear ya Steve. My BOB (Bucket-O-Bolts) has been in my possession for 40 years. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/12/2020 5:52 PM  #9

HI Rudi,hope all is well, keep your eye out if there's any local fastbacks going for sale 
jimmy

1/12/2020 6:18 PM  #10

RV6 wrote:

MS wrote:

I hear ya Steve. My BOB (Bucket-O-Bolts) has been in my possession for 40 years. 

I have to agree with you both. I have continued to improve on the improvements over the years.  And -  Bought mine new in 1966! (What is that? 54 years?) - I had to say something.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/12/2020 9:48 PM  #11

There are times when this hobby is frustrating, such as now. I bought the Mustang as a daily driver to replace my 55 T-Bird that got wrecked. It was not a hobby car. At the time it was a cool, worthless DD that I rebuilt as close to original that I could for lack of parts. It took me 4 months back then to do a body off "repair" that I then drove all over the country without any problems to speak of. The Mustang was it's replacement car that was a DD till it too wore out. I parked it for over 14 years with the intent to continue using it as a DD but it turned into a classic that the insurance companies would not insure for value except as a classic. As it turned into a classic it still didn't have any real value so I started doing things I wanted to it. I built this "hot rod engine" cause I wanted to learn about hot rods and its workings. I guess that's the hobby for me.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/12/2020 10:40 PM  #12

lowercasesteve wrote:

RV6 wrote:

MS wrote:

I have to agree with you both. I have continued to improve on the improvements over the years.  And -  Bought mine new in 1966! (What is that? 54 years?) - I had to say something.

Hey Steve................how bout post a picture of your 66!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/13/2020 5:56 AM  #13

Look at bright side Gary.

You’ll definitely enjoy this summer!

Looks good.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.